The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: I guess I don't need insurance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I purchased the classic insurance policy card effect from a dealer and loved the idea. I felt it was a charming trick, but that the presentation didn't feel quite right for me. So I worked long and hard using some (rather frustrating) publishing software to design my own policy. The result was that I could give the policy out to any old spectator who could simply read off of it as I prompted them. I also made it so that instead of showing a giant picture of a card, a mini playing card fell out as the spectator unfolded it (meanwhile I haven't touched the policy since the beginning of the routine). That way I could switch to another card any time.

So after weeks spent designing this prop, I was ready to try it out for the first time. As luck would have it, the very next day, a friend asked me if I would show him something. So I brought out my deck of cards, and my policy. He picks his card, I say that the deck was sold to me by a dealer and that it even came with insurance. That way if I failed to find his card he could get up to $1000. I added that it was so foolproof that even he could shuffle the cards. He did, I snapped my fingers and turned over the top card...

It was his. (I have to admit, in my practicing, I hadn't planned for this) But I was quick on my feet, and said it was truly incredible, but that I could do it again. I gave him the deck to shuffle, took it back, snapped my fingers and got an indifferent card (9D). I said (unconvincingly) that was on purpose, that it was an indicator card and that his card must be nine cards down. I counted slowly and fairly to the ninth card, turned it over...

It was his.

He asked me how I did it, I can't remember what I said. I don't perform the insurance policy anymore (too scared of what might happen next).
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Sometimes it happens that way.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Smile