The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Need Help with Pickpocketing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
redghost
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of redghost
Hi,

I'm interested in learning the art of pick pocketing. I don't know where to start, and I’ve tried scouring through Goggle but found nothing.

At the moment I don't have enough money to purchase any videos or books on this topic, so I was wondering if anyone could kindly direct me to some free helpful source, or take me as an apprentice. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Kevin
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Pick Pocketing is a serious art. You are not going to find anything for free.

If you really want to learn, then you should make the effort and save your money.
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
An expensive book is How to Pick Pockets for fun and Profit by Eddie Joesph.

I got mine for like 14 dollars Canadian.

But the one book everyone recommends is Theatrical Pickpockets by Jim Ravel

A bit expensive, but worth the time savings those quarters.
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Click Here!

Don't be put off by the controversial nature of the site.

Oh, and Theatrical Pickpocketing is a great book, but if you're doing street magic, it won't work so well.
redghost
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of redghost
Thanks, everyone. I've been saving all right; it's taking a while but I'm almost there. Smile

By the way, prospero, thanks for the site. It's what I'm looking for. Something to get me started while I'm saving up for the books. I love it. Thanks. Smile
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
The new DVD from James Freedman is a very good start.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Prospero,

Why wouldn't doing theatrical pickpocketing work on the street?

If you can take a watch and not get beat up in a routine, you can easily do the same with items in pockets, as long as you've put the time in. Only difference is that you don't flash the item behind the back of the person, unless it's a big group of people you are doing it to (or if your presentation suits it).
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Theatrical Pickpocketing is meant for a stage area where the patrons/audience are wearing formal wear. Just run through the book and you'll see what I mean. I assume you have it.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Doing a street show and doing pickpocketing is not a good idea. Why? When a real pickpocketer steals a wallet and people know that you can steal, they will come to you.

I was working somewhere, and after my performance a man showed up and asked if I had his wife's watch, because after I was gone her watch was gone too. Later somebody told me that her watch was lying in the car. Until today I am still waiting for an appolagy from them.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

I find that interesting that people say it wouldn't be an interesting thing.

Yet Chappy Brazil does his pickpocketing act on the Street on the Science of Magic in front of I believe Disney World or Universal Studios. (My memory fails me at the moment.)

Now granted Chappy is a pro, and I'm sure presentation was involved, but I honestly can't see why you couldn't do pickpocketing in your act.
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Quote:
On 2004-04-27 10:32, James Harrison wrote:
I honestly can't see why you couldn't do pickpocketing in your act.

You could, but it's not a good idea. When a magician performs a pickpocketing act in an auditorium or in a function room (company banquets), the audience knows he is merely performing a theatrical act. However, the same magician performing the same pickpocketing act on the street may not be readily accepted as a legitimate performing artist. Some spectators may not be sure if he is a criminal/con man pretending to be a magician, or if his act is a genuine magic show or a con game. So when the magician lifts a watch or steals a wallet on the street, the victim-spectator calls the cops. Smile

As I said earlier, not a good idea.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I am with Ben here. it is not the act but if somebody get stolen you're the first one they go to.
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
Can someone tell me if there have been good reviews on How to Pick Pockets by Eddie Joseph. Thanks.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Eddie Joesph's book is the first one that I picked up on the subject. (It was the only book that James 'Man of Steal' Freedman had for a long time too.)

You will learn a lot of ideas from his book. I would recommend getting the How to Pick Pockets for Fun and Profit by Eddie Joesph. It's the same as his How to Pick Pockets Booklet, only the newer one has pictures to help with learning.