The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: UK TV - Dirty Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
James Houston
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of James Houston
Anyone else see this? I must admit, I'm quite disappointed overall - as I'd heard nothing but good reviews about this.
The good bits were utterly amazing, and the bad bits were absolutely rubbish.
Pete Firman really showed us what he's made of with his regurgitation/brahmo thread/indian bead (with maggot) routine. It was genius. One of the best executions of the acts I've seen, and it was great how he compiled everything into the one routine.
The other highlight was the Johnny Eck style sawing in half. Very entertaining indeed.
Low points were the guys from Magick. We'd been told that the show wouldn't take advantage of the possible camera cuts, so I was quite gutted when I seen the Dr Fox skit. The hypnotist segment was pretty boring too. With the same team that produced all the Derren Brown specials I expected more. A lot more.
I wish I'd taped it for the fish regurgitation with Nadia thing, but I think the show would be more suited to a 30 min slot or something.
I hope the next 5 episodes will contain more of the cool stuff, and less of the Magick guys.
Anyone else think different?
-James
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Yes James I think you're taste is seriously lacking.
The magick guys now have a massive cult following across eastern and western Europe. Their skills are second to none. And they have never (including ALL Magick shows) allowed any cutting whatsoever.
Keep your eyes open that bit wider James. And for God sakes give some of you fellow performers a break!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
Couldn't agree with you more James..

I have seen the Magick boys live and they are very good however their TV show was very edited and cut in certain places. Anyone who says differently clearly is either lacking in knowledge or a groupie of the team that put out Dirty Tricks.

Anything that is put out in the public domain is up for critiism some of which will be valid other times maybe not. Criss Angel has been hung drawn and quartered on this site over the last few weeks.

Dirty Tricks isn't quite sure what it wants to be, it's all well being different but that doesn't make it good. I know one of the guys who was at the actual filming and he said there were a number of retakes and "film this bit first and we'll do the next bit later." type scenarios.

Jon

Jon
carldourish
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of carldourish
Disappointed. Appeared that they walked into a magic shop, brought some items and thought what shall we do with this. Hypnosis was very poor, nothing new there. The old when you hear this music you will dance funny gag. Crossbow act was very good. The show suffered from being too long, they should have edited down to 30 minutes. Hope next week is better.

Carl
dan bivaldi
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of dan bivaldi
Really dissapointed with this show,Glad I only used a rw disc to record as its already wiped!
Thought the hypnotist was rubbish,a couple of things were ok but I just hope it gets better.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi guys and gals,

There's a similar chat going on at the moment over in the All Tied Up section of the Café discussing the escape segment of the show.

It would be interesting to hear from non-escape artists on this. What did you think of the idea, performance etc?

Personnally I thought the show overall was a success. I agree that there were a few low points, but isn't that the same with all shows?

My own fav. bits were the knife through arm routine, which I thought was a nice twist to the classic effect. I loved Pete's opener with the fish, but then I like that kind of weird stuff. I enjoyed the escape bit myself, which you can read about on All Tied Up.

Not a fan of hypnosis. But then I'm not really a fan of any hypnosis, so I can't say it was the performers fault and the disco bit with Ali didn't work for me. Mainly because they did the "appearing person behind a sheet" trick right at the beginning of the show as well as a box production (with the owl) and was a shame they repeated them again.

Also any non-magicians that I've spoken to have all liked the show. So I guess as the main point is to entertain them the team did a good job.

That's my view anyway.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
I think the show was excellent - esp the firman goldfish routine and the sawing in half - both fabulous. the show may have had less good bits but overall the show is great for magic

the 'escape' - not particulalry sure what to think of it... not overly impressed

felix
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2005-10-08 09:16, Jon Beetham wrote:

I have seen the Magick boys live and they are very good however their TV show was very edited and cut in certain places. Anyone who says differently clearly is either lacking in knowledge or a groupie of the team that put out Dirty Tricks.

Lets do a little bit of straight talking here Jon. You are most evidently lacking in knowledge since you're talking through your a**e. One thing that prided the whole showing of their TV show is that NO editing took place...ever!!! Everyone within the filming of that show knows that, it's simply a fact that I'm glad to help you out with.

Quote:
I know one of the guys who was at the actual filming and he said there were a number of retakes and "film this bit first and we'll do the next bit later." type scenarios.
Jon

Y'know what? I'm actually yawning now. Anyone ever been to a TV studio shoot and Not seen retakes? Jon, don't know who you are, but you really hate some of these guys huh?
C'mon, lighten up a little and cut them some slack. You might live in Newcastle but I bet you're no Geordie!

Bobser.
James Houston
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of James Houston
The slack is cut. Fair enough, they're not 100% my cup of tea - but I admire the fact that they got on television. My hat is off to them.

However, the "no cutting" thing is a load of crap. I can see why they would edit the footage to their advantage, and I understand that. I'd probably do the same thing in their situation... but if I did, I wouldn't claim that I didn't.
I don't want to expose anything, but look at the Foxy Buzz Saw thing again, there's a blatant cut as the camera pans around the saw and focuses in on one of their backs for a second. Why do you think that segment wasn't filmed in front of an audience?

