The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: A Question Regarding Policy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Dear Café Management and Members,

I would like to ask you all a few questions regarding the advertising and promotion of various services and products on "The Magic Café." First of all, whom must I contact in order to advertise via a banner in certain forums? Additionally, I am not sure that the rules and regulations are clear on what may be said or mentioned in a respective forum, in terms of product advertising or suggestions. I often read posts from creators of new products, who suggest their creations when an inquiry is made, or the topic is appropriate. It was my understanding when I joined "The Magic Café," that this was a place for "Magicians Helping Magicians," and also an appropriate place to give advice, suggest useful products/give useful reviews, and critique what is already on the market. Recently I have heard that the Café is cracking down on blatant advertising, but today alone I read posts by three creators/manufactures who were offering their products, web links, and pricing, without paying for advertising space on "The Magic Café." These practices do not bother me, and I believe that they are often helpful and informative, but I and many others are still unclear on the specific policies of "The Magic Café." Is it okay to suggest a product if you do not include price, must one be asked directly or indirectly about their product before they suggest it, or is mentioning something you sell or manufacture strictly forbidden under all circumstances? This post may be in the wrong forum, and I understand the possibility of it being deleted due to its controversial nature, but I simply would like some feedback and answers from other members, and the management in the know. It is my firm opinion and good faith belief that "The Magic Café," is a valuable resource for learning and helping each other. Furthermore, we should crack down on negativity and slander, and encourage positive feedback that will help us all grow in our art. I would greatly appreciate and explanation of the aforementioned questions, and hope that "The Magic Café," will continue to move forward in a positive direction, and maintain its high status among magicians young and old.

Sincerely,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
First I just want to take this opportunity to tell you about my great new product...just kidding.

First of all, I must say that your post is very well written and well thought out, I can relate to all of it (including the confusion...so I'm afraid I can't be any help in clearly things up). Regarding how to go about procuring advertising space, I believe Steve Brooks is the guy you want to talk to, I seem to remember him mentioning that in one of the forums at the top of the main page. I seem to remember the word "affordable" or one of its synonyms, too.

I, like you, would like to get some of this cleared up. I think that one of the largest problems is that because the Café is so large, it requires its members (All of us) to help police it, and crack down on rule breakers, because we can't expect the moderators to try and dig through some of the huge threads that go for 15 pages just to find one person advertising their product, using profanity, duplicate posting, flaming, being off-topic, or any of the other things that a post can be reported for. Remember you "Café-ians" the power is in your hands.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Nick,

Thank you very much for the kind words. From reading your posts it is quite apparent that you are a phenomenal thinker and illusion designer. Im sure many more than just you and I are concerned and unclear on the Cafés guidelines for advertising. Thanks again for your support.

Sincerely,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
Since these forums are supported by advertising, I can see why it would be a problem when people blatantly advertise in the forums. They are reaping the advantages of the forum without supporting it.

However, at the same time when, let's say there is a discussion about which Square Circle to buy and different features of different versions, and a member says "Oh, I make a Square Circle with such-and such features," then is that advertising?

When does it become advertising? When someone simply says, "I make a version of that effect?" When a price is inlcuded? When a link is given to a website from which they can order? Or when you are telling someone how they can order a dove effect in a topic about a Square Circle.

Perhaps it would be helpful if there were a list of concrete guidelines of prohibited behavior, as well as allowed behavior. This would ensure that everyone is treated fairly. In addition, it would give moderators a way to say "We told ya so, read the guidlines on the intro page" when disciplining members instead of referencing a more abstract policy.

Cris
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I am also curious as to whether there is a warning policy in place, or whether people just get booted without notice, for "advertising" too much in their posts.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I just [re]found the Café Rules and Etiquette post made by Steve Brooks himself. Rather than trying to break it down, here is the advertising section in its entirety:

Quote:
Advertising Policy:

We realize that many of our members are professional magicians who often create new effects, publish new works, etc.

Our feeling is that members who post here on a regular basis are more than welcome to let us know of their newest creations, as long as they announce such in the proper area. Please know I allow this as a courtesy only. PLEASE do not abuse this.

While you may something along the lines of:
"Check out my new book, it's available at your favorite dealer" What I don't want to see is: "Buy my new book, I take PayPal and you can find it on my site" or "We are now taking pre-orders for my new product, etc" There is a big difference between the two approaches. The former is making members aware of a new offering and telling them to see their dealers while the latter are both blatant ads. Postings that do not comply will be removed without reason or warning given.

Additionally, should you register and then post a blatant ad and leave, you can be sure that your post will be removed. In addition, folks who join The Magic Café and start making posts or sending private messages asking members to join their usergroup or message board will have those posts removed and are at risk of being banned. We are here as a meeting place for entertainers, not a free advertising service for your website. We think this is a fair policy.

If you are a dealer, The Magic Café does offer advertising space at a very reasonable cost, please contact us for details.

I still think that there is some haziness to where the line is drawn, but I don't think there can ever be a satisfactory, definite line drawn for something like this. Maybe Steve will grace us with an appearance and possibly aid us in our confusion.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com