The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: New David Copperfield Tour: "World of Wonders" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 18:01, Clock wrote:
In Vegas right?

Wow...this is very strange; but awesome! Come on, Dave...Fly again!

Was the name of the show different?

Yes it was the Hollywood Theater at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The have changed the name to Wonders of the World. Chris Kenner told me they are going on tour outside the U.S. for a few weeks.
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Eyes of Darkness
Was it David or an assistant lying down on the death saw table?
Did just David appear in the audience after the fan or did both David and the girl appear?
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
The stepladder has me thinking too. Tony Ko who runs an awesome site dedicated to Dave said that one of the new illusions would be a HUGE levitation. Could this be the reason for the huge stepladder? It could possibly be a huge aquarium that houses a (insert favorite sea-animal here). Only Dave and his crew know for sure; thankfully we will to one day.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Wow... hes actually performing illusions again. Good to hear, but let hope they go on the road with him.

Thanks for the rundown... Id pay to see that show in vegas. Just would be disappointed if it were the last show that came here as there were a total of three illusions.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I don't know what show you went to, magicaldj1.
I'm currently in Vegas and saw the show on the night of the 18th. It is exactly the same show he has been doing for the past few years. The name has not been changed. It's still "An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion".
There is no Elevator, Death Saw, Fan, or Motorcycle Vanish in the show.
The only major change was the fact that he removed the Portal illusion.
It's all in the reflexes.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
226 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Meauxfeaux,

Because of his upcoming tour, David has occasionally played a different show. Most of the time, he has performed the one featuring the motorcycle appearance, the steel plate penetration, the squeeze box, the lottery, the slow-motion duck vanish, "Thirteen", etc... However on several occasions (such as the Saturday matinee) he has performed other pieces such as the fan, the death saw, etc...

I hope this helps clear the misunderstanding with magicaldj1.

Regards,

D
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Thank you for the clarification, David.

I will say, however, that it was the worst show I've ever seen him do. Sloppy, rushed. He just doesn't care anymore. He treated the audience disrespectfully and spoke so fast that even I had trouble understanding him.

I also saw Mac King and Lance Burton on that same day.
Lance's show left me completely cold. The show is... well, flat, in my opinion. To be sure, there many things I liked and I certainly won't deny that the audience seemed to really enjoy it.

Mac King, on the other hand, killed. His show puts Lance and David to shame. Period.
It's all in the reflexes.
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
Im really surprised at your Lance remarks. To me, he has always done the best illusion show in Vegas. Mac is good as well, but they are apples and oranges.
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
I like oranges better.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/events/im......nner.gif

HIGHTLIGHT SHOW
DAVID Copperfield - WORLD OF WONDER

THE FAN
David walked through the Great Wall of China. This time, he’ll do it with an element of danger. David attempts to walk through a two-story tall high powered industrial fan in full view of the audience, proving that dreams can dissolve barriers.

DEATH SAW
Possibly the most deadly illusion ever conceived. David must cheat death every night while attempting to escape being strapped and shackled down underneath an enormous unstoppable spinning saw blade. Copperfield’s only way of escape is to pick the locks in record time, before the blade tears him apart using only a hairpin borrowed from a volunteer in the audience.

THE LOTTERY
Inspired by David’s grandfather’s unfilled dream, “The Lottery” is an astonishing epic of brain-busters. Copperfield involves the entire audience, and shares his secret technique for predicting the winning numbers of “The Lottery.”

SQUEEZEBOX
Copperfield takes liposuction to a whole new level as the six-foot-one “King of Magic” gets squeezed into a bite-size piece that could fit into a Prada shoebox.

MOTORCYCLE
Copperfield brings visual magic to a new level by vanishing a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle, suspended in air while he is still on it.
WALTHER
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Seems clear to me why he is doing this.
All his tricks in Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion have a lot of talking and audience participation. Most of these tricks require little to no translation (as he is performing in Bangcock). I could be wrong though.

Best,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
tvmagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tvmagic
Quote:
On 2007-09-13 17:20, magicaldj1 wrote:
and the motorcycle vanish.

Hey magicaldj1,

Do you happen to remember if he's still using the van Halen song for the motorcycle vanish, or was it something else? That'd be kinda funny if it's still van Halen.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Tvmagic:

The Van Helen song is ageless. He could us it 20 years from now and it will still be a cool inspiring song.
Reynold
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
And David Lee Roth is back with Van Halen, however it was Sammy Hagar doing the vocals on Dreams.
tvmagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of tvmagic
Hey Reynold,

I agree it's a great song. Just a little... retro. Ya know? Seems like DC would wanna stay away from the 80's. I could be mistaken. But yeah, that song's got a great energy and I thought it worked great for the cycle illusion when he opened his 1990 special with it. Was just curious if he'd changed it or not.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Copperfields current program or illusions is just a prelude to his up-comming and 'newest' show. It is a sort of a 'get ready' and great PR so to speak...Funny thou is that the mention of some of his 'best illusions' here at the Café are currently performed by him at certain times in Vegas.

You also have to keep in mind that when a performer reaches a certain age the one or the other illusion wouldn't fit or feel right anymore. For example: In my opinion one of his best was flying...simply awesome...'but' to fly gracefully across stage the performer 'unfortunately' has to have the right 'look' and age. I saw him do that live in 95' in Munich (on a small stage, and yes it can be performed on any stage. Just when you think you figured out the complete Flying apparatus looking at John Gaughans patent, you still don't know the rest and complete flying illusion...which is well protected by John, rightly so).

Anyhow, just picture yourself DC flying at his current age....Honestly, I wouldn't do it. Plus there is a certain risk involved and the people who are in the know understand what I am talking about....BUT, with the words of Pete Biro, I finish my post... Stay tuned.

I know that the next Copperfield show is going to be great. And yes it is going to have a levitation....and a great one. Smile

==================

Quote:

On 2007-09-02 09:30, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-09-01 20:48, Lance Richardson wrote:
I did find this line from the article of interest “Copperfield's magic and illusions without the aid of camera tricks or visual effects have thrilled billions of people around the world” do you think it has anything to do with the growing knowledge of CA and his use of camera tricks?

I think it was only a matter of time. Imagine you EARNED your way to the very top of the magic world and some guy comes in and steals that spot with a bunch of camera tricks. More people know of Criss Angel these days than Copperfield. Copperfield performed his way to the top and most likely resents someone passing him with camera tricks. Yes... Copperfield used camera tricks in the past but made a decision NOT to do that anymore and only do live performance... then the camera tricks come back to haunt him big time. LOL

How would Tiger Woods feel if Happy Gilmore had more respect in the Golf world??? LOL

David didn't mention Angel by name but I'm guessing the mention of edits were aimed in that direction.

BTW... where is a NEW show mentioned. The article has a different name for the show but I didn't see the word "new illusions" in there.

Best,

Tim

I agree Tim...And the next age of illusions (illusionists) is going to be the era of 'The Prestige'. The Pledge....The Turn..........Voila!
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hi everyone!

I'm in Malaysia..

He's performing here, end of next month..

Hope it's great! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicaldj1
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, Wisconsin
122 Posts

Profile of magicaldj1
Tvmagic:

yes he did use the song
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
On 2007-09-29 12:06, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm in Malaysia..

He's performing here, end of next month..

Hope it's great! Smile

Have you purchased tickets or seen any material printed about his visit there? I still have not seen anything concrete about his show being outside of Vegas. Even looking at ticketmaster.com they show him in Vegas well into 2008.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
rocky424
View Profile
New user
Boca Raton, FL
54 Posts

Profile of rocky424
Go to Copperfield's official site and view his Tour information there. It's been updated to reflect the international locations of touring.