The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: In need of short impromptu trick ideas for TV show!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
This producer/director is asking me about magic tricks for his new television show (name and release dates not allowed out yet). He wants close-up effects that can be done without a table, and in under 20 seconds. I know we're talking about very few tricks that fit this, but I knew you guys here at Magic Cafe would have some ideas. Impromptu stuff is probably best, but please write about card, coin and other stuff too. I also droped a simmilar note to the "Lights...Camers...Action" forum since that has to do with TV stuff. Thanks for the help!! You guys are awsome!

Justin Smile Smile
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Man, thats tough. I suppose you could do a Jeff McBride Or Peter Marvey card manipulation routine.

Jakks
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
As far as TV magic goes you might check out the book Lights! Camera! Magic!, found on the SPSMAGIC.com website. It’s practically an encyclopedia of effects that work well on television.
TOBIAS
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle Magic
221 Posts

Profile of TOBIAS
Jay Sankey's Back in time is perfect. The host picks a card you have him remember the image of where the card was taken. Replace the card mix face up into face down. Display the cards. Give him a card (That wasn't his)tell him to wave it over the pack and all the cards will straightn out leaving them all face done. Now the way you are holding the cards is in the same way he was suppost to remember. You say "This is the image I told you to remember. Right after you looked at your card but just before you put it back right?" take a look...
He has his card in his hand. The card can be signed or what ever. You have a time limit thou.

Remember if he is involved he will sell the effect for you."That was amazing did you see that? This kid is truely magical!!!
Just sit back and take it in...
Quick / No table / No set up / No angles / and strong as hell.
You are very welcome.
Smile
Be true to your art, and it will be true to you
mike4dice
View Profile
New user
Randolph, NJ
84 Posts

Profile of mike4dice
2 things come to mind...

mismade bill/bill switch

John Kennedy's Dollar Monte

mike Smile
"Talents are best nurtured in solitude; but character is best formed in the stormy billows of the world." - Goethe
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3102 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Is this another Masked Magician Show ??
Will they be revealing how the effects are done ?? Hmmmmmm??
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Haha, not tricks will be revealed David. They wanted quick things with everyday objects or cards. So coin stuff works well too. Mike4dice, I like your idea with the mismade bill or switch! Thanks for all the great ideas! Keep em' coming because their looking for one trick every episode. And I only have 20 sec. That's the part that stinks. 15 min. of fame has now been reduced to seconds. What is this world coming too! Smile

Justin
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Color changing knives? They are always good. Are gimmicked effects allowed?
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Brian, gimmicked effects are allowed and maybe even better because the camera wouldn't have any chance of catching a slight of hand move. Smile

What's the name of the effect where a folded card flips over visually as you push it back and forth under another folded card? Someone said that would be good, but I need to know where I could find the method. Anyone know of a book, video or something? Thanks
Justin Smile
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Justin,

On jay Sankey's Coin video, there is a wonderful coin bending effect that is designed for TV. I could not imagine doing it for close-up audiences, but it will play well on TV..... Smile
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
There is always an abbreviated sponge ball routine, where you put a ball in each hand, and one joins the other, and then you have this happen to a spectator.

Believe it or not, this seems like a complete routine--and--since it's modular, it really is complete.

--Ron
Risto L.
View Profile
Regular user
Finland
174 Posts

Profile of Risto L.
Quote:
What's the name of the effect where a folded card flips over visually as you push it back and forth under another folded card? Someone said that would be good, but I need to know where I could find the method. Anyone know of a book, video or something?

It`s Roy Walton`s Card Warp. There is a manuscript for sale and it costs about 3 bucks. It`s also on one of the Ammar`s Easy to Master Card Miracle tapes. It is very visual, quick and unusual and therefore just perfect for TV. Card Warp has been discussed here quite frequently so you may be able to find some good presentation ideas and tips as well. Hope this helps.

:bigdance:

Risto
Justin Flom
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Justin Flom
Hey, thanks for the ideas! These are very helpful.

Justin Smile