The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Helder Guimaraes lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
OliOliOli
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of OliOliOli
My first post on the Café, so please go easy on me!

I've been a keen hobbiest for some 25 years and whilst I haven't contributed previously, I've followed the Café for many years. Last night, something happened that took me back to my childhood and ignited that true passion, that real reason why I enjoy magic. I attended Helder Guimaraes lecture and show at the Melbourne Magic Festival and all I can say is A MAZ ING....!

Helder was a very like able guy and I was left in awe of his talent and skills. I'm still wondering whether he's sold his soul to the devil because some of the stuff he did I can't begin to fathom how it was possible. In his lecture he covered a handful of routines; the signatures across brought a big smile to my face when he broke it down and explained the method. This routine is in his Reflections book for anyone interested. A group of 10 blue backed cards is placed in a wine glass that remains in full view thought the entire performance. From a red deck, 10 cards are counted by an audience member and two cards selected and signed. The cards are then placed in another wine glass and then the magic happens. The red cards are again counted only to find 8 cards; the two signed elections are missing. The blue cards are cleanly retrieved from the glass and spread to show 12cards including 2 red backs. The red cards are removed and turned over to display the signed cards...bravo....

The show itself was just phenomenal. It's inspired me to learn more and to practice more, as well as being the reason to register on the Café and write my first post.

Sorry if this all sounds like waffle, but seriously, if you ever have the opportunity to see Helder in action....DO NOT HESITATE. The guy is a genius....even if he did sell his soul to gain the powers that he demonstrates.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Nice first post---Thanks!
OliOliOli
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of OliOliOli
Thanks brehaut!

Helder also discussed his FISM 2006 controversy when he was called out by the judges, 'accused' of using a stooge to achieve his signed card under wine glass that had been in plain view throughout the performance. I hadn't seen this performance before, but found the link below;

http://vimeo.com/12405932

Like I said before....the devils work, no other explanation!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Thanks for the link---amazing stuff