The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Is this for real? Copperfield :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
My friend Lyndel brought this to my attention.

Can this be real?

"Copperfield Inpregnates A Women From The Audience! Child Is Born One Hour Later."

Is Copperfield really going to try to pull this off?

Has David Copperfield crossed the line of good taste?

Here is the story from the Las Vegas Sun.

lasvegassun.com

This will be interesting....

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I have no idea why he'd want to even think about doing something like that. His shows have gotten more and more distasteful. His last, which I saw in Minnesota, was very raunchy and sick. I was pretty disappointed. Steve is very right in saying, "This will be intresting..."

Justin Smile
magicdad
View Profile
New user
Indiana
25 Posts

Profile of magicdad
Hi;
If you don't like raunchy and sick, I hope you missed the Chris Angel TV special last night!!!

Magicdad
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Justin,

I stand up and clap my hands together for your opinions! You keep up your posts.

We as magicians reading this post need to pay attention. We all can learn a lot from Justin's wisdom here! He's right.

Thanks Justin!

Bascomb
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Assuming this is not a satirical comment given credence by a humorless reporter, then there will be a precipitous loss of respect. I hope this is not the case, as stated in the Las Vegas Sun, as it would be disappointing.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I think maybe he's expecting a baby in real life, and the reporter was just making a joke about it...
Ellusionist
View Profile
New user
Texas
25 Posts

Profile of Ellusionist
I hope so!!
ç h r ï § ç h æ f f è r
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Geoff,

If that's the case, then Steve Brooks' admonitions about sarcasm not always crossing the bridge of understanding is a very compelling argument.
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Can I say one more comment here?

If it is true, (story in the Las Vegas Sun)
I will be the first to say,
"That is quite possibly the most idiotic idea in magic I have heard of yet."

If it is not true, as Gilda Radner said, "Nevermind".
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 01:06, justinflom wrote:
I have no idea why he'd want to even think about doing something like that. His shows have gotten more and more distastful. His last, which I saw in Minnesota, was very raunchy and sick.
Are you referring to the "panty transposition" effect?
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Yes, that. Many raunchy jokes that were unneeded. He even made fun of a heavy woman's weight!!! It got so quiet in the theater you could almost hear a career drop!

I also didn't like Blinky's Revenge (a clown using a bucket as a toilet). Overall, his show didn't have the class or "magic" feeling his past shows had. It's my belief that he threw a bunch of illusions in a show just because he had to do a tour with some new illusions. He should have thought it out more.

Justin
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I don't think this kind of "magic" can become any kind of a trend.

People will vote with their feet.

It beats me what some folks will do for a buck (pound, sheckle, loonie, or whatever).

You don't have to shock folks to be a magician, just be entertaining.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Justin said:

" It got so quiet in the theater you could almost hear a career drop! "

We can only hope for the best. I think this is pure and simple a case of societial degradation, and DC is a product of that. So when you perform magic, do the best job you can and keep it clean!
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Like Justin, I too was disappointed in the tone of Copperfields "portal" show. I took my girlfriend and she liked it ok, but I really want to take her to see Lance Burton since IMHO his stage persona and show seem much less "synthetic" than DC's show. His show seems much more "family friendly" than DC's show these days. And since I like DC, I feel it's a shame...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
I miss the days when DC added drama and emotions in his routines. Like snow, flying, father and son baseball routine (an oldie) and many others. There's no emotion in switiching a woman's underwear with another.

I strongly believe that this is the end of his career unless he changes his show, and his attitude. Within the next few months/years, we'll really see which type of magic the public likes, entertaining family freindly magic, or stupid sick magic. I think we all know which type of magic has succeeded in the past. Smile

Justin
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Justin:

You said, "I strongly believe that this is the end of his career unless he changes his show, and his attitude."

You hit the nail on the head! Attitude being the key word here. Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting the big guy?
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Once, but I was ten. My mom was one of the 13 that vanished on stage, so she went backstage and sat in the greenroom until he came in and signed autographs for the 13 (subtracted by the stooges) Smile and told them to keep the magic a secret.

I'm sure he's a really great guy, I think he's just blind to the fact that his magic isn't what it used to be. He didn't get to the top with stupid tricks like he's doing now.

Justin
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Justin:

You said, "I'm sure he's a really great guy".

I want to remain positive here, I had the opportunity to meet DC once. I was 15 years old, he was not even famous then......I am not going to elaborate here, but my biggest "pet peeve" in life is this.....

"mean people that become successful"

Funny thing is, I seem not to be the only one who has had this experience.

Those of you out there in magicland (from stage hands to illusion inventors) who had the same experience, you know who you are...
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
To Flip:
Re: Lance Burton
Yes his show is great - The Best - Bear in mind - You're in Vegas and there are some wonderful girls in the show - but they're in such a hurry to help Lance with his magic, they sometimes forget to put their tops on
And yes Mr. Bascomb - They have the audacity to charge full price, even though the girls aren't using their costumes

As always, let's wait to see what that press release really means before we jump - I too hope that it was an over-zealous writer or PR dept rather than a statement of fact

Take a breath
Dave
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
There was indeed partial nudity in Lance's show before he moved to his new digs at the Monte Carlo.

I'm pretty sure this is no longer the case.

Having seen his show at the Monte Carlo about two years ago, I can assure you that it is quite "family friendly". Lance even does a whole routine in which children are intrinsically involved. Doubtful he would risk angry parents by having nudity in his current show. Unless it's somehow changed drastically in the last year or two. Smile

Quote:
And yes Mr. Bascomb - They have the audacity to charge full price, even though the girls aren't using their costumes

Once again, are you sure his current show features partial nudity? IMHO you're mistaken here.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive