The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Cellini's Devil's Hankerchief (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
I seem to be having trouble keeping the coins (4) from talking when they disappear as well as getting them to grip position to make them appear one at a time.

Ah, nuts, I'm having trouble with whole thing. Can anyone give me some tips (here or in the Secret room) and does anyone know if Cellini's DVD discusses my issues (or what source would)?

-Thanks.
Asmayly.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2002-10-21 02:31, asmayly wrote:
I seem to be having trouble keeping the coins (4) from talking when they disappear as well as getting them to grip position to make them appear one at a time.

Ah, nuts, I'm having trouble with whole thing. Can anyone give me some tips (here or in the Secret room) and does anyone know if Cellini's DVD discusses my issues (or what source would)?

-Thanks.
Asmayly.

This is a tough trick to do because of this reason. I ran into the same problem untill I smoothed the coins. Worn coins talk MUCH less for some reason. I even use worn jumbo coins.

It is a knack you will get if you keep at it. It is a BRILLIANT effect. Hang in there you'll get it!

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
well heres the deal,
we are shooting a video on this subject I beleive in january...that will answer all your questions

kozmo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I can't remember how jim did it but I also think it helps if you don't try to 'snap' the handkerchief open to show the coins gone. I think you can do it smoothly and a bit slower. I think I was going to fast when I first tried it.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
I seem to have it so they don't talk as much (I use 4 half dollars) and I think it's because I'm doing it slower (it's weird how the trick changes as you do it more often).

But I still seem to have trouble understanding how to grip the coins, slide them to a corner of the hankerchief, unseen and causal, and without any noise.

When Jim did it in lecture I remember he asked if anyone had questions and out of 50 people nobody asked a single one.
--He made it look so effortless!

Asmayly
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
everything is effortless with him...everything
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
What video has this routine?

I've been looking for his book (i.e. Royal Touch), but I will take the video as my quest for the book
continues.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3531 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2002-10-22 13:43, Kozmo wrote:
everything is effortless with him...everything
No kidding! I've been trying to learn his Devil's hank with the Himber Vanishs of the silver dollars and the Jack Channin productions of the Boulle balls and extra jumbo coins. After watching the vid on it I thought to myself, "what a great routine, and it shouldn't be too hard to learn..."

No.

It's not easy at all, it's just that Cellini made it seem effortless. Such a sweet routine, though. The effort will be worth it in the long run.

PS- I believe that bit the OP is talking about is on the "Magic You Can Do Anywhere" DVD.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I have "re-done" this trick with a different ending if, what you are referring to, is the Fred Knapps routine that Cellini adopted. He said that you could use any coins, even pocket change, however I use Eisenhower dollars and produce them from an an empty hat after the vanish...to each their own.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I personally like the visible, one by one return to handkerchief.

I use Soft Morgan Silver dollars and it works like a dream.

The coins are soft enough not to talk, and yet big enough that they are easy to handle when they "return".

For me, the hardest thing was finding the right silk to use. I got one from a friend about five years ago, before he passed away, and it is now wearing out. So now I will have to find anohter. But in addition to finding the right size, you need to find one that has the right feel. The fabric cant be too stiff. But it doesn't have to be silk, it can be a rayon or other synthetic fabric will work.

I am sure Kozmo's new vidoe will give you a lot more info. I got my info from a Cellini Lecture, and his "Magic anyone can do" dvd. This DVD is worth several times the price as it has ball, loop ball, coins, etc, etc.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Slightly (or more) off topic but another good dvd for work on the loop ball is Jeff McBride's "Manip. without tears"
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
347 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Kozmo, which video did you discuss this on?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Magic that can be performed anywhere