The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Wakeling Sawing (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Taylor
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
136 Posts

Profile of John Taylor
I'm fortunate enough own Peter Reveen's old Wakeling Sawing as performed in this video by the Great Peter Reveen and his wife Coral.
The prop is still beautiful and was built by John Gaughan. I love the illusion and have a nice routine but I haven't performed the effect in 9 years as the props been deep in storage. But I just got the prop out the other day and started rehearsing with it as Cherry has never performed the illusion before.

Below is a video of Reveen performing the Wakeling Sawing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWL99Wik9o&feature=related
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
WayneNZ,

Cannon's Great Escapes in California sold a fantastic set of restraints for the Wakeling/Selbit Sawing. Unfortunately, they closed up shop a couple of months ago, but they still may be able to help you if you send them an email.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I love watching Rick Thomas slam the crap out of those things. It just looks like he has zero regard for her safety....which is perfect Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-09-30 17:09, John Taylor wrote:
I'm fortunate enough own Peter Reveen's old Wakeling Sawing as performed in this video by the Great Peter Reveen and his wife Coral.
The prop is still beautiful and was built by John Gaughan. I love the illusion and have a nice routine but I haven't performed the effect in 9 years as the props been deep in storage. But I just got the prop out the other day and started rehearsing with it as Cherry has never performed the illusion before.

Below is a video of Reveen performing the Wakeling Sawing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnWL99Wik9o&feature=related

Nice clip! The swords look like they were made by Wellington.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
John, If memory serves I believe the Reveen unit was one of 3 "specials" John G. built. Not sure what was special about them, but Reveens' was a beauty. I saw him do it several times (1977 and again in 1980) before the show (his last big illusion show) closed here in Montreal at the end of a 4 plus week run.

Looking back a bank loan could have come in handy at that time, as all the props were put up for sale from a warehouse just across the U.S. border from here. Lot's of beautiful equipment and costuming, props by Gaughan, costumes by Lambert. I believe Peter Hart from England picked up most of, if not all off, the entire show, wardrobe and all.

Blair
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I had an Amish harness maker near me make a replacement set for a guy once. I am sure that I could get them made again but you would have to gaff them yourself.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
CA-Lynx
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of CA-Lynx
If you build yourself keep in mind that the straps are a little tricky to make.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
The best straps and collars are simple heavy nylon dog leashes and collars available at your local pet store. More comfortable for the assistant as well. Good pet stores also carry heavy leather leashes and dog collars, if you want the leather look. You can also go to your nearby equestrian (horse) supply and find leather leads. Most towns also have a local saddle maker who could fabricate the props. On a similar vein, I remember taking a large 6 foot two-man tree saw to a local saw sharpener to have the teeth ground down to make a fine crosscut saw for the box (the regular teeth on a tree saw will tear the box up.) It was a BIG job. But because I told the owner of the shop that I was a magician and the saw was going to be used to saw a person in half, he only charged me 20 bucks!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Lol... David, you always have the best dirt! The nylon dog collars are a great idea. I always used the tack shops for the horse leads as well. The real secret you mentioned is letting the shops in on what you're doing (just the idea, not the secret) and they'll do anything to help you out.
Ray Pierce
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Ray - And when using the dog collar you can always use the great Stan Kramien line when the volunteer is strapping up the assistant: "The one around her neck is guaranteed to keep her free from fleas and ticks for 90 days!" Always got a laugh.
magicboy7
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
45 Posts

Profile of magicboy7
We built a few of these and made it out of metal and covered it with wood veneer. You a get a few inches in both directions and cut down on weight. In addition many rare wood veneers are available.I used South African Rose wood turned out great.
magicboy7
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
45 Posts

Profile of magicboy7
Looking back at the posts regarding the straps. I had mine done by Richard Hughes he found some folks who do leather work for horses.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Magicboy7, do you have any photos you can share?
It's all in the reflexes.
JeremyTan
View Profile
New user
has magically produced
89 Posts

Profile of JeremyTan
One of the best "sawing a lady in half" illusion IMO. http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/wakesaw.html makes the best I guess. anymore links?
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jeremytanmagic

Instagram: @jeremytanmagic
TikTok: @jeremytanmagic
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
Hey Jeremy!

- Dean
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I live in the heart of the Amish communities. In fact, I will probably go and see my harness maker this week to see what kind of prices we are looking at to make replacement strap sets. I should add that there might be some variances depending on the manufacturer.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I am about to start building mine and was looking at the supply list and was wondering where I can get the restraints. Anyone ever think of going into an "adult" shop to get the products? Not sure if they would have them but seems logical. Serious question but I am sure my very mature friends will laugh so, let the comments roll!
RJE2
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of RJE2
Quote:
On 2012-04-09 10:23, WayneCapps wrote:
I am about to start building mine and was looking at the supply list and was wondering where I can get the restraints. Anyone ever think of going into an "adult" shop to get the products? Not sure if they would have them but seems logical. Serious question but I am sure my very mature friends will laugh so, let the comments roll!

Wayne, you might be surprised at some of the props being sold and or used that originated in the adult shops. Smile Anybody else remember the Thumper Wars fought out right here at the Café?