The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Are silks really silk? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Are the silks we buy for the TT trick and sympathetic silks, etc. real silk or something else? Anyone know the real poop?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, these are real silk. There are many thicknesses and quality of silk. If you have read some of the discussions lately in this forum about silk, you would know the momme, countries, and who is the best and worst countries that supply silk to the U.S. customers.

Why do you ask such a question? As a long time member of the Café, I am sure you have read some of the postings on this topic.
Redhead
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redhead
I would like to take you both because I have posted a thread here asking that question and a few others with no reply. Thank you, Both.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Frank
You have to know your suppliers. I have asked for silks and when I got home, found that what I had was only 30% silk. Which I promptly returned. Always ask what momme they are first. I now buy primarily from the same supplier to insure consistency and quality.
ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Bill,
Me being a long time member of the Café doesn't mean diddly.
I am completely ignorant regarding many topics in magic, and this is one of them.
I like some silk routines, but I'd be guessing at the material. I would assume silk, since they are called silks. But then, so are the Slydini Silks that are really nylon.

I figured Bob Sanders might poke his head in and set me straight. Maybe he's out to lunch. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Frank,

Originally, Slydini, at his lectures, did supply Parachute Silk material, which is much heavier. I cannot comment what all these copies are actually. I have seen a set from Magic Makers, but I cannot comment if they are silk material.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Slydini Silks made by Palmer Magic are the way to go - much better in quality than the "other guys."
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Frank,

You've asked the question that puzzles everyone! Slydini personally taught me Slydini Silks, not only using real silks, but two different colors! Real silks work very well. When I perform it, I let the volunteer choose the colors of silks to use and let them keep one after the routine. (It's always going to be a single. It won't tie the knot for keeps!)

Here is the rub. Tony was a tailor. In his lectures, he wanted something that looked like men's handkerchiefs. Now the problem was telling two things apart that looked alike. (A tailor can solve that problem.) He also needed something unique to sell. Parachute cloth was the answer. (It is also much easier to sew.) I strongly suspect that all the rest is just hype. You do remember Dumbo's magic feather? Why not magic fake silks? (Unfortunately, Nylon will deteriorate in any light. It's useful life is a small fraction of the life of real silk.)

Real silk is labeled 100% pure silk. It is readily available to magicians. If it doesn't say "100% pure silk", assume it is not. (If there is no package for labeling, assume that it is not real silk. Truth in packaging is actually pretty strong in the USA. Removing the label is playing games with the consumer. Ask to see the label if it is not part of the packaging. It must say country of origin if it is silk.)

All silk in the USA is imported. Imports must be labeled. Something I was taught in law school Torts class was that "The rule of torts in the USA is open season on fools." The law only protects you from imported products. Domestic products get the breaks. (Never forget, only domestic producers can elect lawmakers in the USA. Foreign producers can't vote. They are neither represented nor protected by the law, except from each other. And even that is questionable. Therefore, different labeling standards are actually applied.) Look for the labels, and don't pay silk prices for Nylon. I don't think anyone makes the cheap rayon blends anymore. But life is full of surprises.

It is a good question, and near and dear to those who spend their money thinking that all "silk" is actually silk. You have a right to know.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Hi,

Anyone have suggestions for alternate material that could be used as silks (for vanishing in a TT) for the silk to apple trick? I'm thinking of a cheap fabric I can buy in bulk, since the effect requires a silk to be signed/given away each performance.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Do you give fake flowers?

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com