The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: What happened, was this... :: Here's 2 $100s (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Has anyone every just handed you 2 $100 bills becuase your trick
was so awesome? If so, how?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Nope, never had such luck. Whenever I pass the hat around, people disappears!! that's the most amazing gimmick I ever owned. My HAT!! Smile

cheerios!
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Nope. I don't perform for a living, but with the few times I have performed, I have gotten some $10 and $20 tips, and free beers. The more beer I drink, the better I perform. LOL

What about your story Frank? I am guessing this has happened to you?

TomK
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Never got 2 100's but when I was working at Wizardz I noticed a mother and a teenage girl start to get in this really bad argument while waiting for the stage show. (This was in the lounge area aka the holding cage) The father asked me to come over and do some magic. Well as you can imagine I was a little reluctant. I mean, here I am doing tricks, and the father is loving it and the mother and daughter are looking off in opposite directions and not even making eye contact with one another. So I decided to take a chance and do a version of Anniversary Waltz with mother and daughter. Reluctantly, they played along. At the end of the set they were all three laughing and smiling. As they started seating the main show the father said thank you and shook my hand. In my hand he had placed a 100. That was one of the biggest single tips I had ever received at Wizardz. I figured it wasn't bad for a 12 minute set!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16557 Posts

Profile of tommy
I get them doing that at the card table. You just give youself a winning hand and they all throw money at you. It is nice to know they appreciate my work. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-29 23:04, tommy wrote:
I get them doing that at the card table. You just give youself a winning hand and they all throw money at you. It is nice to know they appreciate my work. Smile

Ahh Tommy, but the original query explicitly said, "...because your trick was so awesome?" But I hear ya...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
The biggest ive ever recieved was $100 as well.

was it for an amazing trick? no. it was for a great performance (which lasted an hour) of cocktail work.

does that fit the critera? no.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
You probably won't believe me but I performed Macdonald's Aces and made $300. Yes just that one trick. The guy was a regular (wealthy business man) at the restaurant (upscale) that I was working. It was in December just before Christmas and he asked me to show him something "Fantastic". I did the routine (Paul Swinford and Larry Pringle taught me the routine I use) and the guy took out his wallet and handed me the rolled up bills wishing me a Happy Christmas! I asked him if he needed change! So there you go, get out there and learn that routine!
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2005-09-29 22:51, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Never got 2 100's but when I was working at Wizardz I noticed a mother and a teenage girl start to get in this really bad argument while waiting for the stage show. (This was in the lounge area aka the holding cage) The father asked me to come over and do some magic. Well as you can imagine I was a little reluctant. I mean, here I am doing tricks, and the father is loving it and the mother and daughter are looking off in opposite directions and not even making eye contact with one another. So I decided to take a chance and do a version of Anniversary Waltz with mother and daughter. Reluctantly, they played along. At the end of the set they were all three laughing and smiling. As they started seating the main show the father said thank you and shook my hand. In my hand he had placed a 100. That was one of the biggest single tips I had ever received at Wizardz. I figured it wasn't bad for a 12 minute set!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell

Great story Dorian!
tjo'
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Dorian's story is one of those feel-goods that makes us want to say "and that makes the whole art worthwhile", or "That sort of bonding and love was why I got into magic in the first place".

But then, we all know that's not true - we got into magic because we wanted to look cool in front of people!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-30 21:52, C.J. wrote:
Dorian's story is one of those feel-goods that makes us want to say "and that makes the whole art worthwhile", or "That sort of bonding and love was why I got into magic in the first place".

But then, we all know that's not true - we got into magic because we wanted to look cool in front of people!

Well, that's not entirely true. I got into magic because I was fooled really bad and wanted to know the secret. Hence, I bought the trick. Performing didn't come until later. After I started performing then I started worrying about looking cool in front of other people. But I've matured a lot since then...

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I once got a $100 tip for delivering a pizza back when I was 19. Apparently, my pizza delivering skills are far greater value to the public than my card tricks!

Man... that's depressing.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Kudos to Dorian!

I was performing on a guy's 50' yacht (which admittedly is about as small as one could make the leap from "boat" to "yacht") when after a particular trick he handed me a $100 bill (they were worth a bit more ten years ago) and he said, "Come to my party and do that one for my friends, and there is another one of these in it for you."

Needless to say I went to a very fun party, had a great time, did one trick, and made another $100.

Cheers,

Tom
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2249 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've never been tipped that highly, but I do remember my first tip ever.

In high school, I was in the drama club. My city has an event downtown every fall called "Centerfest". Lots of crafts, vendors, etc. The drama folks would set up a face painting booth to raise a few bucks.

Since I can't draw or paint to save my life, I performed strolling magic in the crowd, and told everyone to go get their face painted.

On one occasion, I performed a pen thru dollar. The lady was amazed, and said I could keep the buck. I don't know why I stopped performing that effect. It may have something to do with losing about 4 of them over the years.

I've been tipped several times since, but none have been quite so memorable to me. And heck, back then at age 14, I was finally making money doing magic!
Kevin Reylek
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
Quote:
On 2005-10-01 09:49, Reis O'Brien wrote:
I once got a $100 tip for delivering a pizza back when I was 19. Apparently, my pizza delivering skills are far greater value to the public than my card tricks!

Man... that's depressing.

Yeah, it is depressing.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Frank, I am guessing this could only happen in California. Ok, it may happen in Monaco also. In the real world, the average person's wages would keep the average tip much lower than this amount stated. For most performers, a dollar or maybe five would be the norm but to get $100 would even be a stretch. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents.

Snidini
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
Snidini,

It could happen whereever there are rich people and drunk people. You just need to practice more.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Biggest single tip I got for literally one trick was £50 (about $175). It was when I was table hopping for this nice nightclub. It a stern looking guy and his mate, I asked if they wanted to see some magic and he said "Make it good". I did a version of the haunted deck with elastic thread, he just smiled and handed me the note. He turned out to be friends with Paul McKenna, weird.

Joe
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
I got a wonderful tip yesterday: "Don't take wooden nickles"
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Dorian,
Not to put too fine a point on it, but you didn't get the $100 tip for doing the trick. You got it for knowing which trick to do...