The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Things you would like to see if Criss Angel produced another television series. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
Wouldn't it be AWESOME if Criss Angel had a show in which the final stunt was performed LIVE on television? This would make for some very suspenseful T.V. and cerainly keep you on the edge of your seat. The drama and suspense is somewhat missing in the current MindFreak show on A&E because you know he must have made it through the stunt since you see previews for the future episodes.

However, with doing the final stunt live it totally keeps you on the edge of your seat each week. All the magic before the final stunt could be taped ahead of time in a similar style as in the current MindFreak series but, at the end you see him do the stunt live. It would make for a great 1 hour episode where it would flash to a live moment every now and then throughout the show to keep up the suspense. Then at the very end of the show you see the live stunt. Man, that would rock! This would add a lot of drama and then the tension would be real. We'd all have thoughts that he might not acually survive and it would be incredibly dramatic. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to pull something off like this on national T.V. yet it would be extremely entertaining and great for magic.

What do you think? Do you have any other ideas which would be great to see if Criss Angel produced another television series?

Kind regards,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
That is a VERY good idea! I would LOVE to see Criss Angel perform his final stunt LIVE! In fact, the Wine Barrel escape, bed of spikes with Hummer, and the Fish Hook stunts could probably all have been done live since no camera edits were necessary. This would have built up the drama. Each week people would tune in just to see Criss perform his wild stunt live on T.V.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
But you won't see it done unless he moves the show to one of the so-called Big Three, and even then the expense of doing a live feed on a weekly basis would be prohibitively expensive. That with the fact that it would only be "Live" once and the rest of the time zones would get a time delayed showing of it.
What I would like to see is more magic and less "Day in the life" quasi documentary filler. I really could care less what his brother, girlfriend and crew members think about Chris and I really doubt that he spends all that much time walking the streets performing guerilla magic unless he is taping a show.
Put a couple more tricks in there instead.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicjody
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of magicjody
How about just magic with no lame stunts. That would make a great magic special.
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Yes it would, to magicians.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I'm seconding Payne on this issue...

Live shows are many things: Expensive, Risky, a freaking nightmare to coordinate, and only live to a limited number of time zones (unless you want to spend a LOT more money and it's really not worth it.)....

Instead of doing a live stunt at the end of EACH show, why not have a season finale that is Live? He could have some really great pre-taped segments of different tricks and things, then the last tow segments go LIVE with a great stunt (Milk Can escape maybe??).

For the record I like Criss and think he is doing good things for Magic, in his own way...

Which of course is the best way to do it.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
If Criss had another show, I'd like to see.....less of his flesh.
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
I'd like to see him get a haircut. ditto to what payne said, it doesn't give off a good vibe with what he is doing.

I think the best parts of the show are the intro and the lead ins to the commercials, he should do the whole show with those folks, heck, it could even be a reality show.

oliver
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
The advice I'd give is don't do a series with so many episodes!!! I liked the show initially, but now it feels like watching it is a duty. It's getting a little tedious, to be honest. I actually don't think he has a strong enough personality to carry a show for this long.

Do fewer shows, pack more magic into each show, and if you're going to do stunts, do stunts that are compelling for reasons other than "this is really dumb and could kill him". In fact, associate your stunts with magic. The stunt in the first episode was good -- he finished the burning with an illusion.

Of course, I say this as a magician. I have no idea if the general viewer feels the same way.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Good call barry,

I think if he would have vanished off the hooks while being hung by the helicopter and then reappeared as either the pilot or a guy on the ground directing the landing, then I'd stick with it.

let me change that a little bit to be a pilot or a guy on the ground directing the landing with a haircut.

oliver
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Let's see...less of his family, girlfriend, his skin, stunts, stooges (you get the idea). The "Wizard of Warsaw" is still more entertaining but has been relegated to that of buffoon.

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 18:41, oagwood wrote:
Good call barry,

I think if he would have vanished off the hooks while being hung by the helicopter and then reappeared as either the pilot or a guy on the ground directing the landing, then I'd stick with it.

let me change that a little bit to be a pilot or a guy on the ground directing the landing with a haircut.

oliver

I was going to let this go but you mentioned it twice. What is your problem with his hair? I'm not quite sure if you are joking or not, but I hope you are. What does his hair have anything ot do with his magic or his stunts. Do you have some sort of fear of long hair or are you strangely attracted to men with long hair. That would be like me saying that I wish you didn't wear such a dorky goofy suit. I just don't get what your deal is.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are right his hair has nothing to do with the fact that his magic bites. He could be the best groomed guy in the world and it would not make him any better.

I like the fact that he has a kind of unique look and personality. I think that is cool at least. The rest is lame but I actually like the image!

That being said, I would like to see some actual magic in his special. Or any magic that he or any recent special could duplicate for an audience of paid patrons not in on the gaff.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Watching a few more of these shows, I think I see what irritates me about his presentations. It's the same reason I hated Uri Geller. He presented his magic as if he really had the powers he was exhibiting. Angel goes on and on as if he possessed REAL magic powers. I suppose their are others who still do this as well. But I prefer the more pragmatic approach as exemplified by Penn & Teller; two guys with no magical powers who have learned to do a few cool things - to paraphrase. In this day and age only the truly ignorant really believe a person can do the impossible. But then I may over-estimate Angel's audience.

So I guess if he produced a new show I'd have him cut the BS and try and be more of an entertainer and less of a wanna-be messiah.

Second, I'd have him sit on the couch in the hotel room and talk a little bit and let Johnny Thompson do all the magic. Now that would be a magic show!
Monoxide
View Profile
New user
NW Indiana/Chicago
12 Posts

Profile of Monoxide
I would also like to see live stunts to add to danger element. Also never has any layperson I talk to ever critisized his magic even if they don't like his show his magic is never questioned.

mono
Purify my soul change the crows to doves
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
He flat says he does not have magical powers... and yes he has signed for another season.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Caveat, Glad you asked. Here is my deal, I don't like the 1980s glam rock wanne be look. I think it looks silly.

And before you begin questioning my reasoning for disliking his hair my sexuality and my choice of attire please make sure your side of the street is clean.

I made a comment about something that I didn't like, you don't like it, too bad.

it's not like I am some hippy with all sorts of silly metal in my face who spends too much time plucking my eyebrows while wearing a dorky goofy suit making unwarranted comments about somebody else's silly comments. that would be a different story and entirely uncalled for.

oliver
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I would like to see ATTABOY. No one is doing that anymore.
:)
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com