The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Any tips? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
This thread is going to regard leaving tips for street buskers.

Use sunscreen when street busking. Especially when performing in the sun. Sun rays can cause extreme damage to the skin.

If you sweat a lot, you might want to bring at least one additional shirt to your pitch.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Look both ways before you cross the street.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Pour water into a bottle, freeze it overnight and take it with you. Be careful opening the bottle the next day!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Ill give some esoteric ones I've been think about.

don't give people too many options - ie say watch this not please watch this etc
justify everything with a because whenever possible. ie/ watch this.....because you will always remember it - tip me ......because I have to pay the land lord etc - always give a because to keep them involved.

if something goes wrong with props/hecklers etc- consider that the show DOESN'T need to go on. Its not like your in a theater etc - if something big goes wrong - its hard to keep going (and some like to hang around to see the train wreck but not tip) - bring the show to an end - do some close up for those at the front - those who want to stay will stay and start again in a few moments once re composed. Any idiot hecklers etc will leave and you can start afresh- the street is so flexible that you may as well take advantage of it when you need.
some will disagree with this but there is nothing worse than doing your show if its not going well and a fresh start can do wonders - rather than toiling on in difficult conditions for a tiny hat - (its enough to make you want to go home early!) - stop - grab the reigns back and start again.
I did a watch steal (making it obvious to all except him) and the guys (moronic and ever so masculine) wife charged up and grabbed it of me like it was stealing it and she with her keen eyes and mind and caught me in the act.
I carried on but the whole thing made the audience unsettled - in such a situation - stop and reform a few min later -

inform them you'd rather not have anything under a certain £££ level ie/ that a handshake means more than 20p - thus you have informed them of an appropriate level of tipping and if your any good - they will meet that suggested level - also don't under sell yourself if you think your show is worth 3 pounds - don't be modest! say so and most will give you two.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Be wary of people who have no experience giving you advice about busking. I speak as someone who knows.

Oh, by the way, my only busker like experience was when I was doing yo-yo stuff while waiting for a parade. I got a small crowd, but didn't think to pass the hat.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Sunscreen will do you a lot of good when you pass out due to dehydration. Remember to drink lots of WATER, not beer, Kool-Aid, etc. but water to keep your hydration up. And if you stop sweating, your in trouble.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Stay away from dark coloured beverages... coffee, tea, cola's they all tend to be di-uretics and you need more water, not less. Sunscreen & comfy shoes...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Watch the weather, it might be a beautiful day but become windy or storming without much notice b/c your busy performing.
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Wear white at night
Never believe another busker's hat stories...they rank up there with fish
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
So Zoob,

How's come you think all fish are liars?

What do ya got against fishes anyway?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
I believe anything told to me by a fish.
Seems like the right thing to do.
G
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I'm with ya on that one.

Belizeans have a saying, "When fish come from river bottom and tell you alligator has a belly ache, believe him"

I have no earthly clue what they meant when they said that. But I'm pretty sure it means if a fish starts talking to ya, either change your meds or start taking notes.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3535 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-30 08:54, marty.sasaki wrote:
Be wary of people who have no experience giving you advice about busking. I speak as someone who knows.

Oh, by the way, my only busker like experience was when I was doing yo-yo stuff while waiting for a parade. I got a small crowd, but didn't think to pass the hat.

Isn't this post self contradictory? Just sayin' !!!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
rayraysleights
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of rayraysleights
Keep a picture of your kids with you. seriously! when ever you have a kid start shouting out whats comming next like,for example, Melon!!!!!!!! or things like. it s in the other hand. As soon as this behavior starts I walk over to the kid pull out my wallet and show him a picture of my little one. I tell him to look @ the picture. this is what I do for a living and when you yell that stuff I don't make as much money and that is like steeling from my kid which I have a big problem with. That has worked like a charm for me whenever those situations come up. If you don't have kids just put a pic of someone elses kid in your walet. or maybe not that is a little creepy.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I love how most of this is is about being in hot weather - we sure as hell don't have that problem in the UK

and yes gaddy it was! lol
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Two words Gel insoles

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Too true Danny.
Wouldn't go out without them.
G
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Does anyone carry around a chair? It seems like that would be a good idea, to get a rest for a few minutes...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3535 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I like sitting on things that make me look like "part of the environment", so no, I don't.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Shiny and sounding tricks that can lead to attracting more attention.