The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Magicians on CNN Headline News (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I have just received permission to let the cat out of the bag. I posted this on the Genii Forum and Magic Talk just moments ago.

On Thursday, August 8, 2002, CNN Headline News will be devoting a day of coverage to magic and magicians. The executive VP and general manager of that network is Rolando Santos, who is an associate editor of The Linking Ring and a member of the board of directors of IBM Ring 9 in Atlanta. (He is also a member of the Magic Cafe.)

As the Southeastern Association of Magicians convention is in Atlanta that weekend, we will have magicians in town from all over the country. Rolando has selected six people who will be in town that weekend to be involved on camera. As of today, the sixth slot is still unconfirmed but we already have an alternate in place, so all the slots are assigned. A full list of performers who will be on CNN-HN will be uploaded to
http://www.seam2002.org
when it is finalized.

As head of the network, Rolando has selected each of these performers and speakers based on his experience watching them perform and how he believes they will relate to the various demographic segments of his audience throughout the day. Each of these performers will perform a short routine and be interviewed by an anchor. We're looking at about 2:30 to 3 minutes per person, with the six segments spaced throughout the day.

So far, the people scheduled to appear include Ken Scott, Joe M. Turner, Jessica Reed, Dan Garrett, and Michael Ammar.

Best,
JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5939 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Congratulations, Joe. Smile

I'm jealous.

I bet that beats making it into the final at a convention competition.

Give a lot of thought as to what you choose to perform. I think some of the folks who did the live segment at the IBM didn't make the best choices. PM me if you are wondering.

Break a leg,

Tom
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
One of my routines was specifically requested by Rolando... so I will be performing Jerry Andrus' "Zone Zero" routine. That only lasts about 25 seconds, so I will probably have time to do one other short routine.

I have been considering a number of ideas, from the Klause Ultimate Bill Transposition (a *very* clean version) to a short ambitious card sequence. I will almost certainly wrap up by producing something with the CNN Headline News logo on it.

I'm open to suggestions, but obviously what I end up doing is going to be based primarily on what I am confident I can perform well in front of 70 million people. Smile

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
Joe,
Great to hear have fun!
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Hey Joe congrats, I understand that CNN gets around $25,000 for a thirty second spot. So according to higher mathmatics you are getting about $125,000 - $150,000 worth of free advertising. Looks like the coffee is on you today.

Again, great job. I look forward to seeing your performance.
He who laughs, lasts.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
For those interested, my segment is looking like Zone Zero and a Mismade Bill routine. Not a lot of finger flinging, but good magic for television.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5939 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Good magic for television is that magic which frames your face. Sell yourself while selling the routine. Otherwise you are just another faceless magician doing some box something or other.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Joe, I also send my congrats. That is an awesome achievement. Cant wait to see it.
Brian
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Joe is there any way that the actual times these spots will run could be told. I do enjoy my CNN, but am not in a position to watch all day long. I would love to tune in at the appropriate times to catch the segments.
He who laughs, lasts.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
I do not yet know the exact times of the segments. If I find out before the date, I will post them.

I do know this much:

Ken Scott, an Atlanta-area magician best known for his high-energy kidshows and library shows, will be on a live segment in the morning sometime between 7 and 9.

I will have a taped segment that should run at least a couple of times between 9 and noon.

Jessica Reed will tape a segment that will run at least a couple of times between noon and 3pm.

Around 4pm, either Robert Bengel or Eric Anderson will be on for a live segment.

Around 6pm, Dan Garrett will be on for a live segment.

Around 9pm, Michael Ammar will be on for a live segment.

I have a few VCRs in the house so I'll be setting them to cover the whole 14-15 hours, then edit myself a master tape with all the segments end to end.

I wish I could tell you exactly when each magic segment will air, but it's a television news network and they may not know the exact run times until the day before, if then.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
Smile Congrats Joe Have fun! Smile

Mya
Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Last slot has been confirmed.

The six performers will be:

Ken Scott
Jessica Reed
Joe M. Turner
Robert Bengel
Dan Garrett
Michael Ammar

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
That's very cool Joe...go get'em!
Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Congrats Joe, Can't wait to see it!!!

:dancing: Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Joe:
I've suggested to Rolando that each of you contribute a VERY simple trick (nothing proprietary, of course) to post to the website at headlinenews.com....then tracking the downloads and web traffic. If it's successful, they could promote this kind of thing more often.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Sounds like a neat idea!

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
billhart22
View Profile
New user
Colorado
29 Posts

Profile of billhart22
I will have to catch it when it comes on. Congrats!! Smile
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
CNN Headline News -- Magic Segment Airtimes (tentative)

All times are Eastern Daylight

---------------------------------------------
Ken Scott: live at 7:24am

Joe M. Turner: taped segment to run during 9:00am - noon block, probably at :25 or :54 past each hour.
(segment will be taped on Wednesday at 2:10pm and 2:40pm)

Jessica Reed: TAPING at 10:40am and 11:10am on Thursday; segment to run during noon - 3:00pm block at :25 or :54 past each hour

(NOTE: Taped segment airtimes will be determined by the executive producer probably the day of the event.)

Robert Bengel: live at 3:45pm

Dan Garrett: live at 6:54pm

Michael Ammar: live at 9:45pm
---------------------------------------------
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
liormanor
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
114 Posts

Profile of liormanor
Hi Joe
Do a publicty stunt.
Do something that will make unforgetable.
Do mind reading
Magic square
Picture duplication
etc etc.

Lior Manor
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
Well, here we are a few days before what has never been done before on a cable news network-- a full day where magic is being performed at various times throughout the day.

Aside from Joe, we've got a great line up of people who will represent our art in a positive and entertaining way.

I am glad I was able to entend this opportunity to the Magicians who will appear, but I am even happier to give our 70 million subscribers a chance to see some magic and learn a bit about why we do it.

Rolando