The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: School of Busking and your hosts Gazzo & Mario (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok, I'm going to get flamed for this one for sure.

While I agree that if you truly want to do something you should get off you backside and do it. There are extenuating circumstances that can prevent anyone from doing anything.

Case in; point running off to Europe for Busking School. I consider myself a Street Performer, when the weather is nice I am out and having fun doing my show. Yeah I only do it on weekends, and I don’t really travel yet... Yeah I am a weekend warrior ...so what

I have a wife and 3 young children, that I happen to like spending time with, as well as a regular job that pays the bills and allows me time to pursue my dream.

So am I a punter for asking some of the greats to share their knowledge and talent with us here in the states?

I’d love to drop everything and go to Busking School, but I guess my priorities are a little out of wack.

Sorry for venting but I am sick and tired of the whole oh stop being such a sissy and just go crap.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

PS:

Mario sorry this ended up on your thread but I hope that you can and do make it to the East Coast with your School. If so I will be there....

Good Luck and please let us know how it works out
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
John
My hat is off to you, respect. Speaking for my self I don't consider my self as one of the greats. A experianced street performer yes, a real worker yes, a master of what I know perhaps but one of the greats, well each to their own.

As for you keeping priorities in cheuqe, my hat is of to you.
Mario
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Mario,

Thanks allot. It means allot when a Pro actually understands when someone just can't pack up and go to it.

Believe me, I'd love to attend your School and think that anyone who can should, but those who can't shouldn't get hammered for other responsibilities.

Here is hoping that with your Schools success in Europe you’ll head on over to the States
{East Coast} and give us poor weekend warriors a shot.

In the mean time, keep up the great work

John
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
OK, ok can we get back on the subject now, whos else is coming?
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
John their was a post befor my last post that has been removed, so my post does not makes any sense
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 06:21, Mario Morris wrote:
OK, ok can we get back on the subject now, whos else is coming?
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Just to let you know the School of busking is filling up fast. Their are only 20 places and we are more than half full.
Mario
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
JohntheMagician,

I have responded to you {sorry so late} on my "if you wanna learn how to be a busker" thread.

I think you and mario are absolutely right keeping this thread on topic, but I do feel you brought up a good point.

if you have time please please read my responce.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Just had my registration documents sent through, IM IN!!

Cant wait for this one, Mario when all the places are booked can we set up a facebook group for all persons entering so we can all get to know each other prior to the course!

Really going to be great!!

Ash
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
That's a great idear, I will look into that, very hip.
Mario
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-02 15:45, JohntheMagician wrote:
Ok, I'm going to get flamed for this one for sure.

<stuff snipped for space>

No flame from me. You said what I was thinking, far better than I could.

I'm never going to be more than a middle-aged part timer (at least until I become an old part timer) but I'm trying to be the best part timer I can be. Sadly, that does not afford being able to quit my job, leave my family and jet off to England to take a class. If the class were held in Boston, I might not be able to go! I certainly can't get to England. My best wishes to Mario and Gazzo for their efforts and to those who are able to make it there!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Ed,

I am gonna try and answer this and stay on topic;

I am not sure if your are happy with your life style in regards to your career what ever it may be, frankly your post depressed me a little.

no offence I'm sure you love your present career life style and have chose it as the one you want to live.

and this part time thing could be very exciting for you and you have a real job instead that is really what you were born for doing instead of entertaining people.

I also have a family and I am also against staying away from them for long periods of time.

no one suggests that anyone go there for long lengths of time. that would be hard on a family.

this is a trade school.

my post was most directed twards people who felt that their lifes work is performing and not, lets say, accounting or selling cars or any other various and honorable professions.

if this was a class to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher.

would I be reading posts like this one?

no one suggests that anyone go there for long lengths of time.

air fare could be as low as @$400 round trip;

airtech.com

that's who I use.

if this still seems too expencive maybe you should seriously think about busking instead of a "real job" {unless of course it is your lifes work} because this air line company makes a lot of money off buskers, so they must be making enough to pay.

and with our technology the way it is now you can fly in an air plane in a matter of hours to europe. so this trip wont take years away from your family. we've come a long way since columbus.

maybe only a matter of days or weeks if you wanted.

the big thing to rememeber is that one is going there to start a career....AND WILL BE MAKING MONEY WHILE THERE.

THIS IS ABOUT LEARNING HOW TO MAKE MONEY AND GET BETTER AT WHAT YOU DO.

the only thing that makes an entertainer better is stage time and wouldn't it be wise to get payed for that time?

BUT ONCE AGAIN IF YOUR LIFES DREAM WAS TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THEN ENTERTAIN PEOPLE, PLEASE DISREGARD THIS.

great post ed.

and join the club I'm in my 40's

infact I know quite a few guys WHO GOT STARTED AT MIDDLE AGE.

I have also responded on the "if you wanna learn how to be a busker" thread.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I have taught 3 people personally over 55 who now busk full time.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

With all that said,

yeh going all the way to europe is scary especially tyring to rely strickly on your skills as a street performer.

but I assure the reader street performing is a lot easier in europe then the a lot of places in the states.

and frankly sometimes you just have to take a chance at some thing you believe in {if you believe in it} if you wanna make a dream come true.

good luck and all the best your pal jimmy
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3788 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 22:18, jimmy talksalot wrote:
I have taught 3 people personally over 55 who now busk full time.

That's encouraging, there's hope for me yet.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 22:03, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Ed,

I am gonna try and answer this and stay on topic;

You did a good job. No, I don't like what I do for a living, but I don't believe full-time busking is going to be practical for me. I don't believe my skill level is where yours is and I don't believe my environment is as conducive to making full time money as yours is.

$400.00 IS a lot of money. If I could be assured of making that kind of money busking, would I really need a three-day busking course?

You remind me a little of Harlan Ellison, who, massive talent that he is, could never understand that not everyone can be Harlan Ellison!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
This is all getting way out of touch with reality...and with the true benefit of this course. I've been staying out of this thread because all the whining is so pitiful that I can't stand the thought of entering into this debate with such uninsightful...uhhh...buskers?

But, let's get a couple of things STRAIGHT.

1. If you're a full time job kinda guy that street performs on the weekend and has a wife & kids and house payment and 2 car payments, then you can still go to Cardiff & take this class. Unless you are a no-talent, online chat forum, wanna-be busker who does this as a HOBBY and really only just talks about doing it, took 400 photos the one day in your life you actually got out there, and are too scared to ever face the pitch again. Then, yeah. I'm sure your wife won't understand...and you won't be allowed to go.

However, if you make serious money as a payed performer (gigs & contracts) and/or street performer (tips) then your wife knows that you WILL recoup this money pretty quick AND...since you ARE working a full time job AND performing ALL THE TIME on the WEEKENDS...then you deserve to take a break and advance your SECOND JOB.

Which brings me to point 2.

Captain Street Gawd's point.

If you make $400 a day street performing, should you go to Cardiff? Well holy jebus jumped up Christmas cakes on a cross...why wouldn't you want to go to Europe, have a pitch waiting for you, with a couple of full time workers that are gonna help you improve your show? You'd have to be a moron of the highest order to question this.

All this whining by part time guys is really whining by wanna-bes...let's make a CLEAR distinction here.

I just did my taxes. Lemme tell ya folks. Some of us part-timers are NOT pulling in $15 hats with big grins on our faces. Some of us are making real money...and want to get better all the same.

There is ONE joint on the Magic Café to talk about Street Performing. So let's talk about that, and not excuses about why you CAN'T do this, or CAN'T justify that.

If you can't, than keep it to yourself, and keep the topic unclutered for people who can and do work. You should be a lurker....not a member of the inner circle for posting tripe in the STREET PERFORMERS section.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 04:20, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
Just had my registration documents sent through, IM IN!!

Cant wait for this one, Mario when all the places are booked can we set up a facebook group for all persons entering so we can all get to know each other prior to the course!

Really going to be great!!

Ash

Ash,

I started one...just to get the ball rolling on it. I sent an invite to Mario & Gazzo over there. Once they sign up and take over as moderators of the group, then we'll be all set.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Great news my friend, I take it you re in!! Look forward to meeting you!!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 11:23, Chad wrote:
This is all getting way out of touch with reality...and with the true benefit of this course. I've been staying out of this thread because all the whining is so pitiful that I can't stand the thought of entering into this debate with such uninsightful...uhhh...buskers?

But, let's get a couple of things STRAIGHT.

<edit for brevity>

Tell us how you really feel. Smile
OK I'll be quiet now.

Bill