The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Silks off hanger (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
231 Posts

Profile of funemagic
I'd like to add the silks off hanger to my birthday party show. I bought one and practiced with it for a day and it was so cheaply made it never really worked right. The hanger itself was so cheap that it barely held together just from the little bit of use. I had to tape it back together and parts kept falling off. Is there a place to buy one that is well made and will stand up to repeated uses and many shows? I've seen an effect I think at Hank Lees that used the silks and a wooden bar for the same effect of silks falling off one at a time but now I can't find it. All the silks off hanger I find for sale are around $20.00 so I'm assuming they are all the same thing. I'd gladly pay more for a quality prop. Any ideas?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Boy I've never seen a good silks on hanger, I bought mine years ago when I was up at the Abbott's store and though I did not have the same problem you had my problem came from the gimmicks sliding too far in and not being able to get it back out the hole.

The other one you speak of is Hypno Silks which you can get from Lee for $24 Hypno Silks
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is a Rice's Silk King Studio trick, 'Obedient Silks' that has the same effect as the hanger. You may be interested in this none gimmick effect.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Obedient%20Silks.htm
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
231 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Thanks everyone for your idea's. I will take a peak at both items. I remember seeing the silks off ribbon effect published in a book someplace. Maybe Tarbell? I'll need to go back and look.

Thanks again,
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 10:40, funemagic wrote:
Thanks everyone for your idea's. I will take a peak at both items. I remember seeing the silks off ribbon effect published in a book someplace. Maybe Tarbell? I'll need to go back and look.

Thanks again,

Check out "Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic" (Vol. 2, p. 660 - Uncanny Hanks). It will give you the description you need.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Yes, silks off tape/ribbon is in Tarbell...I want to make it but it calls for what is/was known as "darning" needles. The ones needed look like a large sewing needle but with a ball at the end instead of the traditional point...I cant find these...anyone have a suggestion? I was hoping to save some money making this item myself..on a very tight budget here.
nike
View Profile
New user
ri
50 Posts

Profile of nike
Funmagic

I believe I have the one from Hank Lee that you mentioned.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-05-25 13:13, mdspark wrote:
Yes, silks off tape/ribbon is in Tarbell...I want to make it but it calls for what is/was known as "darning" needles. The ones needed look like a large sewing needle but with a ball at the end instead of the traditional point...I cant find these...anyone have a suggestion? I was hoping to save some money making this item myself..on a very tight budget here.

I have one made by Ron London - works well but uses just three silks. I tie ribbons to mine, instead of silks, because they tend not to drift far if there is a breeze. The needles used are just sewing needles with the tips dulled.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Thank you Alan. Is the one by Ron London still sold anywhere?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2004-06-11 17:39, mdspark wrote:
Thank you Alan. Is the one by Ron London still sold anywhere?

I don't know if he still sells them. I bought mine from Ron London, during one of his lectures. He still lectures and there's a write-up of one of his lectures in The Linking Ring. The prop is easy to make, just takes a little time.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Regarding darning needles, they should not be hard to find. It is used for darning socks, that sort of thing. I am sure that you can get one at any weaving supply store, likely a JOAnnes' Fabric. If that does not work, just put it in a search engine and get it mail order. Still a common item.
quack
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I've just bought obedient silks over here in the UK for under $10. It is gimmicked like the hanger and the pole. I have a pole but it's snapped in half. It was pretty big anyway so I like obedient silks as you can fold it up.
Matt