The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: Ethical helps (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I have a big question. I need to know if it is right or wrong to do something like this. If someone makes the best general prop or gaff, not necessarily trick, is it wrong to make one similar if you know you can get it out at a better price. For example (this is JUST an example) if someone made the absolute best cups but they charged way too much and he made them at his own pace leaving the magic world constantly on hold, would it be wrong for me to make something very similar for a more reasonable price and readily available.

The idea itself is age old, but everyone is waiting, waiting, waiting or they can't afford it.

Any advice would help.

FC
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
It depends on what you want to market. A set of cups and balls would be fine. There are many who put them out, as long as they are not an exact copy of a marketed set.

There is another issue that is really unethical. Let us say there is an effect, a floating card. You buy it and decide you can manufacture the gimmick at a cheaper price. You procede to do so and sell it. That is a no no. Is it done, yes. Is it right, no. Hope this helps.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Yes, that does help. But I really wish there was a cut and dry answer. It is more of a prop and a means to an effect. I suppose I will go to the maker himself and present it to him.

FC