The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Speaking of Rip Offs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
Glad we could lighten your day
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
This is obviously a tough call .. but, if you've got a policy on your site not to except unauthorized illusions then I think you should stick to it. You lose your credibility otherwise.

I understand your trying to help out a poor lady .. but, I think the Auction is the wrong place to advertise an item like this world-wide. How do you unload a prop like this .. well, that's hard to say. It's obviously a copy of Bill's work .. so indirectly you're taking money out of his pocket .. right??

Steve
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Stolen intellectual property should be destroyed, not sold so that it can continue to exist in the community. Hard core as that position is, why does the widow of a knock-off purchaser deserve improper consideration over the man who's blood, sweat and tears were spilled inventing the device in the first place?

The design and secret of this illusion belongs to Bill Schmeelk, and he has a right to protect his property. Suppose, instead, the widow discovered a stolen car in her garage that she didn't know her husband had. Should we encourage her to sell it and pocket the money, or should we defend the rights of the person it was stolen from?

The only fair remedy for this is to destroy the prop, and pursue the knock-off builder legally.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
Steve I agree with you.. its a very tough call and Bill has the right to do as he seems fit... Right or wrong.. I just cant take a hard core postion on this.. Due to the fact I know the lady involved.. so I cant say I disagree with Thomas Wayne on this.. I just have to much emotion tied to this to take a black and white postion.. I do respect everyone's input.

Don
tomtweed
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of tomtweed
I appreciate many of the comments made with regard to the See-Thru Guillotine. I received an acknowledgement from Magic Auction and Joe explained the situation. After some considered thought, I have emailed Magic Auction and explained that I simply cannot sanction the sale of something that her husband had no right to build. Just because a thief dies, does not give his widow the right to sell his stolen merchandise. Another point is that whoever it is sold to should be told that they are buying an unauthorized copy. The sale of that copy takes money from my pocket. Furthermore, if I sanction the sale, then what happens in a year or so when the person who bought it decides to sell it. It's just a bad situation all around and I have asked that they pull it from the auction site. If I had my way, the prop would be destroyed. As the patent holder, to protect myself from future theft of my patent, I am required to show due diligence in protecting it.
I mean absolutely no ill will to the widow and I hope there is enough other magic for her to make some money.
Thank you again for the comments and hope my position is understood.
Best to all,
Bill Schmeelk - Wellington Enterprises
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It's a sad situation all around, but Bill does have to protect his work .. it's that simple.

I was also pleased to see that the Magic Auction did in fact remove the item from their website.

Looks like this case is closed for now ...

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bill has tried to handle this in a gentlemanly fashion. He could actually sue the estate for damages from patent infringement.

I agree with Thomas that this prop should simply be destroyed. I know of a guy who unknowingly bought a knock off ladder levitation. It was sent to Walter Blaney who destroyed it and put in his trash over the course of several weeks so no one could reconstruct it.

Right is right.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I have owned several choppers, including an old Abbott's Chinese Chopper, several Lester Lake guillotines and I now own 2 of Wellington's See Thru Guillotine. There is nothing that compares to Bill Schmeelk's Creation of the Wakeling See Thru Guillotine. It's a unique and wonderful guillotine.

The See Thru Guillotine is not only a phenomenal piece of performance equipment, Bill Schmeelk's service is second to none. I bought my second one as a back-up when I'm traveling in the States and keep it stored there.

The rip-off should be destroyed. Helping this widow and the infringement of Bill's rights are 2 separate issues. Can't church, friends and Café members help this magician's widow out financially? I'd be willing to make a donation.

Lou
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
Lou,

Very well put and I couldn't agree with you more.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Good luck getting any response from Magic Auction. I have emailed them twice in the past month or so with no response. Someone is selling a Proline OLEC cage and are stating that it is the only piece in the world built like it but I have the exact same cage that Cliff at Proline built for me........

Take care

Bryan
Bob Meigs
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bob Meigs
Apparently this See-Thru-Guillotine is listed again on Magic Auction (Sept 5), or might there be more than one?
Bob Meigs
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Yep ... that's the same one from earlier this year. Same story, same policies being broken .. go figure.

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
There are plans for the see through guillotine in one of the Osborne books.
Dennis Michael
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
WOW WOW WOW.... this is easily the most heartless thread ive seen on this website thus far.
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
If it's the same one we're talking about, it's still up on Magic Auction at 5:00PM PST on Septembr 7, 2009.
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 16:10, videokideo wrote:
WOW WOW WOW.... this is easily the most heartless thread ive seen on this website thus far.

I agree.