The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: On Seeing Blaine's Street Magic Rerun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Stefan Rupar
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Stefan Rupar
He was a *** good card technician. Granted, his top changes benefited from vid editing, but I daresay he probably got away with murder with good misdirection, which he definetly had.

Problem was that his specks were phony plants.

I know that this has been hashed over for years but I'm seeing this for the first time.

Since he went into houdini stunts I'm not even paying attention.
tropicalpenguin
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of tropicalpenguin
ya, incredible on the cards, but I personally think he should stick to the street instead of trying to hit the public arena.
-Tropical penguin Smile
-The penguin has spoken Smile

-How could 52 pieces of cardboard ever bring so much joy?
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Here we go..

Take care,
Bobby.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
gilbreath76
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of gilbreath76
Quote:
On 2002-10-20 21:53, Stefan Rupar wrote:
He was a *** good card technician. Granted, his top changes benefited from vid editing, but I daresay he probably got away with murder with good misdirection, which he definetly had.

Problem was that his specks were phony plants.

I know that this has been hashed over for years but I'm seeing this for the first time.

Since he went into houdini stunts I'm not even paying attention.

I don't think his specs are phony plants. He just films so many people and he puts on television the specs with the best reactions. Nothing wrong with Blaine in my book.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
After all, don't musicians re-record their performances in the studio, so that the finished song or album sounds great? I'd hate to hear one of my favourite artists put out a rough version of a track, just to be "Realistic".

Magic in general, and Blaine in particular, is about entertainment. It'd be a pretty boring show if all we saw were muted reactions to his tricks.

Ben
Tom Witcomb
View Profile
New user
Sarasota, Florida
93 Posts

Profile of Tom Witcomb
"""Phony plants"""
The cute dark haired girl..she signs a card and also in the levetation shots with 2 blondes..Her name is Brandy, well she was his girlfriend at that time..
She was on some game show a week before the street magic first aired and was talking about her boyfriend Blain..
Tom
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 04:15, GothicBen wrote:
I'd hate to hear one of my favourite artists put out a rough version of a track, just to be "Realistic".

The Grateful Dead made a killing doing just that. Just kidding.
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Sorry guys, can't agree. Think I said this on another thread, but my own reaction on re-watching El Blainisimo was - WOW. I realised I had had my mind poisoned by carping magicians, but found it incredibly easy to see why he's successful. He has excellent chops for what he does, superlative misdirection, and most of all an original PERSONA, which seamlessly integrates them into a smooth and genuinely mystifying performance. TV edits and 'cheats' everything to get it to look right, so why should this suddenly be not allowed for Magic Shows?

Agree about the pointless megastunts though.

Look. Watch...

Smile
Tilt
View Profile
Veteran user
L.A.
387 Posts

Profile of Tilt
What is wrong with the world when Blain is considered a good card technician? You people need to get out more.

Tilt
douwe
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
52 Posts

Profile of douwe
Blaine did a lot of fony things in his TV special. So I think Blaine is not a good magicain.

Bst regards,

Douwe
Life is one big illusion!
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 11:53, Tilt wrote:
What is wrong with the world when Blain is considered a good card technician? You people need to get out more.

Tilt

haha. One thing's for sure; when said assumptions are made with the aforementioned supporting statement, the world definitely has things wrong with it.

Take care,
Bobby.
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H. Duell, US Commissioner of Patents, 1899
BlakeBlair
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny So. California
111 Posts

Profile of BlakeBlair
Blaine Blaine Blaine... Smile

Did anyone notice.. (On Television) Blaine going up against Criss-angle last night on TV.. I believe it was ABC Family and PAX... Criss had Two showing (mindfreak) and Blaine 1 (streetmagic)... sorry David...

BB
FuFanu.. Two Cards Torn & Restored...

Are You Ready ?! Its here !!
Stick Man
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of Stick Man
Too many young people are hit by Blaine's magic because they don't know any themselves. E.G. the coin bite, non magicians don't realize how simple this move really is. Anyone could learn this in 10mins!
brownitus
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of brownitus
Smile

Take care,
Bobby.
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I believe you on the planted spectator "Brandy" being Blains Girlfriend,
or at least a dead sure plant, if you noticed, when Blain showed the card with her signature on it, it was a double lift..
(his lift get-readys were obvious, but he did incorperate good misdirection)
anyway, he performed a double lift, showed the signature,placed the double back on the deck and then right before he ripped up the real top card, Brandy's name was seen on it as well, so he obviously had brandy's signature on the top 2 cards already..
In any case, I found it entertaining to watch
a second time around, and I second the statement made previously that Blain should leave the Houdini illusions to others..
Later
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
zmagicleez
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of zmagicleez
On davids first dvd he said to Leonard dicaprio that it seems like magicians are to busy trying to do the next biggest thing, isnt that what he is now doing with these daft stunts?
It's a small world... but you wouldn't want to hoover it.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
No matter what is said about Blane:
uses stooges,camera tricks & editing, cut & paste,not technically good etc etc, I must say this 'He has Put Street Magic & Close Up Magic On The Map'! That said,I am not a fan of his by any means.I was present when he showed up at the very first
'Magic On Manhattan' convention in New York City.I saw him for a few moments & he was gone! I was told that he thought he should not pay, sneaked in & then was asked to leave.
Could it be that HE thought he was TOO BIG & Famous to pay as he just had his first TV show aired??!!!
peng
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
81 Posts

Profile of peng
I believe, in general, there's nothing wrong using stooges if by doing so improve the overall magical experience for other people.

I heard that even Copperfield used a stooge to fly with him in Flying. Not that he couldn't use a real audience, but just to be sure nothing goes wrong.
Peng
AndrewG
View Profile
Regular user
UK
101 Posts

Profile of AndrewG
I don't agree with you completely Peng.

Yes I want to entertain but I think I would get less satisfaction perorming an effect which didn't rely on my skill primarily.

For the same reason I tend to avoid bought dealer effects requiring gaffed props. I love the purity of sleight of hand and misdirection alone.
Andrew
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Smile Peng just said it wasn't wrong.. its completely unrelated to how much satisfaction it brings you as a performer.