The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Performing name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Isn't there someone out there who bills himself as "Just Alan"?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Words that have a lot of "soft consonants," such as soft g's, l's, and m's are generally speaking, bland. Words that crackle, (such as crackle) are more exciting.

Peter the Adequate has been using "the Adequate" as his tag for at least 30 years. He is now appearing somewhere in Vegas.

Miss Demeanor, Miss Steak, Miss Deal are all very cutesy, but not really great names.

Bowser/Bowzer are probably trademarked. You can check these out by going to http://www.uspto.gov and looking them up.

Try for something with spark in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2009-04-10 23:23, ed rhodes wrote:
Isn't there someone out there who bills himself as "Just Alan"?

Yes there is... he has amazing stage presence and is well known for his version of "Sands of the Desert."

http://www.justalan.com/
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-01-22 14:27, mmreed wrote:
Bowzer reminds me of the old group Sha Na Na. You might loose some recongition there.

Names are tough. Im banging my head over it....

Pretty soon Im just gonna go with Mr. Nobody

"Cellophane, Mr. Cellophane
should'a been my name, Mr. Cellophane.
Cause you can look right through me,
walk right by me. And never know I'm there.

Well... maybe that wouldn't be the best choice!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-04-07 16:40, JustinVisible wrote:
I stumbled across this thread and found the insight and thought behind a name very useful. Not just for buskers but for all performers in this industry. What sets you apart from the rest?? What will cause people to remember you?? I came about my name based on a childhood of name jokes. My true first name is Justin. Growing up, I heard "Just In Time", "Just In Case", etc... Then I got a bit older and you start to see names that are creative. Hence, my stage name or professional name Justin Visible (which is copywrited HAHAHA and an llc - my first name and something magical).

If you want to protect your name, a copyright (note spelling) is not going to do you a bit of good. You need to trademark it. The requirements are simple, and you can do it in a matter of a couple of hours. It will cost you $320.00, but it's darn well worth it.

It's a clever name and definitely worth protecting.

One of the big mistakes I made by playing an historical character was that I could not protect the name other than by filing a DBA in my local county. A federal trademark has some teeth in it.

You don't need an attorney to do this. Just go to http://www.uspto.gov and follow the links. BTW, you will need to furnish a graphical representation of how you use the mark. So, if you use it on a business card, for example, a sample of it in the typeface you use will usually be sufficient.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com