The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Escapes for busking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
devinhesketh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of devinhesketh
Okay, So I recieved a 4 DVD set from Penguin Magic last month. It is Escapology with Dixie Dooley. Are escapes recommended for busking? Nothing big, just chain escapes, rope escapes or straight jacket escapes? I can see these things drawing a huge crowd, but are they recommended?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Bobby maverick does one GREAT straight Jacket escape as a finale, sometimes. It works good for him when he doesn't do the "kiwi of death" finish
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
devinhesketh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of devinhesketh
Okay, I was more thinking on doing an escape as a OPENER to draw a crowd. It kinda seems like a good way to attract attention. A guy all chained up struggling to escape. I mean who wouldnt stop and watch right? What do you think?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
It would seem to me that would appear to be a climax. Once you're out, what do you do from there that doesn't look like an anti-climax?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
I end my street show with a straight jacket. ALWAYS draws onlookers and provides a fun climax to the show.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Keep in mind that while you are "locked up" in a straight jacket or chains or similar then your busking gear and hat are subject to being taken and you can't chase after it or throw anything at the robber. So it would seem a good idea to have a friend around while you are locked up. A. to look after your gear. B. to release you if the routine doesn't work Smile
The presentation makes the magic.
devinhesketh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of devinhesketh
Okay, so by doing the escape first it makes the rest of the show anti-climatic? I was thinking on ending with cups and balls routine. Is that a letdown after seeing the chain escape first?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I would think so, but I'm not a full time busker. Maybe you can pull it off.
(I use a Shang-hi Shackle for my final trick.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax