The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: American Flag Blendo (Flag-in-a-bag) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Where can I get a good quality American Flag Blendo? The one I use sags in the middle of the flag at the bottom and the flag itself has stains on it. These are printers ink stains and as such will not come out of the material. Also I cannot afford the $100 flags at this point in time. So my next question is should I just wait until I can get the high dollar bag or is there a lower priced bag that will be just as good. (Mine is the $30-$40 version) Thanx

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The quality of these is not that great. I got one from one dealer...so bad I sent it back for credit. Then I got another from another dealer...better but not marvelous by any means. The good news is, on the second one, it was pretty good and I was able to "clean it up" with some fabric pens. All the marks were lack of dye on the red and blue. When I was done it looked pretty good. Also, if they get damp the darn dye or ink runs too. I went over it, when it was done, with scotchguard..so it will probably last now.

If I was not happy with it, I would just get a flag that would work and have someone who sews make one for me...based on the other one. It really is not that complicated. I have seen some great flags, much like the ones in the blendo but better made, for $6 or $7 at Target. As a result of 9/11, a number of US flags are available at good prices.
quack
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Get P&A to make you one with a blue silk bag. It will look great and out last both of us.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bob,

P&A are not available, I read on another string that he has had a stroke. They are not answering email or the telephone according to the string.

Hope, they are okay, they do have the best quality even if their silk is a little heavy.

Bill
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
May I suggest Silk King Studios...this may not be what you're looking for, but I find this to be the best source for fine silks, books and silk effects. May I quote from the Rice site:

"Rice's 50 Star Junior Blendo"

Three 12" Spectrum solid silks change into a 16" x 24" flag. Rice’s silk flags make this effect ideal. The performer exhibits 3-12" Spectrum solid color red, white, and blue silks. The silks are tied together and then change instantly into an American Flag measuring 16" x 24". The flag may be shown on both sides, as the effect is self-contained. Our flag blendo requires no skill when our simple instructions are followed. Due to the soft compacting qualities of our exclusive line of flags, the entire effect packs into less than half the space occupied by other flag blendos on the market.

You're looking at over a hundred bucks, but this will last you the rest of your life, if you take care of it...I still have Rice silks that are thirty years old, yet other silks have rotted away (read: Seracin)...

(Sorry to hear about P & A...much prayer for him and his family during what must be a VERY difficult time...Smile)

Sure hope this helps a bit!

Doug
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

I am sorry to hear that Peter is having a problem too. It has been years since we have talked. The last time I talked to him he was still teaching band.

Dave tells me Denny & Lee have a good inventory of P&A silks. That may help you get what you seek, quickly.

There was a time when Ted Sudds would be the man to see too. For years he made some very nice blendos marketed as "What's New". I have lost contact with him.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Last year I got a flag in a bag from India. It was inexpensive, but very useable and what I expected for the price. One of the few things from India I have ever been able to use in a show. It was basically the Suds trick with a flag. It has gotten a good response as part of a patriotic routine I've done with silks and music that was in Laflin's newsletter this past March.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Stephenbanning,

I'm surprised and happy that you found the trick with silks from India worked for you. It is a great trick. However, as an importer, I'm very shocked that the silk work was acceptable. I have imported (for my other businesses) from India since the 1960s. Wood and brass items have been outstanding for the price. But my experience with silk was embarrassing. Therefore, I still import silk from China. Should I reconsider?

Congratulations! You certainly can't argue with success and a happy customer.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
I have the Ickle Pickle flag bag and it is great. Looks fine and the price is right.

Silking
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
I recently bought a Bag to Flag and I'm not very happy with the quality. After practicing it just a few times, the loops are already starting to pull away from the seams (poorly made) and the outside lining is starting to snag even though we are careful with it. It will definitely not hold up long!

I am planning on making one on my own. I just wanted to get your impression on using velvet as the outside bag. Do you think it will 'drag' during presentation or do you think it will work? I just feel it would be a sturdier and longer lasting product, if it doesn't hinder the change.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Magic4ewe,

I would be afraid to try velvet, because I don't believe it would allow the working to be smooth enough. It would be bulkier also. I think you should consider a good quality satin material.

Silking,

Where did you purchase the Ickle Pickle Flag Bag? Does it have the American Flag on both sides when produced?

Regan
Mister Mystery
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Thanks for your input Regan. You confirmd my suspicions. I will look for a nicer satin for the outside.

What about the flags themselves. The ones in mine, like mentioned above, came stained and in poor quality. Can I use a lightweight nylon flag found at local stores or do you think those need to be silk?

Thanks again!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 12:15, Regan wrote:
Magic4ewe,

I would be afraid to try velvet, because I don't believe it would allow the working to be smooth enough. It would be bulkier also. I think you should consider a good quality satin material...

Regan

In a prop velvet is typically a bad deal. It's way too heavy. Even for drapes and curtains we use robe velour because of the differences in weight. Neither moves like silk. They also kill light. Silk uses it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
There you have it, magic4ewe. Bob is the man that knows all about silks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
magic4ewe
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of magic4ewe
Thank you both very much for your input! I will definitely scratch the velvet idea and go to a high quality satin.

Your comments are appreciated!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

Thanks for credit for the super qualifications. Now if it were only true...

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Ah, but true it is, Bob. Your reputation as the expert on silks is well known.

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would make it with regular flags but I reinforce the strain points with satin. You are not dealing with a bult problem here so silk is unnecessry.

Bob"s imports are good silk but I prefer a thicker silk in a prepared blendo situation. Of course, the flag could be sewn a piece of sating and then put together. But I do tend to over build a bit as I hate to have things break on me.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.