The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Dukes Dye-Version ?? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
REV BILL
View Profile
Special user
Glen Burnie Maryland
731 Posts

Profile of REV BILL
Has anyone ever used a silk cabby for a Dukes Dye-Version type effect? How did it play?
Specializing in Family Entertainment,Gospel,Comedy and Educational programs for over 30 years.(Order of Merlin)
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
No.

I don't understand.....why you would want to use a silk cabby with this trick?
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I think the paper tube helps add to the mystery of the trick.
The silk cabby (even though I use one in my shows) is still a magic "prop" and is not as innocent as a rolled up paper.
Just my thought in the matter.
Hoping everyone has a healthy, happy an prosperous New Year!
Jef
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Sure you could use a silk cabby or a change bag but you are losing the simplicity of the effect. Also, you can have a message printed on the inside of the paper when it is rolled up.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
REV Bill:

Per Richard's and Jeff's posts above, the heart of this effect is based upon using a simple tube of paper.......

I would never change this, but then, I've had the privilege of seeing Duke do this on stage many times so it's burned in my memory as such.

In my opinion, the paper tube, the 25 foot streamer, and the "message" make this trick unique, and a "worker".

Also, In my opinion, this trick is "THE Sleeper" of The Abbott Magic Company.......and I think that's saying a lot!

It is, quite literally, the "Packs Small Plays Big" Poster Child of Magic.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Because of it's appearance, the Silk Cabby is either a bird house (and should be decorated to look like one), or a box with two holes in its sides, through which a long ribbon or rope should be inserted so the ends can be held by two spectators. In the latter case, after closing the box around the ribbon or rope, you vanish several silks which are then found knotted on the center of the ribbon or rope when you pull it out of the cabby. In the former case, a bird should be involved, since it is so obviously a bird house, either to appear or vanish or to transform a silk with an image of a bird into a plain silk and a live bird, etc.

I can see doing Dye-Version if modifications are made to the Cabby, but otherwise it would be not as effective as performing Duke Stern's or Spellbinder's (Wiz J #17) or even Qua-Fiki's (Wiz J #23) variations, all of which use a paper tube. However, having made the proper modifications, I could see using a Cabby in a way similar to the silks on ribbon effect: Tuck a (for example) red silk and a blue silk from the inside through the holes and have a spectator pull them out from the side holes. Nothing happens, so you try it again, stuffing the silks back into the holes from the outside. That seems to make the silks vanish when you open the Cabby to look for them. Close up the Cabby and reach inside the holes and seem to get the red silk and the blue silk again, but from the opposite holes. Hand the silk ends to spectators and have them pull on the silks and what they thought were red and blue silks are the red and blue end of a rainbow streamer that runs through the box. When pulled taut, the Cabby doors would open and you would see the streamer running through the holes and no sign of silks. You would then remove the streamer from the empty Cabby by pulling it out the center. If it's worth taking apart your Cabby to make those modifications, then it might be worth a try.

But the initial question contains a concern for how it will "play." How any magic trick "plays" is dependent on your skills in showmanship. A good showman could "make it play" with a long strand of toilet paper running through the Cabby or paper tube. The question should really be: How well can YOU make it play?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You said it Rainbo! Duke's DYE VERSION is a real sleeper. If Greg would demo it more, I think he would sell more.

It meets 7 of my 9 criteria for tricks that I use.--And. the two that it misses, aren't missed by much!

And, I did use it, years ago. (Until Jeff Helding "made" me sell the props to him. Then he used it to close HIS school show! I didn't want to conflict so I didn't make a new one for myself.

I had A P P L A U S E on the inside of the tube (like a TV studio audience cue sign). I had the tube made up of a long piece of contact paper, doubled, so I could use it all season. My local sign painter did a "spectacular" job with the APPLAUSE.

Jeff would kill the paper tube (while holding the streamer bunched up in other hand) and steal a prop skunk (like Blackstone stole the flower load bag).

Hey...I'm talking myself into reincarnating it!

Order of Merlin Excelsior (!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Dick, you have some GREAT stories here on the Café. Thanks for sharing.

John
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
John Martin:

You got that right!

Dick has A ZILLION great stories as well as inside tips and anecdotes about his life in Magic and the magicians he has known.....and they are terrific!

When Dick Oslund speaks....I LISTEN!
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Jonty
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

It meets 7 of my 9 criteria for tricks that I use.--And. the two that it misses, aren't missed by much!

Dick, care to share your 9 criteria for us 'newbies' to the forum?
Jonty the Magician
Children's Entertainer in West Yorkshire

www.magicadabra.co.uk
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2014, Jonty wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

Dick, care to share your 9 criteria for us 'newbies' to the forum?

