The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic names and the media :: Close-Up Magic Week on Letterman (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..21~22~23 [Next]
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
TKO:
I think the interaction was better with Letterman by Carney, except the no response that seemed to catch him off guard when Letterman asked him if he was getting paid. I'm sure many of us can come up with some clever lines the day after the show.

But...I think I have to give in a bit to you as I'm a bit shocked at what laypeople are posting on the CBS forum. I have not read it yet but take your word for it. The regular people watching the show should be the real judge own who was the most entertaining. I guess I am a dope. I'm heading over to the CBS site now to see the comments.

Rich B.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
TKO...before I head over to the CBS forum. The post above really reminded me why I wasn't crazy about Johnny Ace Palmer's Routine.

Pulling a coin from behind Letterman's ear? How long have many fathers and grandfathers been doing that for? Centuries?

I think that could have been left off national TV.

Rich B.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 13:19, Rich B. wrote:

TKO...after I read your opinion of Carney's performance, I was expecting to see a complete debacle...instead I was fooled when I finally watched it. Maybe I'm a dope...but I think you were a bit hard on John Carney.

Rich B.

Let me apologize in anyway possible if anybody thinks I was hard on Carney. Carney has more talent and knowledge in his little finger than I will in a lifetime. I'm only stating my thoughts and laypeople's thoughts on here cause it's a magic forum. I am also learning a lot listening from you guys especially Pete Biro stating maybe Carney should of used something skin color?????
I was only stating that Carney wrote numerous books on angles, presentation, performances, etc...He also put out many dvd's and lectured on everything we are talking about.
I was dumbfounded to see him on tv dropping his hat, saying he needs practice, flashing the orange, flashing the coconut, how he came running out, how he didn't thank Dave for having him on, for having a prop that looked like it went thru a war, how he paused after jokes Letterman makes and has no response?
Yes this confused me, but here is Randall messed up how many times but laypeople enjoyed him better. You can even hear the audience enjoy Randall more.
Remeber we are entertainers first than we are magicians.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Problems with the setting,
Problems with the host,
Problems with the routines,
Problems with the angles,

These are all NORMAL issues that any performer deals with every show. The fact that they are on Letterman is no different.

No one has yet to nail it in any truly impressive way... here is hoping the last two can.
paynow
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of paynow
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 13:40, Moxahalla wrote:
Shoot me for saying this...

The audience for Letterman is under 40 & "hip"...

WE know the performers this week are world-class...but do David's young lay audience see the performers as nothing more than pudgy, middle-aged, balding men - doing coin & card tricks that their nerdy Uncles used to do to them at birthday parties?

Where were the young, fresh, cool close-up guys?---Mmm, are there any?

(Playing devil's advocate, only)

I think Dave would have been much harder on some Goth teen with an Invisible Viper Deck than he would be on the the old balding guys.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Moxahalla:

While I actually agree with your general point that thus far these guys are coming off as VERY old school and somewhat tired style of magic (and in fact it has gotten progressively worse what with J.A.P. ill fitted tux and coins from the ear schtick) you are a bit off on your average viewer age guess.

In fact according to the ratings (which track ages as well as overall viewers for this is how ad rates are determined) Letterman's average viewer age is a whopping 57.1 years old. Conan while he was briefly on the tonight show had an average age of 47.5 and old fashioned Nightlien is actually younger than Letterman's audience at 56.3.

The only current show to average and under 40 audience is Jimmy Fallon and even then just BARELY under 40. And remember, Letterman himself is in his 60's.

None of this changes the fact that I agree the magic thus far feels oddly out of date but maybe Letterman specifically wanted a sort of retro vibe.

One thing none of us has talked about is that maybe Letterman's people have specifically asked for a classic type of demonstration and have nixed ideas for more "edgy" material.
Adammcd
View Profile
Regular user
Greensburg PA
132 Posts

Profile of Adammcd
This was my first time seeing JAPalmer. I thought his magic was top notch. But I didn't like him as a person. I thought he talked down to the audience. Those routines were very nice. And doing a gag first was a great way to help handle David. That all being said, I appreciate what JAPalmer brings to the table and think this week is a great week for magic in general.

Adam

BTW; There is talk all the time in the Table Hoppers Forum about training the audience and what's ok and not ok and when to clap and so on. Perhaps David just needs that training which is harder to do in a situation where the other is in control. In 99% of magic situations the Magician is in control, thus making it easier to train said audience. In this one situation the magician is merely a guest. It would appear in this instance because the magician is not in 100% control that the training is slower process. I think David has been a way better participant as the week has gone on and I think he will get better with the next two.
The last thing you ever expected, should have been the first.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Man, some of you people are harsh.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
This week is only good for magic. My estimation of the impression non-magician viewers get. Jason nervous, pleasant, passable but not great magic. Carney reserved good magician. His fault or not when the home audience sees a flash they aren't analytical about whose fault it is, they just think they saw how he did it. Palmer, the least nervous and his nerdy looking tux and somewhat goofy manner made him a character. So far his magic was the best received. That's it.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 15:44, Frank Starsini wrote:
Man, some of you people are harsh.

