The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Street Busking in front of protesters (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do you consider street busking at the present areas of where the protesters are is a good idea?
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
You're about a week late, many of the movements have been cleared out by the local peace officers.
The groups have decreased by considerable amounts.

We also discussed this issue here,
link
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In some cities they will have permits to come back. Detroit is one of them.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
They were dispersed in NY and the they headed in other parts of the city.

Now a judge said they can go back to where they were (i.e. Battery Park).

So they went back and setup camp. Today they were in front of NY Stock Exchange.

From my perspective, unless your part of the cause I don't think it will
work money wise. But the break and having some entertainment might be
of some value. But perhaps for a one shot deal, it might be worth it?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
In my opinion, bums like the people involved in this current protest do not deserve entertainment. (and yes that's all they are, a bunch of bums)

People who deserve entertainment are people who take the initiative to get a job, work hard, and earn money so they are able to pay for entertainment. This bunch of entitled bums might think they deserve entertainment, but they are delusional.

If anyone performs for them, good luck getting any tips, if anything when you perform for them I hope you shame them about not having any money and about not being able to give you a tip.

Please let me know if this is clear or if I should express my opinion on this issue with more candor.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Deserve entertainment? Really?
You know why don't act naive.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Whether they "deserve entertainment" or not is beside the point. The whole enchilada is; do the put money in the hat and those people are protesting because they believe everything should be free. Why waste time going there.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On 2011-11-17 11:24, Paddy wrote:
Whether they "deserve entertainment" or not is beside the point. The whole enchilada is; do the put money in the hat and those people are protesting because they believe everything should be free. Why waste time going there.

Exactly.

I would zoom out slightly and say deservingness is the key issue in this situation. Those folks have delusional sense of entitlement and believe they deserve to have things handed to them.

Actually they do deserve something. They deserve to have their butts kicked all over their ratty campgrounds! That is all they deserve.

Entertainment is a type of reward. It something people enjoy at the end of a work day or in leisure time on the weekend. Live entertainment is an even more special reward. As street performers we get the privilege of providing people with a particularly unique serendipitous reward because they happen upon us. They thought they were only going for a stroll, and they happen upon a great show!

And they pay us for it because it is valuable entertainment (and if they don't pay you that should be your wake up call).

Occupy bums don't deserve to be rewarded and they don't deserve to be entertained. I just can't let anybody get away with saying that they do. It's no wonder they don't have a unified cause or message, they are lazy, so don't expect a leader spokesperson figure to rise up among them.

They don't deserve entertainment. I can't let you get away with saying that.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think some of them just want some fairness.Remember some of the overpaid bankers will not pay for entertainment.There too mean!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Really Tim? Really Paddy? I guess you guys must have attended some of the Occupy protests in person to have such a solid idea of who these people are.

Here in the Tampa area I have found the gatherings are largely made up of working people of all stripes who have been laid off from their jobs (often after 20 - 30 years) and can't find work that pays more than minimum wage, retired people who suddenly find their nest eggs decimated by the economic collapse, college students with enormous student loan debt and poor employment prospects,etc., etc. The people I have encountered are health care workers, educators, nuns and religious leaders, union workers, ex-military, parents and grandparents who, although they may still have jobs, fear for the future of their offspring, employed and un-employed. In short, a cross section of the American working class who all see a government who does not represent their best interests but only the interests of the corporate powers that pull the strings of government.

I also noticed that the cars passing by seem to support them by a margin of about 99/1. About 99% of the people reacting (if in fact they react at all) with a toot of their horn and a thumbs up and 1% giving them the finger. The people flipping them off usually driving a BMW or a pick-up truck with a Dixie flag or NRA decal.

But I guess it must be different with all the people that you have talked to where you live. (Although, Paddy, I can't believe that is the case in Ohio where you live since I attended several gatherings in Ohio to protest your governors very unpopular bill to eliminate collective bargaining for workers there. A bill which was just overturned by the voters. The people attending those protests were pretty much the same cross section of America I encountered in the Occupy protests. You guys sound like the typical "I've got mine so screw you if you lost your job" crowd that disparages anyone who joins a protest without knowing the first thing about who they are or what they are about.
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
I went past an occupy protest this evening in NYC on my way back from Monday Night Magic.... seemed a rather pleasant and coherent group of people. They certainly didn't seem to be delusional or have an apparent belief in their own entitlement. ... I actually think that they might well be a worthwhile crowd to hat.
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I would suggest reading today's Investing article in Forbes on the subject of the disparity of capital gains tax benefits recipients, entitled "The Top 0.1% Of The Nation Earn Half Of All Capital Gains".
The article reminds us that Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis warned the US nation in the 1930s that "We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1788 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Back on point, no matter what you support are they going to fill your hat.....NO. Let me know if I have been proven wrong.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-11-22 09:32, tboehnlein wrote:
Back on point, no matter what you support are they going to fill your hat.....NO. Let me know if I have been proven wrong.

I'm sayin...somebody out there, give it shot and let us know how it works for ya.

In NY, I'd prefer my regular pitches, but if I get the opportunity I might just try it...
The logistics suck for me as I generally work Mid-town...but who knows...maybe I'll
venture that...

I also thinkg Devious and others have mentioned their experiences in other threads.

Anybody game?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I'll bet you can draw a crowd, but I'll bet you don't make any money. The losers want a free ride from everyone. Good luck.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Hi all,
without wanting to get into a debate on whether my parents are just looking for a free ride, whether my brother is an entitled bum (who works in the private sector), or whether all these rich people should just get a job, we were at protests in Santiago last night (I love the taste of tear gas in the evening), and got out a guitar and a contact ball. Despite them being a collection of privileged Chilean children who think education should be cheap (losers!), they had time for us.

If the Occupy protesters are half as curious, I think it'd be worthwhile to give it a shot
Nick Broad
<BR>Skype: omnigut
<BR>facebook.com/thebuskingproject
<BR>www.thebuskingproject.com
<BR>Email: nick@thebuskingproject.com
Nick Broad
View Profile
New user
London, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Nick Broad
Huh...I guess I should clarify that "we" meant myself and my film crew, not me and my family. I think my parents are a bit past getting tear gassed
Nick Broad
<BR>Skype: omnigut
<BR>facebook.com/thebuskingproject
<BR>www.thebuskingproject.com
<BR>Email: nick@thebuskingproject.com
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
477 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Sounds like you're talking out of your posterior Giz.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
They (the protesters) are mostly a bunch of hypocrites that don't realize they are part of the 1% they are protesting:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/20......-1-.aspx

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
The assumption that everyone's circumstances are identical is so plainly wrong as to be borderline insane, but everyone does it. Pundits and politicians alike mock the unemployed as lazy, even though their own data shows that for every five unemployed people in this country, there is only one open job in this country.