The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Name these tricks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I saw this performer named Criss Angel on a TV show and I was wondering what tricks he did? These were impomptu tricks which were quick:
  1. Borrows a cigarette from a bystander and vanishes it barehanded without sleeves
  2. Borrows a cigarette then magically sticks it inside his nose and it vanishes, he also did this trick without sleeves
  3. Opens a beer, empties the bottle, he then gets the bottle cap and slams it through the bottle and it is found inside the bottle and the only way to get the cap is by breaking the bottle.
Could you name these impromptu effects? I would like to learn these soon.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
I can tell you are new at this. I think you need to study magic more. Read a book, it's all there. Get the Tarbell Course in Magic.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well, oddly enough the first trick is called The Vanishing Cigarette, the second one is called Cigarette Up The Nose and the last one, (I think) is called Bottlecap in Bottle.

Not that that will help much. None of them are impromptu either (well #2 can be depending on where you are).

The first one is available and every magic shop I've ever visited but it can't be learned from a book or online. You have to purchase it. It's also the one most people will know (because so many have been sold in magic shops) and the one you're most likely to be busted on.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
That's very true wsduncan. Not just magic shops, I think almost every magician has one of these. And yes you will find the first two effects in Tarbell. The last effect is a marketed trick that you can buy from a magic shop.

Andre
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There are at least three different methods of performing the vanishing cigarette. Two require very inexpensive gimmicks. One gimmick is so common that you probably already have it. The other leaves you cleaner but requires some angle management during the initial phase but does allow for you to reproduce the lit cigarette.

In Keith Clark’s book Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks you will find dozens of methods to barehanded, sleeves rolled-up, cigarette vanishes that use only slight of hand. These can all be done impromptu. The book is easily found.

The Cigarette Up the Nose is an old stunt (as well as putting it in the ear, eye, etc.). It is a very, very simple slight. It can be found in Keith Clark’s book, and on Tom Mullica’s video series on cigarette magic.

The bottle cap in bottle trick is another dealer standard. There are at least two marketed versions of this Ray Ben classic (Daryl’s and Scotty York’s). It is not impromptu at all. It requires a gimmick and a set-up.

For under $75.00 USD you can have all of these and more! You could build an entire cigarette act using NO gimmicks with the book and videos I’ve mentioned.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Tara Hall
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Tara Hall
Cigarette magic - always strong.
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
Talking of cigarette magic has anybody seen Quit Smoking by David Stone... if your interested in Cigarette magic that is the DVD for you.
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Tom Mullica must be the King of the cigarette tricks. Pretending to stick a cigarette up your nose is one thing, but swallowing a whole pack of lit cigarettes - that's some trick!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
Impossible Cap Thru Bottle seems a bit expensive. is it worth it?
MinnesotaChef
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis,MN
176 Posts

Profile of MinnesotaChef
You seem young, so a pop bottle trick might be a little more appropriate. I don't drink, so I know. You can simulate the signed cap in bottle very easily and effectively with a plastic pop bottle and a razor blade. It's cheap and believable since most beverages for minors come in plastic bottles. I do it often and it is very surprising. I don't exactly remember where I read the effect, but I think it was in a publicly availible book. PM me and I can point you in the right direction. I hope this helps you in your search.
"Great restaurants are, of course, nothing but brothels.There is no point in going into them if one intends to keep one's belt buckled."- Fredric Raphael