The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: An Audience With Paul Daniels (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MarkAllison
View Profile
New user
Hemel Hempstead, England
53 Posts

Profile of MarkAllison
Last week I had the pleasure of seeing An Audience With Paul Daniels at a local venue. Despite a small turnout, it was a very entertaining evening split in to two halves. The first half was mainly Paul relating anecdotes about his career with a strong emphasis on the audience asking him questions (although he did perform a couple of tricks in the process). The second half consisted almost entirely of tricks.

There was only one effect that he did which I had not seen before. This was performed in the first half and consisted of Paul standing inside a large cardboard box which had large holes cut in the front and rear panels so that the audience could clearly see through it. He then lifted a curtain which surrounded the box (like a curtain used in a "Metamorphosis" effect) and with head and shoulders remaining in view, "levitated" with the curtain rising up so that the audience could see through the now empty box. Personally I did not feel that this effect was particularly strong because the obvious explanation is "he's standing on the box".

Paul even mentioned that this is how people thinks it's done and assured people that it's not the case, but I can't help thinking that there's something wrong with an effect (or the presentation) if you have to explain that the obvious explanation is not what is happening. Now if you can show that the obvious explanation is not what's happening, then that's a different matter.

Aside from this effect, the rest of the magic that Paul performed were some classic effects. Included were his chop cup routine and his tissue paper balls and electric chairs routine that were recently featured on the "50 Greatest Magic Tricks" program shown in the UK.

Also of note was his Professor's Nightmare routine, and Paul performed this superbly with some wonderful handling. Truly a joy to watch.

An interesting thing that Paul also did was to get any magicians in the audience to stand, and then got the rest of the audience to applaud them under the explanation of "support your local magician". It was interesting that none of the magicians who stood up were then asked volunteer for anything. So I suspect that Paul's experience is that muggles are less likely to cause him problems / try and upstage him than magicians.

At the end of the show, Paul came in to the auditorium and was happy to sign photos, books and videos.

All in all a highly entertaining evening which I would recommend to anyone wishing to see some classic effects performed by a vastly experienced performer.

Cheers

Mark
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
I saw his show in North London a year ago.

And I agree with Mark's review of it - an excellent show.

I gather that it's always exactly the same, even down to getting any magicians in the audience to stand up.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Same old stuff I saw him do, but the muggles liked it! It was only the magicians who complained they'd seen nothing new, presumably so they could copy it...
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
I'm glad that Paul Daniels is still enjoying the lime light a little.

It was interesting to see how many of the video clips on 50 greatest tricks were from his show. Both his own and the guests he had invited (Juan Tamriz for example).
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
MarkAllison
View Profile
New user
Hemel Hempstead, England
53 Posts

Profile of MarkAllison
Ben,

Personally I wasn't that bothered that it was the same old stuff. IMHO it is always good to see magic performed well irrespective of whether it's new material or old. Plus just to see a performer of Paul's calibre and experience made the show enjoyable for me. In some ways it was nice that he performed material to which I knew the method - that enabled me to concentrate on how he was performing it rather than concentrating on how it was done Smile

Cheers

Mark
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Has anyone read Paul Daniels autobiography? I've just finished it - not very well written IMO, but an interesting read.

Slainte!

ML
James Owen
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of James Owen
Alright m8s, I have just finished reading Paul Daniels autobiography and it is a fascinating read. I have just been to my local library and got one of his magic books out, Paul Daniels Adult Magic. There are some very good tricks in there. I would recommend getting it if you can get your hands on a copy of it.

Best Regards

James Owen Smile
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Quote:
gather that it's always exactly the same, even down to getting any magicians in the audience to stand up.

Quote:
Same old stuff I saw him do, but the muggles liked it

HI,
This is because Paul Daniels is a professional performer. He performs the same act for different audiences, unlike the wanabe's who perform different material for the same audience.
One thing I find rather strange amongst magicains is that many know that if they were to find perhaps just 6 tricks that they could perform really well and in an entertaining manor, then they could be a really succesful entertainer. Yet, even though many even quote the above, they do not put it into practice!

quote:
It was only the magicians who complained they'd seen nothing new.

Magicians Don't pay Paul's Bills!

Phillip
Wallace
View Profile
Loyal user
Bangor, Northern Ireland
208 Posts

Profile of Wallace
Well said Phillip! Smile
Sometimes I get the feeling that the old 'green eye'of jealousy tends to creep in when PD is discussed. Smile Let's face it the guy is a real Pro who has done more shows than his critics have had hot dinners! Smile
Wallace B
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
The point I was making, Phillip, was that the magicians in the audience wanted to see the latest and greatest effects, presumably so they could buy it and use in their shows.

Beginners I can forgive, but many of the pros in my magic club do this!

I couldn't care less whether Paul's act is new or old, he just does it all so well!!! I have tremendous respect for his performing experience and skills!!
professorpopcorn
View Profile
New user
Taunton Somerset U.K.
79 Posts

Profile of professorpopcorn
I saw Pauls show a couple of years ago in Weston-Super-Mare.

He is and always has been a tremendous performer and always gives 100 percent.

It's a great sadness that his talent is no longer seen on TV but unless you can cook or put up a shelf television execs aren't interested anymore. Smile
When you're smilin'
When you're smilin'
The Whole World Smiles With You !!!
Tra-la-la
www.profpopcorn.co.uk
Devils Advocaat
View Profile
Loyal user
London
248 Posts

Profile of Devils Advocaat
I agree that Paul Daniels is indeed a very talented and skilled performer. It's only when you do actually watch him in the flesh that you begin to realise this.

Having been 'out' of the magic scene for many years I was shocked one Sunday morning to read in the magazine section of a Sunday paper that most magicians agreed that '...Daniels had single-handedly killed magic off in this country', and probably wouldn't brake if he was crossing the road. Am I correct in this quote?

Frank. Smile
"My Karma ran over my Dogma..."
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
Yep! Basically, Paul's arrogance and belittling performing style, made magic unpopular, according to the paper.

Paul is a short, bald, and relatively unattractive man. When he belittles you, you get a feeling that he really means it. That's why some folk don't like him.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
Daniels had single-handedly killed magic off in this country'

This is, of course complete garbage.
How can that be said of someone that had a successful series on TV EVERY year for 10 years? An extended run at a theatre in the West End of London?

In the early years he had some lines which some considered belittling, because he'd gained his experience in working men's clubs dealing with drunken hecklers. His style did modify, yet where were the criticisms of Brit TV entertainers like Bruce Forsythe who was FAR worse than Daniels.

You either liked him or didn't, there was no in-between, but criticisms of PD were exaggerated and perpetuated. Some reporters even rubbished his shows without seeing him. There is no doubt that Daniels was unfairly treated by the media, but that is the way the British press works, they build people up to tear them down. As for TV, everything has to be youth dominated. Which is why generally the standard of TV is so much worse; Big Brother, Sex and Shopping...Ibiza Uncovered...unbelievably padded documentaries with footage constantly repeated in the same show..

Some of the few and far between historical programmes are now some of the best items on TV, and I don't even like history!

Paul.