The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: A truely touching story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Here is an Email I recieved a few months ago, and *** this is what creating magic is all about! And no this is not posted to advertise my effect. Just a truely heart warming letter that touched me so, and that I wanted to share. I asked for his permission to post this letter.

Peter -

Having taken some considerable time practising with the Elevator I wanted to say a big thankyou for what I believe is the most devastating (and practical) levitation effect currently available. More importantly, I wanted to let you in on a story about why this is the best $90 I've ever spent...

For the past couple of years I've done voluntary work with Diabetic children through my local hospital. Both my wife and I are insulin dependent diabetics, and it made sense to us that, where we had a little spare time and work commitments allowed, we might be to give 'something' back to children who had been newly diagnosed with the condition. At the back of my mind, I always thought that I could use my interest in magic to break down some of the barriers that existed between a child and their healthcare team, particularly as I was often called in to help with 'problem' diabetics (the ones who refuse to do their injections etc).

Unfortunately, it soon became clear that most of these children stopped believing in magic around about the same day they were told that they were going to have to live with a chronic illness for the rest of their lives; that they would never be the same as their friends, that - if things didn't go their way - they would end up blind, or with a limb amputated, or with kidney failure.

Cards, coins and sponges were not going to help here.

What I needed was a 'miracle'; something that could show these children that you should never stop believing in a world beyond your fears, doubts and inhibitions. I needed a big 'YES' to the great 'no' that many newly diagnosed/problem diabetics believe the rest of their life is going to be.

For me, this is the true worth of The Elevator: an effect so stunning that you cannot help but dismiss all negativity and open your mind to the possibilty that real magic is out there.

So thankyou for your creation, and may your work continue to bring wonder to a world shrouded in darkness.

Best wishes -

Tom C.
(does not want his full name mentioned)

I wanted to cry!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
What a touching letter and you should be proud Peter that you also contributed in what he was able to do.

It is a truly magical and touching story. Thanks for sharing it with us. As for you Tom and your wife, should you happen to read this - you make the world a better place. Keep up the good work!

Chrystal
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
That is an excellent story, Peter, and I join Chrystal in thanking you for sharing it. Tom and his wife are doing what I hope to do someday; bringing hope and wonder to a world that doesn't have enough of either. They have my respect and my admiration.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Peter, that is a great story and letter. I know what it must mean to you.

We meet heros everyday. For a couple of years I worked from Birmingham, Alabama and spent every Tuesday morning I could entertaining at the Childrens Hospital connected to the University Of Alabama School of Medicine. There is no way to say what that opportunity did for me. I hope it did something near as good for the kids, parents and staff. It is truly a chance to be the best part of someone's day. Some have very serious days they tackle very bravely.

Your contribution to regenerate smiles, hope and courage is certainly valued by those helped and allowed to help.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks for the responses! I hold that letter close to my heart and something I will cherish forever. It did make me feel pretty good. Its letters like these that makes inventing magic all worth while in the end. Thanks everyone for sharing your comments with me.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
You deserve that pat on the back Peter. Using "Elevator" for entertainment or as a profession is one thing. Using it to highten the human spirit during tough times is quite another. Hmmmm...sounds like "real magic".

Congrats!

Randy