The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: Help needed from experienced magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
I have a whole stack of ideas which have been kicking around for a while.
I need some help from you guys out there, I need somebody to take a look at the routines/effects I have come up with to get some opinions. I have had encouraging feedback from a couple of members including Jonathan Townsend. Steve Brooks is looking into a couple of effects for me as well.
All would have to be done in strictest confidence.
Anyone interested - PM me or leave a reply.
Thanks
David
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Hi Dg,

I started marketing effects myself about 5 months ago and I know it can be hard to get started.

If you are looking for some honest feedback then get in touch and I would be happy to help.

All the best Smile
Matthew Johnson.
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
Thanks Martin if I need some more help I'll let you know.
David
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
David...we are all always looking for new ideas. As you know the magic business is very competitive and we have to stay one step ahead of the rest. Although we have a strong tradition in the classics we feel new ideas are our bread and butter. Please be assured that we would look at your effects and not "steal' them and give you our honest opinion if they are marketable. We have over 45 years combined experience in making magic here in Colon and these folks have wonderful imaginations. So, if you are interested you can e mail me privately at rileysshop@fabmagic.com or check us out online at http://www.fabmagic.com - thanks Rick Fisher, president FAB Magic Co., Inc.
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Rick,

I appreciate reading your comments here since you are "in the business" and have the experience to speak to these matters.

I'm curious if you have any thoughts on the thread that I started on "When Does A Trick Become 'Public Domain'"?

see:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......59&0

My question is related to bringing out improved/updated versions of older tricks. With certain tricks it is clear that they belong to 'public domain'; for instance, the Square Circle production prop. If I come up with a new design of the Square Circle then I can build it and sell it with no problem. What about other tricks from, say, the last 20 to 30 years? A real example:
At what point did the Crystal Silk Cylinder or Spikes Thru Balloon cease to be the exclusives of MAK (U.F. Grant) Magic Co. to the point where there are now multiple versions of these two standard effects being made by different manufacturers.
Or how abut the Zombie floating ball, which at one time seemed to be an exclusive to Abbott's, but now it's available from many sources. Because most magic is not copyrighted or patented this is not so much a legal issue as an ethical issue. At what point in time is it considered "good form" for another manufacturer to introduce their own improved or redesigned version of an old standard that was at one time considered to be an exclusive? 10 years? 20 years? 30?
dg
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of dg
Dai
You're probably better off emailing him as he will not get notification of your post.
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
471 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Good questions.....for example the Zombie Ball was patented by Joe Karson and then turned over to Abbott's but they no longer own the rights to it. I checked online with the copyright/patent office and the patent fees haven't been paid on it in over three decades...yes, you could buy the patent but why? It doesn't make good sense now- as far as public domain - i.e. Crystal Silk Cylinder - MAK makes one, and I know of Ickle Pickle's version and othes - because we are such a small industry in comparison to other products it is difficult to recoup the money spent on a patent. I am assuming that is why you just don't see them on magic items...very few at best. You have to research the item and find out who originally made it and if they no longer manufacture it and it has not been seen in many, many years then I think it is a all right to make something similiar but NOT rename it the same as before. Find ways to improve it and then make it your exclusive idea...there will always be someone who wants to take the low road and copy it...you take the high road - redesign it and make it better..no one will fault you for that. Hope this helps and I am sure there are others who will disagree with this point of view but that is the way I see it. Rick Fisher, FAB Magic.com
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com