The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Mini Silk Cabby and Frame (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
I am looking at getting the Mini Silk Cabby and Frame, but I can't seem to find any videos on how exactly it is performed. Before I actually purchase it I was hoping to see it used in a performance on video. I did see a video of the "AUTOMATIC SILK FRAME", where the tied silks start out in the frame, disapear using the Silk Cbby, and then reappear tied again to the same pole in the Silk Frame. Would this be how the frame works in the Mini Silk Cabby and Frame set? Thanks for any answers....
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I've been seeing this puzzling reference tying the Silk Cabby to some kind of Frame which, from inference, I guess is a 20th Century Silk Frame of some kind. I am puzzled by the interest in this, because to me it seems like a waste of a Silk Cabby to use it for vanishing silks and then have them reappear in some mechanical frame. You may not realize that you can use the Silk Cabby alone to perform a 20th century effect, by tucking in two ungimmicked silks (say red and blue) and leaving the ends sticking out of the sides of the Silk Cabby. Then vanish a (for example) ungimmicked rainbow silk, but use a sleight of hand or a gimmick vanish (If you need help finding one, you'll find lots of them in my Dollar Store Magic Book 2 on my site). When you pull out the silks from the silk cabby, the rainbow silk is now tied between the red and blue silks. To me, this makes more sense than getting some other prop involved. Several solutions to using the Cabby for this can be found in RFice, Volume 2, but if you have a Cabby, you should be able to figure out how to accomplish this without much difficulty.

But the same is also true of most of the Silk Frame appearances that I know of. Unless you have some strange variation with which I am not familiar, you start with all three silks tied to a pole or something in the center of the frame. You remove the three silks and have two chosen, which are tied back on the pole in the frame at the outer ends. The remaining silk is vanished (again a simple sleight or gimmick vanish is best ... no need for a Silk Cabby), and the vanished silk instantly reappears tied on the pole between the other two silks.

The usual rule for a magic effect is to KISS (Keep It Simple & Stupid) and don't let your props manage your show.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Oops. I apologize. I did a little research for Silk Frames to figure out what you could possibly be referring to and immediately found this: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/automatic-......455.html

I guess that answers your question, but I was not inspired to shell out any money for such a proppy way to perform a simple 20th century trick. Oh, well. I guess I am old and set in my ways.

Good luck.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

skyfire
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of skyfire
Well I did ask if there were any videos of the Mini Silk Cabby and Frame out there so I could see it performed and if it was the same principal as the Automatic Frame. Never did mention anything about the 20th Century effect, so not sure where you came up with that idea, or if that's all you were able to think of. I was thinking more of a Dollar in the Orange variation, where a person tears off the Serial Number, dollar is attached to a silk, and it transfers across the room to the frame. That's all. You may not like the idea, or the props, but I do, and will continue looking into it to see if I can get this to work or not, and maybe not. But I did go to your dollar store and site, but didn't really see anything that I would be looking for. But I definitely do agree with you though, some Magicians probably should keep it Simple and Stupid... Thanks for the advice.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
In that case, I apologize for my apology. Good luck, now that you have a site with the video you requested.
Professor Spellbinder