The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Michael Carbonaro - The Carbonaro Effect (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Chad, I love this show and trust me I'm very hard to please with any so called reality T.V of even magic show.I can tell the people's reaction is real and that's what makes it so good..It reminds me of the old Allen Funt's Candid Camera T.V. show from the late 40's to late 50s.

Keep up the good work...
Don
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2014, jkaplan55 wrote:
Hey Chad, Love the show. Is the never ending beer a multum in parvo? Have never seen it done in pint glasses with beer before.

Good Job,

Jay

No the never ending beer works on a whole different method. We did a multum in parvo routine though at the coffee shop. The idea was that the small and grande sizes are really the same but they charge you more for one to make you feel like you are getting a better deal.I am not sure if that has aired yet. But I think it did.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, DonDriver wrote:
Chad, I love this show and trust me I'm very hard to please with any so called reality T.V of even magic show.I can tell the people's reaction is real and that's what makes it so good..It reminds me of the old Allen Funt's Candid Camera T.V. show from the late 40's to late 50s.

Keep up the good work...
Don

Michael watches the old Candid Camera shows for inspiration. Thanks for noticing the similarities.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I like the nice guy persona...

I'm sure he is a nice guy. Smile

But that they didn't go Criss Angel is what I like.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Shagbeard
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Shagbeard
My little magician in the making will run and stop everything to watch! Great show, I was amazed. The bear in the toy store, the gators, the time loop... All of it was great.
Magic speaks to the child in all of us. No matter how sophisticated we become, there's still a part of us who wants to believe in an alternative reality, where we can defy the laws of nature.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2014, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2014, DonDriver wrote:

Keep up the good work...
Don

Michael watches the old Candid Camera shows for inspiration. Thanks for noticing the similarities.

It is old candid camera inspired but it also stands on it own.

I am not a big fan but of what is offered as television magic of late this is a front runner by a pretty wide margin. Which is why I hope it stays on the air for a while. Good luck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gregor Von G.
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Gregor Von G.
Hi
I just watched the show (In Italy is arrived a little later and I didn't know the existence before...)and I'm really happy to see finally a good magic tv show!
Has got all I appreciate, humor in primis.
Bravi!
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
This is a great show, excellent humour and Michael is a fantastic bullcrapper. Best 'magic' show I've seen. No pretension, no humiliation. Shoulda been more successful, what happened?
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
I just noticed there's an episode for season 2, so here's hoping for more!
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
A new season premieres July 29 on truTV. In the meanwhile, they're running repeats, and episodes are available "on demand" (at least on my cable system).

The program is very entertaining. Often when I'm watching magic on television I'm so busy trying to "catch" the method that I miss some of the entertainment. This program is different. From the television viewer's perspective, some of the effects seem to be accomplished with the STRONG misdirection that's only possible with control of camera angles and a sensitive editor. But the show is not so much about fooling the TV audience as it is about fooling the person interacting with Michael. In fact, sometimes we're watching the person be distracted while the dirty work is done off-camera -- and that's the point. We're brought into the world of the on-screen audience member and get to experience a moment of surrealism along with them. Thanks for a fun program!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
The new season is off and running! The first episode (S2E1) was pretty good. I look forward to seeing the future episodes. Michael has a great team behind him.
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
He stated in an interview that they check all the camera angles when editing to make sure the trick isn't exposed. He also said that the participant is not in on it. Even my wife likes the show, she generally has a dislike for magicians. However there was one episode where a guy brought in his art to be appraised. He says he's had the item for a year. It's in a box, which he puts on the counter. It was a terracotta bird. It's removed from the box, then he breaks it open, and a bird was inside. This seems like the other person had to be in on it. Because obviously he wasn't going to break some guys art. And if the guy just brought it in, it would be pretty difficult to just happen to have a weird terracotta bird lying around. Are some the scenes for this show with planted people?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Criss Angel claims not to use stooges.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
Criss Angel probably also claims to not use camera tricks. However Carbonaro seems more honest. I never get the feeling that he's lying to the audience. It's just this one trick seems to not be feasible. Unless there is something he's not showing us.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Other than doing another season I have no idea what he is doing either. Congratulations to the team.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Yllawwally, I would imagine there's a lot they aren't showing us. I think there's sometimes a bit of research done in advance to prepare for a person's visit. But my sense is that the show isn't about trying to fool the television audience as much as it's about enjoying the reaction of a person who is being amazed in person. With that as the goal, it makes sense to omit some of the prep work that makes an effect possible.
Terry Pratchett
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21287 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The goal is good TV. Not impressing magicians.

It can be debated if they accomplish the goal but indeed that is the goal. They have another season going. Someone must be happy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Danny, count me among the "someone must be happy" numbers. The show has the good-natured fun of classic "Candid Camera," plus now and then you get to see a nice magic trick. Think back to some of the old "Candid Camera" episodes and you'll see that Allen Funt was filming people's reactions to magic tricks happening in unexpected places. One that springs to mind is the episode where a woman rolls up in her car and says she's having trouble, and when the mechanic lifted the hood the entire engine was missing. "The Carbonaro Effect" captures some of that same zany fun.
Terry Pratchett
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Did you catch Jon Lovick in the key transporter episode?