The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Can anyone custom make Color Changing Streamer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
My interest is to have Color Changing Streamer custom made with colorful flowers as the designs. The ordinary way is good, but I want to show a different design to magicians.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Color-Changing-Streamer-P1236.htm I can have it dyed/airbrushed myself. Can anyone make it with 100% white silk?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I can make it but it is hard to make the silk opaque enough to hide the inner silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Unfortunately this is one of those "silk" tricks that is seldom made from real silk!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Point well taken Bob. And it does not have to be made with silk. But hiding colors inside of anything white is a challenge.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Consider having the streamer change from green leaves (foliage with different shades of green leaves "busy" enough to distract the eye) to the same green leaf background covered with colorful painted flowers. A little more work if you are doing the dying and airbrushing yourself, but this might solve the problem for you.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2013-11-10 20:51, hugmagic wrote:
Point well taken Bob. And it does not have to be made with silk. But hiding colors inside of anything white is a challenge.

Richard

I certainly agree. As a dove worker, when using white silks I depend on distance from the silk, but that won't work here. They touch.

White is a special problem.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Will airbrushing a silk go well?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike you can certainly air brush silk. If you can find one of those good air brush kids, you can get very good work.

If you are still considering this for the Color Changing Streamer, you can find how to videos on YouTube creating dyed silks using permanent markers and then having them bleed using alcohol to create a tie dyed look just like the streamers on the market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ6qAUc3BkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJi-F5jj47g
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never knew the colors could be colored in that manner. Thank you.

Happy New Year everyone.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Need the blank silk scarves?

Take a look at these:
http://www.dharmatrading.com/scarves/sil......ils.html

A little reminder, The late great Ade Duval learned to dye his own silks for his giant silk production act. In the summer, the down time because of the heat, he would dye new silk for his act.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you very much for the info.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
There is a classic anecdote about Ade Duval that might be of interest...

It was in the later days of vaudeville, wnen vaude had become a 'grind'. Ade was in some London theatre, and had just finished the third show of the day. The dressing room was in the basement, with a window opening on stage door alley. Several exit doors from the house opened on the alley.

Ade, True,and assistant were in the dressing room reloading the silks for the next show. Through the window, they heard a couple walking up the alley. One of them said to the other: "What act did you like?--I liked that dog act." The other person responded: "Not me! I liked that bloke with them rags!"

Ah! Show Business!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Great story!
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Richard, could you make a white to black scarf?
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
To be honest, I doubt that it would work very well. It is very hard to hide the black inside the white scarf. Realize that the interior scarf would probably show through.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Thanks, Richard.
If it was done the other way round, black to white (the white would only be in display for a couple of seconds), would that be better?

If you are prepared to try, I am prepared to pay in advance, with no comeback if I am less than pleased. I'm just not that sort of person.

You are welcome to PM me.

Many thanks,
Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
When I finished the 1st phase to my show Richard, I will contact you too about giving it a try.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure if you go to a good fabric store you will find black lining material that could be used for the Color Changing streamer. There is lining material that is opaque that handles just like fine silk. We use to have a very high quality store in our city, they only sold the most expensive sewing machines from Germany and the finest imported materials. I am sure in a city like Detroit, you should not have any problem getting a CC Scarf made. I bet you have a store and a high quality fabric store in Detroit. Any of these places should also be able to sew one together for you. Flowered material should be easily available in a fine material.
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Due to the improvements in digital printing it is now possible to print on Habotai silk. I found a supplier in Germany and had some silks and streamers printed on demand. The result is awesome. I got exactly the designs and sizes I wanted. Of course I had to supply the data for the designs.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tim Sonefelt has been printing on silk for years. It is only the thicker silk though.

The original posts concerning the hiding of the interior designs with a white silk is still valid.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com