The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Can anyone custom make Color Changing Streamer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm aware of the regular colour changing streamer, and the jumbled numbers silk.

From the description of this trick (link below), I would guess that it works on the colour changing streamer principle, too. I hadn't heard of this trick before, so maybe it's new.

--> "Birthday Banner Dye", on Fab Magic website

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Hey, Dynamike. I know you are looking for a streamer that changes from a solid to flowers which makes sense since you have been doing more flower magic. I don't have any suggestions about that but thought I would offer another recommendation should it appeal to you (although you may very well be aware of this already). There is Warren Stephens' Mismade Flower Bouquet silk routine. You start off with a blank silk then it becomes a slik with a black and white sketch of a bouquet of flowers. You then ask children to throw colors at it and now you have a silk with the colors are splattered on and around the bouquet. And finally the silk shows a beautifully colored bouquet of flowers. When I do this routine I usually finish the routine by inserting this final silk into a botania canister and produce the botania. The room gets filled with oohs and ahhs..... but you know that already from all the flowers you produce.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The trick Jimmy is referring to:

--> "Scribbled", made by Wonder Imagery

From the description, it includes routines for Warren Stephens' Mis Made Flowers and for Scribbled.

This is a different set of silks than "Paint my Flower", from Laflin Magic.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 12:59, Donald Dunphy wrote:
The trick Jimmy is referring to:

--> "Scribbled", made by Wonder Imagery

From the description, it includes routines for Warren Stephens' Mis Made Flowers and for Scribbled.

This is a different set of silks than "Paint my Flower", from Laflin Magic.

- Donald

Thanks for providing the link, Donald. That is exactly the one I was referring to in my post. In Encyclopedia of Silk Magic Volume 4 there are instructions on performing this with a bouquet of feather flowers but you would have to build this yourself or have some else do it for you. A few years ago, I had thought of asking Richard Hughes to make that up for me (may still ask him to do that later on this year), but I revised it for myself by using a botania.
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Guys, I would think about doing a sleight of hand color change. There are some amazing load that can be done with a silk winder or a palm. Now you can work with the white streamer.

I think it could be a much better effect than the standard color changing streamer.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Are there any videos on someone performing with a Silk Winder?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Paul Diamond had a video on how to use it. I don't of any Performing. I have made a brief instructional video how to use my silk winder but have not put together a video of the uses. I guess I should put that on my bucket list.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for the information Jimmy. That is a creative idea.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dynamike, what you actually are looking for is a blendo effect. There is many other alternatives performing a Blendo effect. Crystal Silk Cyclinder. Dye Tube in rolled paper. Sleight of hand version called Abbott's Blendo by Ross Bertram, just instructions that Abbott's sold for a dollar. Did not find it on their website, ask Craig if they plan to make it available on line. Silk Cabby's as well.

That Japanese Flower Silk you have was also available in 18", Marko Tendo use to sell a sleight of hand blendo of 3 silks to the large on. Only used 2 - 18" and your 36".

This is similar to Tendo Blendo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9xFI3htn3c&feature=youtu.be
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like that Blendo effect on the video. I got a lot more thinking to do.

I will be more specific on the effect I am looking forward to perform using the Color Changing Streamer. Jeff McBride teaches the effect on one of his videos. First change the color of the streamer. Next, stroke multiple Spring Flowers from the ends of the streamer. Using a Silk Winder might make it difficult to steal the Spring Flowers, or to ditch while the Spring Flowers are ready for production. I wanted the Color Changing Streamer to look different to magicians, instead of showing the same old Color Changing Streamer because I want to use it for a contest. What do you guys think?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bill, you just gave me another idea. Instead of me using the Color Changing Streamer in the effect to produce the Spring Flowers, use a small solid silk instead. Next make two more silks appear leading to the Blendo. The Blendo effect should be a stronger effect than the Color Changing Silk.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mike, check Rice Encyclopedia, a silk winder only prepares the silk for production. I remember that McBride routine, can't remember the set up with the flowers. Petrick had a flower production that would work for you. Produce singles from the silk, then tie a knot and as it tightens a bouquet of spring flower appears tied around the silk. It was how the singles are produced that makes it interesting to watch. They are produced as you stroke the silk left and right and it appears near the end. Maybe I am mixing McBride and Petrick's tricks together, been a while. Just to much information to keep separated in my head.

My opinion is the I do not like the streamer idea at all. It is sold by the dozens by magic dealers to go with the coloring book.

I think you would be better off just producing the large silk magically, cascading from your hand. Then go into your flowers. The old cummerbund steal would work very well with your formal suit. Either the Eric Lewis production of a large silk between the hands or just loop steal would work, Maybe even the John Blake Flash Silk Appearance may work being your flower silk is so thin, although it may get in the way of other production methods. http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/60.013.htm

Mike check your Emails.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-11 09:54, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Mike, check Rice Encyclopedia, a silk winder only prepares the silk for production.

Oops, my bad. LOL

You are giving tons of information Bill. I can see this is going to be fun to put together. I can't wait. I appreciate how you are being my mentor.

Sorry, I am going to have to leave now. The "Deluxe Flight of Flowers" I purchased from Richard just arrived. I have to go practice with it now. When I'm done I will be back.

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I tend to agree with you Bill on the CC streamers. I think a sleight of hand method would be stronger and much more unique.

Mike, I will look at your other request and try to come up with something.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 22:41, hugmagic wrote:
Guys, I would think about doing a sleight of hand color change.

Quote:
On 2014-02-11 13:48, hugmagic wrote:
I think a sleight of hand method would be stronger and much more unique.

I should have listened to you the first time. LOL. You are right. The Blendo will work. I will kick the Color Changing Streamer to the curb.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am still up working on the changes. After watching that video Bill, I decided to include a couple of parasols in my act.

I already have 10" silks for the Blendo. I will use three silks. I came up with an idea when using the Blendo. I show the 3 silks while passing them from one hand to the other one by one. When I am passing the second one to my opposite hand, the third one (unpassed) falls on the floor accidentally. Two are passed in one hand already. The other hand is empty. A silk is on the floor. I look surprised as I look down towards the floor, noticing it fell. The silk suddenly comes up back to my fingers tips. Now that's the hard part. When I try using the secret the natural way, it gets tangled at times. I might purchase the Tarantula. If I use I.T. I am afraid of it breaking. I will have to be so careful. If I use a reel, I do not think the silk will be heavy enough to unwind it. If I have the reel unwound/loose already, it might get tangled and break. The same thing when using The Boss and other similar items that use I.T.