The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: David Blaine Electrified (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Onewonder
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Onewonder
Does anyone have any info on this event? Won't be on Tv, Is their magic to be presented during the event? Or will this probably be shown on the Discovery Channel or Travel channel at later time?
Love David Blaine but his advertising and marketing for this event is not very good.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Updates, anyone?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

I wonder why there has not been much more hype on this event. Has society finally gotten terminally jaded, or is this an example of how the information age makes most people too knowledgeable to be hyped?

Jim
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
I think it's a combination of two things: first, David Blaine's been around for a while, and has done endurance stunts before; it doesn't capture the public's imagination like it used to. Second, most of the press before and during the event was somewhat negative, pointing out the the electricity wasn't actually much of a danger. (The endurance element was actually the most difficult aspect, but all the attention went to the Tesla coils.)
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Added note ...

It's also possible people have lost interested in public stunts. They exploded on television in the mid-90s and early 2000s with guys like Robbie Knievel and Blaine getting prime-time TV specials around their stunts. After a while interest waned. Now, one guy stands in Tesla coils for three days, and another guy is about to fall to the earth from the edge of space, and interest is lukewarm. On that note, if the public were to grab on to one of the stunts over the past few days, the space jump would be the more compelling of the two.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You are also forgetting that Networks promoted his other stunts because they were lead ups to an airing of a television special. This was not a network stunt but rather sponsored by a corporation. Big difference is that network news doesn't have a lot of interest promoting stuff that doesn't benefit them.
bigjay1974
View Profile
New user
Worcestershire. UK
85 Posts

Profile of bigjay1974
Loved his street magic stuff but the challenges seem to go over me
bigjay1974
View Profile
New user
Worcestershire. UK
85 Posts

Profile of bigjay1974
Who knows a tv special may show up soon Smile
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Good points you make, Magicbarry...
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia