The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Siegfried and Roy Levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I was never lucky enough see S&R perform live. Sometime ago I was told once they performed a levitation method using "Electro Magnetic" System. I do not know how true it is.

It's not the pole levitation. It looks just like asrah but with no connection at all.

Anybody seen it in action and would be kind enough to share some thoughts??

Someone is been pulling my leg or maybe you thought it was just asrah.

They performed it years ago and I'm not sure if they continued to perform that illusion.

Roy floats in air and Siegfried passes a big hoop.

I've seen in a photo but not sure it's the same method I'm talking about.

:kewl:
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
...you've got to be joking
DANSPERRY.COM
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Nope,

I know who has made the illusion but I am just wondering if someone has seen it in action.

I also know other magician who has it. I've contacted him to gather more information.

you can call it a very big version of floating pen novelty in the market (the horizontal model)
Cao314159
View Profile
New user
Seattle
87 Posts

Profile of Cao314159
A high level of electro-magnetic radiation is harmful, and the amount that you are talking about is enormus. Plus, if the magnet was powerful enough to attract a human, think what would happen to the audiences pagers, watches, cellphones, pacemakers, or manetic jewelry!
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Mehtas,

The levitation you mention is the one where Siegfried floats inside a giant balloon. It was initially only performed on their tv special because it could only be performed upstage. If I am not mistaken they eventually performed it on stage for a while, too. The method you mention is very close to the truth.

Regards,

D
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
At last someone who knows about it,

Thank you for the input david.

Anybody has that performance on tape??

AmazingA
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
151 Posts

Profile of AmazingA
Is the levitation you're talking about with the ring and it turns into fire for a second during the trick?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Don't know. I haven't seen it in action so far but I'm sure it uses the method I'm talking about at the start of the thread. There is nothing around when the person is floating horizontally, apart from the 2nd person standing there with a hoop.

They were very young when this was performed. so I'm going back many years.

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Well, now that they are no longer performing, I do know that they bought two, 3-in-1 (Now called Multi-Purpose Levitation) from Dutch. This illusion is really powerful and had multi uses. One of them being able to give the impression there is no visible means of support.

Stay tuned as I develop the website for this Multi-Purpose Levitation Illusion. Every time I play with this thing, more stuff pops up and I have to redesign the website. I got it so it can be a Sword Suspension to a levitation, Flying Carpet Suspension to a levitation, A Ladder, Stool, Saw-Horse, Pillar, and Chair Suspension to a levitation, a horizontal levitation from the floor, a vertical levitation from a standing position, a vertical levitation facing the audience or sideways with a 360 spin like a propeller.

Almost any object can be levitated, too, such as your Lefler or Laflin magic table, a mini-bike, a computer desk with child sitting on it, etc. If you can imagine it, and keep it under +-300 lbs, it can be levitated. (Can it levitate an elephant or a car, well with a lot of redesigning, that is even possible, although I don't think the elephant would like it.)

One can levitate an audience member numerous ways. The coolest, is the volunteer brings up their folding chair and places it on stage and that chair and the volunteer levitates.

WOW I can't wait to make some movies on it. I am also working on a remote control AC/DC model which will surpass the Gamolo's capabilities. (Tore apart my Gamolo to use some parts to see if I can get a working model. I'm trying to elimate the need for a Stage Hand.)

Although I haven't seen how Sigfreid & Roy used two of these levitations, I do know they are brainstormers and combining two of these has many capabilities.

I do want to publically thank Dutch Haling (Saydean, here on the Magic Café) for selling me the rights to produce and market this wonderful illusion.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Then I think it's a diffrent illusion than what I'm talking about.

I have seen the 3 in 1 thingy. That is Lady Cutiing, AGA and ASRAH.

The one I'm talking about is totally diffrent, and the man who made it for them just lives a couple of miles away from my home. There is NO connection to the person floating in air.

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The Multip Purpose Levitation (3-in-1) doesn't do the Lady Cutting, AGA and Asrah, that is another illusion. It's on the same line as the Gamolo but with a lot more capabilities.

Sigfried & Roy had thiis illusion and used it in their act.
Dennis Michael
Lord of Illusion
View Profile
Veteran user
Has his enemies stuck on
310 Posts

Profile of Lord of Illusion
Are you perhaps refering to their version of the Levitation of Princess Karnac?
Edward Wolfgang Poe,

The Necromancer of the South
Brent W
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Brent W
I believe he is talking about the levitation that Siegfried performs with Roy on top of one of the tables in the audience. It was performed on their ABC special, and I don't think it was ever done during their regular show. The audience members all hold up lighters during the routine. Really looks fantastic!
Lello999
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Lello999
Well, there was a long thread about their TV special (that with the baloon and the free flight within the audience in a German magiv magazin short after it was aired and they mentioned that the flying thing was consulted by Steinmeyer and built by Gaughan but I think Foy was involved as well)

Hope that helps
Domenik
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 08:07, Mehtas wrote:

The one I'm talking about is totally diffrent, and the man who made it for them just lives a couple of miles away from my home. There is NO connection to the person floating in air.

I think you're refering to their levitation where he floats out into the audience.

If that's the one, then a few days ago, I was catching up with Peter Diamond of Preston, Lancashire and I quizzed him about this levitation he built for Seigfreid and Roy. He said it involves more than just a ma**** and that it would cost in excess of £9,000, which equates to just over $14,000. Peter Diamond of Preston, Lancashire is still in demand and building spectacular illusions and he said the lead time on this levitation project would be between 3-4 months. I've got Peter Diamond's mobile number if someone wants to give him a ring, PM me for details.

Kind regards.

Neil.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Neil, you do realise you are answering a post that is about 7 years old?

Just saying....
bluedragon
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of bluedragon
Quote:
On 2012-04-19 06:53, Loual4 wrote:
Neil, you do realise you are answering a post that is about 7 years old?

Just saying....

Yes I understand this is a very old post, though I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I've had a bit of a response which is good though, at least I can help somebody out.

Cheers.

Neil.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Yes ... it is all done with magnets! No, really ... it's all true!

Steve
Steve Knight
View Profile
Elite user
Oxford U.K.
479 Posts

Profile of Steve Knight
In the early 90's Mr. Diamond had a photo of a levitation on the wall of his studio. Visiting magicians were told that it involved absolutely none of the usual connections with the 'floatee'. No method was mentioned.
Philip Hitchcock
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Philip Hitchcock
I was offered the Electro Magnetic Levitation by Peter Diamond about 18 years ago.

It involved just a small box that was placed beneath the stage and all the assistant had to wear was a small belt. The only restriction was that there had to be no steel beams above the working area. He didn't have the device in stock so I ordered one to be built for me. A week later I received a letter stating the guy who builds them for Peter had just passed away so it was no longer available.

I have heard of others with a similar experience. I do not believe the illusion exists or is possible. However, I would love to be proved wrong.