The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Magic with your watch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
funemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville NC
231 Posts

Profile of funemagic
Does anybody have any ideas for impromtu/almost impromtu effects using a NORMAL watch?
firewall
View Profile
New user
Rome,Italy
51 Posts

Profile of firewall
Stopping Watches by Magic or PK time!
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
You can mess up your or your spectator's watch doing this! While the effects may not be immediately visible, it can damage the internal mechanisms as well as drain the battery. DO NOT DO IT!

Do some watch steals, have a vanished coin reappear under their watch, but don't stop it with a M*****!
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
firewall
View Profile
New user
Rome,Italy
51 Posts

Profile of firewall
Obviously if you stop the watch you must be very careful. Stop it for just few seconds or the watch will have irreversible damage. Also, I forgot in the previous post watch stealing...it requires a good practice.
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic suggests 20 tricks with a normal watch (pp 565-9).
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Purchase Richard Osterlind's first DVD in the Mind Mysteries set. His "Watch Routine" is very powerful.

Nicholas
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
Paul Harris has a bit in his AoA series whereby you give your watch to a waiter in a restaurant and ask him to walk away and set your watch to any time that he likes. You write down a prediction on a napkin for the person(s) you are dining with. When the waiter brings your watch back, he hands it to your companions who will see that you have correctly predicted the time the waiter chose, TO THE MINUTE. It's a really neat thing to see.

Jay
sbiz
View Profile
New user
George Schindler
2 Posts

Profile of sbiz
Watches—the Watch Trick Jay refers to appeared in my book Magic With Everyday Objects page 142-3, copyright 1976 and is still in print. It pre-dates the reference you offer. Lee Noble of NY used to do this and and he learned it years before. It still works.

George Schindler
Just for the fun of it
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Useing the sylvester move change a coin to a watch.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
409 Posts

Profile of Jay
Quote:
Watches—the Watch Trick Jay refers to appeared in my book Magic With Everyday Objects page 142-3, copyright 1976 and is still in print. It pre-dates the reference you offer. Lee Noble of NY used to do this and and he learned it years before. It still works.

George Schindler

Thanks for the correct reference, George. I only know the trick from Harris' book, so I am glad to know the original credit. It is a great trick.

Best,
Jay
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Larry Davidson has a watch he sells (13 left) that is a NORMAL everyday watch that has a special feature.
This is a GREAT looking watch and a very popular brand name. It is also a Swiss made watch. The feature in this watch was put there by the manufactuer and a magician discovered that you could use it for a prediction.
I have been killing people with this and the best thing is there is NO magician's guilt involved because it is NORMAL!
Go to... The Good the Bad and the Ugly and look at the review on TimeTrix. He posted there about HIS watch. His watch is NOT the TimeTrix watch. His is SO different!
Check it out!

Tim
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Many SWATCH brand watches can be used to do an Impromptue time prediction effect. This is detailed in The Collected Almananc and in Life Savers by Michael Weber.

The effect title in Almanac is "Swatch This", if memory serves.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
How about a coin trick with a, like the dime and penny, where the dime or some other vanished coin appears under your watch.

I've never had the patience to practice or the nerve to do a watch steal, but this would be jaw-dropping. You probably need to do other effects first to establish yourself as a magician and not a thief or a pick-pocket.