The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Edinburgh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm in Edinburgh hoping to get some pre-festival busking shows in.

I've never busked here before and I have not seen anyone out and about at the obvious pitches (Royal Mile etc.)

If anyone can suggest where to go I'd greatly appreciate it.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I was coming to the festival but unfortunately my plans have changed. maybe next year. I would highly recommend Jimmy Talksalot's book on street performing. He doesn't teach tricks but shares real time info on how to be a successful busker.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks for the tip Charlie.

I was more looking for streets and pitches in Edinburgh.

Posted: Mar 28, 2009 3:53am
---------------------------------
Anyone?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
You mean to say that you've been there for at least 3 days and you haven't gone out and inspected the streets yourself? You haven't seen any locals playing? There's no obvious streets or squares to work? There's no city hall or police you can ask directly?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Nicholas
Edinburgh out side of the Fringe is crap. I lived their for about six mounths. What you need to do is catch a train to Glasgow 2 way ticket is about 10 all 12pounds get their befor 11am as you come out of the station their is a huge pedestrianased street their where you can claim your pitch for the day on a first come first served basis. don't let any one bully you of your pith. Their is a nice guy their called Pop the Ballon guy a real hard worker with a heart of GOLD say hi from me to him if yu see him.
Mario
PS Edinburgh gets better about 2 all 3 weeks before the Fringe Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks Mario. Worried I wasn't going to get a straight answer!

It's still pretty cold here so I was kind of hoping the slow streets was just a sign because of the weather.

I've heard the festival is going down hill a bit with so many buskers trying to get a pitch and the festival letting way too many people set up...

I'll see what happens!

Thank you Mario and Charlie for your help! Look me up if your ever in Edinburgh or Melbourne.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Cold, I know what you mean, bloody cold. I use to worked Glasgow in Dec through to march. I age maybe 20yrs and slept each night for about 12 to 15 hours just to recover. I use to do an escape where I stripped down to my pink shorts, by that point I was in a sweat, you could see the steam rise of my body, brilliant effect but a high prise to pay. So now I am basking in the sun, Smile
Keep on keeping on.
Mario
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I went and checked out the scene in Glasgow on saturday afternoon. Despite the rain and wind, the streets were packed! Saw about half a dozen buskers...mostly musicians.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Royal Miles the best (and only?) place to be. I saw a magician doing the cups and balls there on Sunday (bald buy, didn't recognise him) Pretty much the place where all the tourists hang out and not as busy as Princes street.

You could always just go into Princes Street gardens and do quick magic for couples sitting down/in the park (then ask them for a donation)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm thinking of heading down to the Mile today (good friday) before heading to Glasgow tomorrow. Good chance to compare the two on busy days.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2009-03-28 11:11, Mario Morris wrote:
Their is a nice guy their called Pop the Ballon guy a real hard worker with a heart of GOLD say hi from me to him if yu see him.
Mario
PS Edinburgh gets better about 2 all 3 weeks before the Fringe Smile

You weren't kidding! Pop just tried to give me a jump start (flat battery) and then gave me a lift home when it wouldn't start.