The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Turf (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Here in SF the weather is getting better, and there are more performers, vagrants and thieves out and about on the wharf looking to separate tourists from their dollars.

Inevitably, this leads to conflicts as we cut each others throats for the same limited number of dollars...

Thursday I had a gang of shoeshine guys breaking into my shows accosting spectators repeatedly. I confronted them, but I gotta tell you, I was nervous! There were four of them, and I knew it could have turned ugly quick. Eventually we made nice and they moved down the block, but it was not pleasant! Also, I'm pretty sure that if there was any real action that day anyhow things would not have been so easy for me.

How do YOU deal with "turf wars"?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Turn you amp up to "11" & set your pepper spray to "stun".

If that doesn't work...aim for the twins. All's fair in love and street fighting Smile
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
780 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Gaddy, it's going to happen especially down at the wharf. Just be firm.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Use Danny Lord's line: "Has anyone seen my snake?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Street cred goes a long way. If they don't respect you, make them fear you. Then they'll respect you anyway. Stand your ground 2 or 3 times and the threats will magically disappear.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 16:28, Chad wrote:
Turn you amp up to "11" & set your pepper spray to "stun".

If that doesn't work...aim for the twins. All's fair in love and street fighting Smile

HAHA! At one point I did something like that. I started asking passers-by if they needed a shine and that my work was the best. Then I started calling out to all the gilpins, telling them all "WHERE THEY GOT THEIR SHOES AT..."

That really peeved the goons off (it seems to be their only gimmick...) and that's when I got a little worried! But again, as I said, eventually we made nice.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Chance told me a story that makes me never want to go down there. But if I do go, I'm taking him with me.

You made nice! That's an art in itself sometimes Gaddy. Good for you.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 23:27, Frank Starsini wrote:
Chance told me a story that makes me never want to go down there. But if I do go, I'm taking him with me.

You made nice! That's an art in itself sometimes Gaddy. Good for you.

Yeah. I actually had a civil conversation with one of the older guys towards the end of the day. What can I say, I'm a people person Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Seriously, if you tell them that you will send your crowds down toward them, they might reciprocate by sending people over to you.

Or not.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I had simarlar happen a number of times, but a Romaian folk band. They tried every time they went pass my show to disrupt me. Each time I treated them as a comon heckerler, Nothing more nothing less. One day they where determund and set up shop on the back of my audiance, I had my audiance in my pocket by then so I simply got them to turn and boo them. After that I started to get smiles of them instead of throungs.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good work Mario!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.