The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Cannot find a pocket handkerchief, Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I have seen some really neat effects using pocket handkerchiefs in the past and wanted to use some of them. I cannot find one anywhere however!!! I tried using silks but they are translucent and that won't work!!! Please help!!!

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try a men's clothing store inside of a mall.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
As Dynamike suggested, go with a men's clothing store. Preferrably the Men's Wearhouse. I buy mine there whenever I need one. They are shiny and opaque. And for 6 bucks, pretty nice to use.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Can’t find men’s handkerchiefs! In the USA try Sears (men’s department), J.C.Penny’s (men’s department), Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Sam’s Club, and most men’s clothing store. I have checked each of these stores in my area (including three different men’s clothing stores) and found that they all stocked men’s handkerchiefs.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Okay that is really good then. Thank you guys! I believe there is a Men's Wearhouse nearby me and I will be able to pick one up.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
What do you want to do with the handkerchief?

Most inexpensive handkerchiefs (come in packs of 10 or 12) are relatively lightweight and have a rolled hem. These would be good for coin through hank, but not for some other effects -- the indestructible match, for example.

If you are going to do the handkerchief mouse, you should use a larger, heavier (Irish linen) handkerchief. These can be pricey (I have seen them offered in upscale shops for what you would expect to pay for a 36" silk!)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Ask for a "pocket square", rather than a handkerchief. The salesperson should know what you're talking about.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tailor shops will make them to match the linings of your costumes for about the same price as pocket squares ($4-$8). They will even monogram for you. If you can't find a real tailor shop ask your dry cleaners to let you speak to whoever repairs for them. You may meet a friend you will really value in magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
I was in a large local thrift store the other day and on the ends of the clothing aisles they had tons of every kind of handerchief hanging and most were like brand new and under a buck.
Worth a look.
Nick Zender