I don't think anybody is harsh. We are all magicians here telling the truth and what we think. We could be dead wrong. But this is a magic forum. Not a David Letterman forum.
If these magicians were a no name there would be fireworks amongst us.
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Okay. You liked this, you didn't like that. You thought it was a disaster, you though it was great.

We all watched. We wish there was more of this on TV. So what do you want to do?

Might I suggest that we all go to the the letterman web site and say what a thrill it was to watch and that we would like more of it. Not as a magician buta as a TV viewer. Maybe if we get 10% of the 43,000 members of this site to do so we can have something to complain about every week.

Just a thought.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
[quote]On 2010-05-20 11:35, manreb wrote:
Quote:

David you might want to look at that clip again, they left it true to the original.

On 2010-05-20 00:55, David Todd wrote:
I was glad to see that the official edited version posted on the CBS website took out the orange flash. Smile

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/......Im&nrd=1

Ooops ! You're absolutely right. My mistake . I must not have been paying attention when I re-watched it on the CBS site. The clip was so heavily edited that I think I must have skipped ahead (past the "orange flash" part) and made the assumption (wishful thinking on my part?) that they had edited out the flash. Well, that's what I get for posting at 1:00 am when I'm tired. Duh.

So now I'm sort of ****ed off at CBS. They obviously had time for someone to go back and edit the clip for the website because it is in fact quite heavily edited to take out some of the banter between Letterman and Carney. They could have edited out the flash , but they didn't. Smile
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I've got google analytics working over on my blog, and one of the things it does is keep track of the search engine results that bring people to my blog. Palmer's chick final load has got a lot of people searching for the method right now. I'm going to take that as a point in his favour in terms of how well the effect was received.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Is there a link to he CBS forums where they are talking about this?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Johnny has been doing the chick load for years and it's one of his signature pieces.
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 13:58, TKO MAGIC wrote:
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/......12930716
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Kcg5, a few posts above yours is the link.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Gazzo
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Gazzo
First off, I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Johnny Ace Palmer was brilliant, as he always is. John Carney was brilliant, as he always is. Its not his fault that he got unlucky with the camera angles. To me its no big deal that there is a flash of orange. He still shines through. As for Jay Randall still really good, but his choice of material was something to think about. But above all things, its really really difficult to look good when you are on tv, you can't misdirect a camera. As for Palmer opening with commercial stuff like coin rolls etc...he does this on purpose to get the audience on his side. Which was the right decision in my opinion. Commercial magic is the way to go. John tried something very technically demanding which he is famous for. He works harder than anybody and to me it worked well.
As for Letterman being Letterman, you first have to understand it is his show. I don't see anything wrong with his comments. It was a real world ( not a magic convention), real people, real performing situation. Its no different from performing behind a bar or cocktail party. I have encountered and seen worse situations at the Magic Castle. But lucky for the magic fraternity they picked three performers so far that I think can think on their feet.
But I know my friend Steve Cohen is going to do extremely well also because he performs all the time. Probably more than anybody working around at the moment. I'm sure Ammar will do equally as good. It will be great for the magic world. I just think its good for everybody in Magic that we have 5 of our best on National Television.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 19:17, Gazzo wrote:
First off, I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. Johnny Ace Palmer was brilliant, as he always is. John Carney was brilliant, as he always is. Its not his fault that he got unlucky with the camera angles. To me its no big deal that there is a flash of orange. He still shines through. As for Jay Randall still really good, but his choice of material was something to think about. But above all things, its really really difficult to look good when you are on tv, you can't misdirect a camera. As for Palmer opening with commercial stuff like coin rolls etc...he does this on purpose to get the audience on his side. Which was the right decision in my opinion. Commercial magic is the way to go. John tried something very technically demanding which he is famous for. He works harder than anybody and to me it worked well.
As for Letterman being Letterman, you first have to understand it is his show. I don't see anything wrong with his comments. It was a real world ( not a magic convention), real people, real performing situation. Its no different from performing behind a bar or cocktail party. I have encountered and seen worse situations at the Magic Castle. But lucky for the magic fraternity they picked three performers so far that I think can think on there feet.
But I know my friend Steve Cohen is going to do extremely well also because he performs all the time. Probably more than anybody working around at the moment. I'm sure Ammar will do equally as good. It will be great for the magic world. I just think its good for everybody in Magic that we have 5 of our best on National Television.

Great post.... I think we forget that now and then an "orange will flash" .... I also think that if a performer in any situation comes off less than perfect....they need to first look at themselves first. It's always easy to blame the situation, the lighting, the host...in this case.... But I agree, Letterman wasn't bad at all in my opinion. I have certainly had worse than that and I bet anyone reading this can say the same...Doc, I am guessing you can agree with my last sentence Smile

Be good,
Bk