In the Magick TV show, if you remember that far back - areas of the screen were purposely blurred & stuff, or the camera would suddenly jerk at quite a convenient moment to move an object out of shot. I'd love to get ahold of those old episodes to watch again, as I appreciated that show a bit more than their performance on Dirty Tricks Ep1.

Oh, does anyone have the "underground" Barry & Stuart vids that circulated before they got their TV deal? I wouldn't mind a copy of them, as they distributed them - and encouraged them to be copied.

I just got an email from Pete, thanking me for the good comments I gave him - and he let me know that the rest of the series is choc-full of incredibly cool stuff. Can't wait.
-James
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
The show was quite good, if you remove the so-called hypnotist. in my opinion it was a big NO NO. he streched it to the limits with the girl, making the whole thing a farce.
Apart from that it was ok magic.

on a different note. I have all 3 espisodes of MAGICK.
I had read on the stuart & barry site that there was a 4th one.
anyone has any idea?
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Tell you what James. Why don't you ask Pete if there were cuts ot not, then get back to us.
He'll only tell you what everyone in TV knows. There were no cuts.
When you're a little more experienced you'll rekise that these are standard effects which do not require cuts of any kind.
Magicman101uk
View Profile
Regular user
Nuneaton, UK
146 Posts

Profile of Magicman101uk
I have to agree with a lot of the comments above, as I thought a lot of the show was pretty dull with some diamonds buried in there (goldfish and sawing in half were genius). I think 'joe public' enjoyed it tho, which I guess it the main aim, as there is more of 'them' than 'us'. My 79 year old grandma loved it!

Cheers

Paul
Anyone here believe in psycho-kinesis? Raise my hand!

www.paul-humphreys.com
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
Bobser,

Calm down a little..
I have an opinion and to say that I am talking out of my XXXX is very childish.

I know what I know which maybe wrong to you but I would not and will not start to throw insults at you because you have a different point of view to me.

I could sit with you through the episodes of Magick and point out the various cuts.

I will say this, I have no objection to the Magick guys using cuts as the show was a different non proving kind of show. But I believe they do use cuts and trust me I have far more knowledge than you may think I do.

I don't know if you have some kind of link with the Magick guys or Objective but if so I can understand your backing them up but please don't insult me because I think otherwise.

Express your point and the knowledge you have by all means, I respect your views as much as my own.

Jon
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
'MopKrayz'
there are 6 episodes and I do believe they have been commissioned for a second episode.

'Jon',
I don't think to say that you are talking out of your XXXX is very childish. In fact I beleive that to say what you said was very childish, since it was a either a fabrication of your imagination or sour grapes.
To remind you, you actually said, as a matter of fact, that anyone who disagreed with your opinion, were either lacking in knowledge or a groupie of the Dirty Tricks team. Talk about insults!

And this person tea boy, who was 'at the filming', if he exists, simply told you a load of complete and utter nonsense. As you do when you suggest cuts.
Sir I hereby challenge you (slaps face with silk glove).
Jon Beetham
View Profile
New user
Newcastle
71 Posts

Profile of Jon Beetham
What's your choice of weapon Bobser...

A deck of cards or the deadly TT?.. ;-)

Bobser, on a serious note one thing I did omit from my earlier post is that I though Magick was very good regardless of how I think they achieved certain effects, it is definately a programme that stands out from the rest because it is / was very original..

The two guys clearly are thinking outside of the box something which unfortunately is lacking in many magic shows these days with exception of Derren Brown..

I'll see you in the courtyard you scoundrel

Jon
felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
I think that the escape was faked, as the iron hit over the guy's naval and the burn appeared between that and his chest.

NOT that I blame the bloke - that's what I would have done.

felix
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
I had the privilege of attending some of the filming of the shows and have seen most of the final edits. There IS a very small amount "creative editing" but no cutting.

I very much admire Stuart and barry's stuff and don't think they actually required this to be done as their material is strong enough to show it "as seen".

I suspect the post-production editing was out-with their control. By "creative-editing" I mean that the camera will focus on Barry, for example, while Stuart is doing "something". I don't think this is necessary as the structure of their routines does this anyway. The production team probably wanted to ensure that the VCR brigade would not have the opportunity to rewind and find.

The public probably don't care or really notice and it is the public's opinion that really matters.

Keep up the good work lads!

Villa
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
6 episodes of magick?!!!
are you sure?
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So, its Saturday morning. The day after episode 2 of Dirty Tricks.

What did you all think?

Personally I liked this one better than the last. I really enjoyed the escape. I love using wheely bins when doing my own underwater stuff and have never seen anyone else do it, so it was nice to be on the audience end and be able to enjoy it.

Take care and I look forward to your comments.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Ben Shawcross
View Profile
New user
Cardiff UK
86 Posts

Profile of Ben Shawcross
I agree that this episode was better than the first apart from the voice over. Ali Cook seems a bit wasted, it would be good to see him do some of his close up material.

The rubiks cube routine was very fresh, all of the effects blended well. The tablets jumping from one person to the other was great. That reminded me of a similar moment with a gun in the film Fight Club. Looking forward to next week!