The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Houdini - The Musical (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
HOUDINI – The Musical.

Here in the U.K. a new theatrical production is currently touring the provinces with a view to opening in London's West End next year.

I took my family to see it recently.

As in common with most modern productions, the opening scene (The Prologue) is on display before the show begins. On this occasion, the set is a heavy circular table upon which a candelabra stands. Several chairs surround the table and the immediate impression is that of an impending séance.

The houselights dim and a droning sound is heard, becoming gradually louder as the stage fills with white smoke, engulfing the table. There is a crack of thunder and the smoke clears to reveal a group of people standing around the table. This is a brief dramatic representation of Bess Houdini’s 1936 ‘Final Séance’.

Once the scene is established, the performers, all but one man, leave the stage. The man remaining reads aloud from a newspaper article, informing the audience that the famous illusionist and escapologist Harry Houdini, has died in hospital as the result of a ruptured appendix, thought to have been brought about by an accidental blow to the stomach by a visiting student. The reader then says that ongoing investigations suggest that this is not exactly what happened………..!

We are then transported to Scene 1, The Rhode Island Opera House in 1926, with an off stage announcement, presenting “The Greatest Magician of the Age – Houdini, Master Mystifyer!”

A lively dance routine precedes the first illusion (The Crystal Pyramid) from which Houdini makes his first appearance.

Almost all of the dialogue is sung. The music, played by a lively six-piece orchestra, is strong and dramatic and has a couple of good songs. One in particular – “They’ll Never Believe Their Eyes!” – may have mileage!

The illusions are quite well presented. The Chinese Water Torture Cell being particularly spectacular – although I would have liked a bigger build up to the audience’s invitation to ‘Take a deep breath and hold it, while we count off the seconds!’

My worry is that there is in the plot, insufficient attention to character development or to time span. We are introduced to Houdini in the above mentioned scene on September 20th. 1926.

He steps down from the Crystal Pyramid and begins to tell us of his desperate ambition for success and immortality. Surly by this time – only a few weeks before his demise, he has success in abundance!

There is no development of Houdini’s early years as ‘The Handcuff King’. No reference to his obsession with Spiritualism, which would have given greater significance to the séance in the prologue. An additional song, presented as an ensemble piece, outlining the career landmarks with these additional Houdini activities would perhaps help to resolve the ‘time span’ issue.

I also found it difficult to accept the further suggestion that his brother Theo was the one who struck the fatal blow, but no doubt the lay public wouldn’t mind!

There is also a poor and totally unnecessary ‘cod’ magic performance by one of the characters (J.C.Cannell). Whilst realising that time is needed to set the Water Torture illusion, which it precedes, it adds nothing to the story. Let me hasten to add that Mark Siney, the actor who is lumbered with this weak material, performs it well, as does the young lady who acts as his glamorous assistant.

All of the principals are excellent. Sean K. Andrews makes a believable Harry Houdini and Kerry Whiteside a very attractive Bess. All have fine singing voices.

The six dancers are good both in their routines and in their occasional character roles.

My only fear is that unless there is more substance given to the plot, the production may not make it to its anticipated West End destination.

Despite my personal misgivings, a lot of work has obviously been put into this production and it deserves support. The special effects and illusions are well presented and the very talented company gives of its best.

The show is scheduled to tour many parts of Britain until mid-November. If it comes your way, go and see this show.
Stories....?....That's telling!