The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Performing name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Many of the well known performers have a street persona, where they call themselves a one name name... like Prince, for example. hahaha

You have Kozmo, Gazzo, JimmyTalksAlot, etc...

For the working pros here, do you feel it is important to develop a name, typically a one word name, rather than use your own normal one?

Any tips on what type of name to use?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Yeah, I am aiming for Zorro.
Mario
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you have a rotten act, you could call yourself "Crappy"!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Hahaha Ok, ok, ok...

I'm being serious... All the greats performed in the persona of a one-name character...

Have any of them expressed a reason, or is it just "custom"?
Mark Reed
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Name Recognition ... I go by 2 names, George Gilbert and The OC Trickster (most people from Maryland remember me as the OC Trickster) because my pitch (Ocean City) is the big tourist attraction in our area ...

"Gazzo" - Easiest name in the world to remember!

A good technique for creating a recognizable name is starting each name with the same consonant... examples: "Pretty Patty" , "Devilish Dave" , "Jittery Joel" ...
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Thanks, George... good info... I figured some level of brand recognition was important in naming...
Mark Reed
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Sorry, Mario...I met Zorro in Berne...of course, I filmed him. Smile
I've seen the women use Miss Taken, Miss Behaving, etc...seemed to work well.
Perhaps, a word-play like the above would work...
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've been thinking of this. I wonder what I'd use? Hmmm....
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Never gave it much thought, really....
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I'm not really sure the name itself matters. It is what you do to get your audience to remember your name. Look at Bill Malone. He gets the his audience to chant his name over and over again, and I guarantee that no one walks away from one of his shows saying, "That magic guy was great." They say, "That Bill Malone was great."
...the magic that creates Memories!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Oh, I agree that the name doesn't create the hat or the enjoyment of the act. But rather curious how some use it to brand themselves vs an ordinary name.

For example - Gazzo, Kozmo, etc...
Mark Reed
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Your name IS important and does matter because it's the name of your product.. If anybody asks me, "Why should I book you when there's other magicians who charge less?"

I'll say, "Because you're not booking some magician... you're booking George Gilbert, and that's one of a kind."

Not being Cocky ... it's the truth!

What Rick is asking is, how do we come up with our names - and why?

The shorter, the better... If you can come up with an original one word name that would ring bells... Use it, it's premium! "Kozmo" and "Gazzo" are short and sweet... easy to remember, which is a great thing. If you can get your name to ring bells - you are on your way... Funny thing is, I'll never forget Kozmo's name because it rhymes with Gazzo. (At least the way I pronounce Gazzo, it does.)

There's not a guy in this world who doesn't know the name "Coca-Cola".

I know magicians who don't put anything on their business card except their name ... no number, no e-mail, just their name, or their website address... and their cards convert into gigs left and right.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Shortly after I got started performing many years ago, I got interested in clowning. I worked as a clown for a long time and, as you probably know, clowns are into coming up with cool, original (or often not so original) clown names. My first clown name was Muddy Puddles. I still sort of like that name. Anyway, over the course of many years, I tried on a lot of names. Finally, as I transitioned into more of a vaudeville style character, I realized that my actual name was pretty funny. And people, especially children, find it memorable for some reason. Maybe just simplicity. I sometimes call myself The Astonishing Mr. Pitts, but I've found that trying to be astonishing all the time is just exhausting. And, The Occasionally Astonishing Mr. Pitts seems too long. So, currently, I am performing as Mr. Pitts (except for my once a year engagement as Professor Pottersfield).
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 18:18, G.Gilbert wrote:
I know magicians who don't put anything on their business card except their name ... no number, no e-mail, just their name, or their website address... and their cards convert into gigs left and right.

I've thought about doing a run of cards like this in ultra, top of the line, high quality cards.

Completely pretentious, but then that's the point!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Truly, I have thought of names. As people have stated, why change a name like Mario?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
If you want to be easily remembered by name, it's a good idea to use a name that's easy to remember.
In my case, my family name is not at all familiar with people of my English-speaking country. It's not easy to read, not easy to pronounce, and harder still to write it down from just hearing it. Try it for yourself. How would you pronounce the name Schwamm, a rare family name even among other German family names? And if you heard the name spoken: "shvom" with short "o", how easy would it be for you to write it down accurately? So, I make it easy for others: I use the stage name "MagiCol" - a play on the word magical, but it incorporates the first part of my first name, COLin. So, MagiCol for easy recognition, easy remembering. But I use it along with my actual name Colin Schwamm.
"Call me what you want, but don't call me late for breakfast!"
The presentation makes the magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Make sure that your name is
1) Easy to pronounce.
2) Easy to remember.
3) Not being used by anybody else.
4) Not dirty or obscene in some odd language.
5) Not "cutesy."

Don't call yourself "the Great Scott." There are at least 6 magicians who are currently using that name. "Mister E" is cliched.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Which name fits me the best?:

Dynamike

or

2 Smooth
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
2 Smooth

Definitely.

:rotf:
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 16:08, The Great Zoobini wrote:
Sorry, Mario...I met Zorro in Berne...of course, I filmed him. Smile
I've seen the women use Miss Taken, Miss Behaving, etc...seemed to work well.
Perhaps, a word-play like the above would work...

"To the gentlemen, I'm Miss Fortune;
To the ladies, I'm Sir Prize."

Voltaire - When You're Evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4gJuwGdBIg
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax