The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: The Color of Mystery (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested purchasing the "Color of Mystery" by Scott Alexander. I want to use it for close-up and stage, but from the video and product description. I can't figure out what size silks he is using or included in the effect. My guess is 9in or 12in, but I would like to know for sure before purchasing it.

I know some color change silk effects use really small silks and it would not play well on stage. That's the reason I'm asking.

Any insights from those who have purchased this effect would be very helpful.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorry, exposing such things is not permitted on the Café. Looks like he sells various size silks. Just go to his website and "BUY" the props and silks.

As a professor, do you give the students the answers to the test questions.
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Don't be ridiculous, he just wants to know what size silks the effect uses.

Merodach, based on the video performance on his website,
I'd say those are nine inch silks. If they were twelve inch silks when he holds the stretched out string his arm span would be close to seven feet based on math (yay, Pythagorean theorum!).

If you're really concerned, I'd just email Scott Alexander though it's sold as a stage routine so I imagine visibility isn't a problem.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
I apologize Bill, I didn't realize I was asking a method question.

On a side note, while I don't provide answers to exam questions, I do provide constructive guidance in a non-exam situation. Comparing an exam to a effect is a bit of a false analogy.

I also appreaciate the feedback Frank, that's what I was thinking as well, I'll reachout to Mr. Alexander regarding the effect.

Thanks for everyone's feedback Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3088 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It uses 9 inch silks. I have the routine
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Thanks so much for the information Xcath1 Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am sorry I think 9" silks are too small. My rule of thumb is that silks always look one size smaller than they are when used. I would figure out a larger gimmick so I could use bigger silks.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Merodach
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of Merodach
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the suggestion as well. I agree, nine inch silks are on the small side for stage work. I'll definitely think about ways to use larger silks with the effect Smile