The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Coming undone... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bizzaro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Bizzaro
My sanity at least. So how about this one? Let's say you have to cut a silk for some reason or another and your sewing skills are lax, so to keep it from fraying, how would you finish the edges? (Such as what do they use to keep the holes nice and shiny on the knots of silks?)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Learn to sew, its not as hard as it looks and any type of "sealer" for seams is going to severely hinder the silk's compressability and will catch on the edges of your production device.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bizzaro
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Bizzaro
Well technically I am not using a production device. That's why I ask.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5937 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Actually a product called Frey Check could work wonders for you. Try it on the silk first, it may leave the material in a discolored (wet looking) condition.
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Several years ago Daryl recommended hair spray. It is supposed to prevent fraying, I hope it does.

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
One thing that might work is something called liquid stitch. You won't need a lot. If it leaves the material too stiff, just wash it several times and it should loosen up. I use this stuff all the time for times when I just don't want to drag out the sewing machine..well, actually it's more like move the junk out from in front of the sewing machine. This stuff is available in fabric stores, craft stores, and fabric/craft sections of your local Wal-Mart.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2002-09-25 03:33, Tom Cutts wrote:
Actually a product called Frey Check could work wonders for you. Try it on the silk first, it may leave the material in a discolored (wet looking) condition.

The stuff is really just white glue. At least the stuff that I got is. It's easy to apply to the very edges of the cut, using a Q-tip, although it's time consuming.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4863 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bizarro: I have used the Frey Check several times and it works just fine. If you are talking about making some fancy cut, or want a silk in a certain size or shape, you may want to contact Peter White at P&A silks. He will do custom work for you. Depends on how perfect you want the silk to look.

Dave
Where the magic begins
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
use a serger