The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Bill Bixby's Wonderful World of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi All,

Many years ago there was a syndicated program called The Wonderful World of Magic. It was hosted by Bill Bixby and featured acts from the FISM Convention in 1973, which was held in Paris. I managed to get some pretty poor copies from some friends about 30 years ago. There were actually 26 episodes created. Does anyone have copies of these that they would be willing to trade or sell?

Marc DeSouza
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Marc

I remember this when I was kid growing up in NH. GREAT memories. I once spoke to Ali Bongo regarding this show (he was in several episodes). I had asked him why his music was different on this program than in others I had seen him in? He told that whoever bought the rights to the show didn't have the rights for the music, so it different music edited in.

I hope that these episodes become commercially available again! This show was some of my first exposure to great magic ( Flip, Richard Ross & Ali Bongo to name a few)!!!

Best of your luck in your search

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That was an interesting story, how that show came about. The original producer made a deal to film the Paris FISM. One of the producers screwed up and lost about $10,000 by waiting too long to change dollars to francs. I was involved helping Ricky Jay do a sequence with David Niven. Jay Marshall was boo'd by the audience while he was MCing, because the TV crew and the French stage crews got into a fight backstage. Jay would announce and act and the curtain would not open... audience boo'd. Finally I told Jay to do Lefty. He did, and the audience loved him.

The original producers went broke and never edited or used the material. To get out from under it they sold all the film and rights to the production company that finally put it together with Bixby.

Whew, what meomories... Oh, Jay Marshall, Ricky Jay and I shared a hotel room. A box of laundry came back, full of blue oxford shirts. Had monogram "J" on 'em. didn't belong to either of them. Ricky wanted to buy a deck of Bicycle cards and the price was astronomical. He asked the dealer why the high price? His answer? "This if France."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Great story Pete. I wonder who the production company is that holds the rights to the footage?

Marc
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"It's Magic" aired in 1975 on ABC.
The network or the Paley Center (Museum of Broadcasting) may have some information.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Thanks Jazzy Snazzy

Marc
Escapistus
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Escapistus
Marc- did you ever have any luck finding Wonderful World of Magic? I have been looking over many years for them, especially the opening and closing segments with Bixby. I remember a Magician tarot card with Bixby as the Magician used in opening and/or closing, but have been unable to find any reference anywhere.