I'd like to hear it also

David
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ouch! Stop twisting my arm!

Well, Ok, but, Youse'll hafta buy my book when it comes out! --I apend a "whole bunch" of pages on criteria in the book (which is tentatively titled: "EVERY THING I OWN HAS WHEELS UNDERNEATH, OR A HANDLE ON TOP".

I'll be a nice guy (Ha! now, there's a statement, just waiting for someone to pounce on)and write down the "THE NINE IMPORTANT THINGS" which have been my guide in selecting effects (and props) for more years than I care to count.

You need to understand that, although,like many guys in the business, I accepted almost any work that I felt I could handle, there were some that I never felt comfortable with. (Oops! just did a "Charlie Miller"--ended a sentence with a preposition!) OK, very few of us (well, Fred Kaps would be an exception)can "do it all".

Most of my early experience, seeing performers, and performing, involved school assemblies. Vaudeville had succumbed as I was growing upl I never said it had died as that would have hurt the feelings of friends like DORNY. The same was happening with "tent rep shows", and also with club dates. (The "small screen" --TV-- had even threatened motion pictures.) The big illusion shows, like BLACKSTONE, were in trouble. So, I produced a program (Lyceum performers presented "programs", not "shows")that kept me working steadily, all my life.

School assemblies, like K-Mart and then, Wal Mart,were (in carnie language) "fast turn-low nut" show business. School Assembly "bureaus" (the descendants of Chautauqua managers) had sprung up, and offered 35 week tours! (When Chautaqua finally folded its tented theatres, there was a lot of experienced talent "available", and desiring work. The assembly bureaus offered it.

For the assembly business to work, a performer, had to be able to present an average of 13 programs per week, in 13 different schools! (Driving perhaps a hundred miles per day.) So, it was necessary to produce a program that could meet some fairly strict criteria. I did.

Here,then,are the NINE IMPORTANT THINGS: (I'm just giving you the the titles of the "sub chapters" in the book. It would take a few thousand words to explain them,and we don't have that much space here.)

A magician, must be able to present a 45 minutes program that appeals to Kindergarten through Senior Hign School students. I decided that in order to do that

#1, The EFFECT must be VISUAL.
#2. The PROP must be VISIBLE.
#3. The EFFECT & PROP must be VERSATILE.
#4. The PROP must be angle proof.
#5. The PROP should be "recognizable".
#6. The PROP should require little, or preferably, no set up.
#7. The PROP muat not require a table, or "working surface".
#8. The EFFECT should be "spot adaptable".
#9. The PROP must pack small & light, and the EFFECT must play big.

#10.The whole show should be WIND PROOF!!! (Many California schools are presented in outdoor amphitheatres, or platforms on playgrounds.)

Do you still want to get into show business?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Dick,

Thanks for sharing that list! I love reading your posts and stories about your life as a magician. Do you have an idea as to when your book will be released?
Mister Mystery
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Jonty
Wow! I wish I'd never asked! No, I'm glad I did, thank you for sharing that Dick. It'll make me look at my props in a completely different way now. You can't beat the voice of experience! And I'd certainly like the chance to present my show in sunny California, wind or no wind!
Jonty the Magician

www.magicadabra.co.uk
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Ever since reading David Ginn's book 'Professional Magic For Children', I have been meaning to add Duke's DyeVersion to my repertoire.

I've seen David do it live and it plays big and strong.
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Jonty
To be honest, until reading this post and watching a video clip of it, I hadn't heard of this effect. It looks very magical and I love the way you can put your own message inside for the ending. Is it only available through Abbotts?
Jonty the Magician

www.magicadabra.co.uk
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
There are several "Do-It-Yourself" versions at The Magic Nook: Spellbinder's Dye-Version Version in The Wizards' Journal #17, Qua-Fiki's "In THEIR Hands Dye-Version" in The Wizards' Journal #23, and finally, The "Mongolian Silk Mystery" from the Mini-Mysteries Book 2 has a Dye-version variation. Madhatter Magic Shop still has a special deal with silks and streamers for Spellbinder's version (which will also work with the other versions).
Jonty
View Profile
Regular user
England, UK
168 Posts

Profile of Jonty
Thanks Jim. Does anyone know if it's available in the UK?
Jonty the Magician

www.magicadabra.co.uk
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I highly endorse the replacement streamers 12" x 24' from Richard Hughes. I have bought three: two in a 6 momme weight and one at 8 momme. They are all substantial, beautifully dyed...and well made.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2014, JNeal wrote:
I highly endorse the replacement streamers 12" x 24' from Richard Hughes. I have bought three: two in a 6 momme weight and one at 8 momme. They are all substantial, beautifully dyed...and well made.

I second this
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."