The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Thanks Penguin... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
OK, so they get a fair bit of flack from time to time, so I thought it only fair to even up the balance a little bit.

Ordered a couple of books from them recently, and qualified for a free DVD, which I wasn't particularly interested in. Wrote to them and asked if there was any chance I could swap my DVD for one of the David Blaine posters they were offering as a freebie for another promotion. Never got a response, but sure enough, two parcels turned up - the books and a poster tube. Opened the poster tube today to find a 25 inch x 38 inch poster of Blaine's 'Frozen In Time' stunt...and it's autographed! This was unexpected, as they had written on their website up until recently that they were all out of autographed ones.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1222

Nice work Penguin. I am very impressed.

Cheers,

Chris
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Love Penguin.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Not a fan of their products, but they do have great customer service. Never did get any freebies myself.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
I have never, ever had a problem with Penguin, unlike a couple of the more traditional magician's web sites (often referred to on this forum) that have had orders on "backorder" for six months or more, forgotten to apply discounts, "accidentally" billed my card twice, and only give "store credit" when they fail to have the item in stock - which, frankly, is illegal. If you paid the Toyota dealer for a Rav4 and they said they were out of stock, but would give you "store credit," what would you say? In short, Penguin is run by honest people in an industry full of crooks.

The promotions and free shipping Penguin offers are at least as good, if not better, than anything else out there, and they always bend over backwards to keep the customer happy. No, I don't work for Penguin, but I'm just very happy with the site.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Have always been pleased with Penguin, and have learned to check their site often for great specials...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I've always been really happy with Penguin's service as well. I think their support chat boards and support downloads and videos are good services too. I've never had problems with them.
magicgolferman
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicgolferman
True. I first found penguin and it was a great start for me. I still use it, but I have found other places as well.

I think it's good, but patients is key in life. I am patient. So I have had pleasant experiences with other companies as well. Most times I find the nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you.

THe sellers are certainly people persons, it's just the way the people act!

but yeah, penguin is good.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3068 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
The do indeed have good customer service. A weird but much appreciated thing happened recently.

I recently ordered Ring Leader by Gergory Wilson on their website. It was to come with the DVD and the necessary ring and cord. However the web page clearly states that they manufacturer of the velvet cord previous included with the DVD was not made anymore, so the purchaser would be provided with a fine green ribbon AND of course a ring.

My package came... In Ring Leader, the ribbon was included... but no ring. I didn't think much of it as I have plenty of rings lying around that served the purpose. I didn't complain, nobody knew anything.

Then, the weirdest thing. I come home a few weeks later to a very small envelope addressed to me, from Penguin. I reached into my memory and tried to think of anything I might have ordered from them recently... nope, nothing. I curiously opened the package and not only had they sent me the missing ring (nice, brass wedding band style ring) but they also sent me the now-unavailable velvet cord! I was very impressed. Nice job Penguin!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
manks123
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of manks123
Quote:
On 2008-12-03 08:48, NYCJoePitt wrote:
I've always been really happy with Penguin's service as well. I think their support chat boards and support downloads and videos are good services too. I've never had problems with them.

Same here.

Stefan
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
I would also like to add that I got my start there as well. Their customer service has always been great in my experience. Also, they have some great exclusive effects. While I have found greater satisfaction in ordering from other companies, I can not forget how I got my start.
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
They are horrible to inventors, but their customer service for consumers is good
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I like Penguin. They are very good 5 stars. Would recommend to anybody. Plus you get 10% any order always.
jameme
View Profile
Regular user
Mexico
193 Posts

Profile of jameme
Quote:
On 2009-02-23 07:30, smith83 wrote:
They are horrible to inventors, but their customer service for consumers is good

do you know something?
I would like to know why, not trying to start an argument, I'm just curious

I also got my first start there
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I hardly use them anymore, everything they have had that I'm interested in is "out of stock" 99% of the time! 6 months to a year later, nothing's changed. Just my own 2 pennies.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"