The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Flying (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Gitty, I was looking for that video for the longest!!! THANX!! I am afraid to guess how much that rig Franklin is using cost!!! LOL. Very Well Done!
bp
View Profile
Regular user
ENGLAND
168 Posts

Profile of bp
Whats the Splash Ultimate levitation like? Any videos ? ? Never seen it work.

Is it like the Brett Daniels Lev? Seen the Twins (www.thetwins.co.uk) perform the illusion and it was COOL!!!!!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Here is the Splashes levi performed by Ryan Joyce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEGvnKqIXX8
Sent from my Typewriter
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
WOW! I just saw Franklin's flying and I am super impressed. Mainly I am impressed with his overall creativity and routining for the illusion. Nice ideas here that I have not seen done before. The idea of walking up and sitting on a silk is really beautiful magic and something different.

I also loved the vanish at the end and the usage of pyro to show a magical travel through space. Cyril used a silk flying through space to show a travel of this sort as well. Great ideas here that really open up and expand the mind to new ideas. Exploring how things can be done differently to create something fresh and new.

Thank you for posting this. I just really appreciate magicians and illusionists who are willing to work hard and think creatively and who look past the obvious solution for something different.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The Pendragons did a very short 'flying' levitation on British TV years ago and it's the only time I've seen it done where the flyer (Charlotte in this case) hasn't rotated about their centre of gravity. Avoiding this I thought added hugely to the mystery of the effect.

It seemed such an obvious stragegy to adopt. As soon as the flyer pivots about their centre of gravity it's hard for an audience member with even half a brain not to instantly leap to a 3 or 4 word explaination of the effect that is as good as spot on.

Copperfield's routine was a great bit of theatre and enjoyble to watch and he certainly had some nice 'proving' moments incorported into it to keep the mystery viable. But any Brits brought up on panto would have been hard pressed to get a picture of Bonnie Langford as Peter Pan out of their heads even with the proving aspects of the routine.

With versions of this type of flying rig being used 'unhidden' in a grat many shows all round the world I would have thought performers have to be very careful in presenting this type of illusion.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
illuzzionz
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of illuzzionz
Man oh man, I loved Franklins flying. Anyone know if hestill does it? I heard he is doing more stand up comedy now days.
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Franklin's flying was good, although I have seen Joe Lebaro use the fan & cloth idea some years back, wonder who came up with it...?
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
Several years ago Jonathan showed a sneak peak of his before it was seen on television. Jonathan & Charlotte are some of the greatest innovators we have, but I remember thinking it looks like she's hanging. They did have some very nice proving moves on it however.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I remember Erix Logan performing Flying at Blackpool Magic Convention 1998 or around then. Not fantastic, but certainly good. Not heard anything about the guy for years now.

Mark
Mark Daniel
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Erix was with us here just back in April although he did not perform the flying in the show (I was doing William Kennedy's Double Air Time) he has done the Gaughan Flying for television here in Turkey (the same as performed in Blackpool). Erix is working through the summer every day in Italy with his lovely assistant Sara Maya who sings at the same time.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Lee

Thanks for the update. Good to hear Erix is still out there performing. I'm a fan of his scissor effects. Very unique style.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Old thread but apropos to my question.

Other than Guaghan, who owns the rights and/or design rights to flying?

I’m aware of most all the performing magicians/illusionists mentioned on this thread...but looking for proper builders.

Note: I’m not interested in flying, rather applying the principles to other effects.

Thanks in advance.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
John Gaughan owns the rights to the exact method David uses that has been named "Flying" but that being said, there are an unlimited number of ways to levitate/fly performers. I make my living flying performers around the world. The secret is just how invisible do the lines need to be? That is a combination of 4 elements.

1) The size of the lines.
2) The distance of the audience to the lines.
3) The lighting.
4) The background.

These are all interrelated and each one affects the other 3.

The second set of options involve how many axis of movement do you require. I do a straight lift for some simple aerial work. I use a 2 axis rig (track) for most theatrical productions of Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Fiddler, etc. A third axis is typically rotation and the 4th is travelling up and downstage which is VERY rare just due to the constraints of most proscenium theaters.

I used an entirely different principle for levitating a character in the Mortal Kombat LIVE tour as she needed to be suspended in a beam of light which would have exposed any lines.

There are thousands of ways to fly someone. Unfortunately a huge amount of safety is involved as being inverted and landing on your neck from even 4 feet off the ground could be deadly.

For flying props, the safety margins needn't be as great. Have fun playing!!
Ray Pierce
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Of course not the kind of flying that's asked here. But this is a video of "Dancing on Ice" (Foy Flying System).

https://youtu.be/Xj6CeXmqA-o

I think this performance is very magical and very beautiful to watch.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Alex, That's a great example of what I do theatrically and is exactly what we're talking about, the only difference is in the visibility of the lines. The rest is the same. This is an example of what I was describing earlier as a single point lift. All of the other actions are based on movements around that single point.
Ray Pierce
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Thanks, Ray. I appreciate the insight and perhaps I’ll IM you for some more info.

Maybe I’ll rephrase my specific question...

If Guaghan is responsible for the DC version, who is responsible (designer/builder) for others that have emerged (Rick Thomas, Peter Marvey, Willi Auerbach)?

Are those others licensed versions? Are they derivative works?

To be clear: I want to do the ethical thing and reach out to those that invented/own the concepts and then start those conversations. It seems like the lineage is very clear for most all other illusions. I hesitate to go into the exact method(s) here but I hope you get where I’m going.

Feel free to correct me or move this to the private forums.

Thanks again.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I’m pretty sure the Rick Thomas version is Gaughn version.... I’m guessing the box is his design as well?

Only other version I’ve seen live (other than Copperfield and Rick Thomas) is Criss Angel. I’m guessing that’s Gaugh’s illusion with some things added by criss.

Loving this discussion.

Theatre wise... the flying carpet for Disneys Alladin on Broadway is quite impressive as well.
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
Ah, thanks Thomas. Forgot about Criss A. Haven’t seen any version of his Vegas shows.

I did some research on the Flying Carpet (Aladdin Broadway/West End/Tour). It’s derivative but a new arrangement. Not going to say more than that. Maybe forums downstairs or PM.

Any other (modern) examples?

Also loving this discussion.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The Aladdin Carpet was a Jim Steinmeyer design based on an older effect. It was fabricated by Tait Towers and like David's "Flying" takes up a massive amount of space above the stage. There was a lot the LD had to give up to get the carpet effect.
Ray Pierce
Fungineer
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Fungineer
...And they patented it.