The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Increasing magic exposure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
No, not that kind of exposure. I'm talking about positive exposure.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in magic representation in media lately? I don't know if the increase is real or if I'm just paying more attention, but there are at least four current/recent commercials airing which feature magicians (two with Siegfried and Roy, one with Copperfield, and one with the Cingular fellow).

I heard references to David Blaine twice on television within the past week (like it or not, his name has apparently become synonomous with "magician" to many laypeople)--once by Deion Sanders on CBS's NFL Today, and once on a primetime sitcom or drama (I don't recall which for certain).

My perspective may be skewed because I work in television. Is the surge real or imagined and how does this impact the image of magic? Any thoughts?

Paul M.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Kreskin is also doing spots for the state lottery here in New Jersey.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
Paul,

Yes, the answer to the question you posed. Magic is a funny "creature", it seems to go through "fazes". Over the years, I notice times where the public is aware of illusionists and magicians in general. Then, at other times, the magic seems to fade back while the public focuses on other matters.

I think we can all agree with this! That being said, at the present time, it seems different.

We have seen two widely aired exposure shows adding to the "magic exposure" as you pharased Paul! Additionally, we the public have had to be subjected downtown city magic. Now, most recently, "Marilyn Manson Magic".

I feel right now, we the "working" magicians of the world who care deeply about the art, must work hard to communicate to the public through our performances, that magic as an entertainment form is not supposed to be "Cheesy".

Bascomb
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Timothy
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama, USA
174 Posts

Profile of Timothy
Paul,
I notice this exposure too. Usually though, it's during the November "sweeps" season for television. It seems to have started earlier, though.
On a side note, the commercial where Sigfried & Roy are in the Mini-Mart is just plain funny. I mean these guys are real showmen! I actually wanted to eat a microwaved burrito after they made it look like a dazzling event!
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Timothy,

I agree regarding the S&R commercial. The hand waving in front of the microwave (as if the rapid heating is "magic") is a riot!

Paul M.
Billy_zoom
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Billy_zoom
Agreed. I just watched CSI on Thurs. Magic themed (although quite odd, I must say).
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that episode of CSI. It portrayed magicians as arrogant, competitive, back-stabbing, murderous thieves. How ridiculous! How many magicians do you know who are actually murderers? Smile Smile

It makes sense to bring magicians into a story set in Las Vegas, but they did sacrifice some facts for the sake of fiction (nothing new for CSI, as they often take liberties with the "science" of the show). Then again, magicians often take liberties with history and science in their patter, so fair is fair, I suppose.
Billy_zoom
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Billy_zoom
Yeah I just thought it was funny when they were talking about how isolated magicians are, never speaking to anyone, sharing their secrets, or have any comraderie with other magicians...Apparently CSI never investigated the Café!