The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Switching gears (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I will probably post something similar to this in another forum, but I come here seeking advice. I have been a card magician for a while, but I think it is time for me to branch out to other genres. I do some close-up, and I bought the Mullica impromptu videos, and what I now consider a mistake; I bought the jaw dropper videos, but I was wondering what sources people could refer me to for impromptu magic.

Sick of Cards for now,
Pete
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
On the Spot by Greg Wilson
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
I wouldn't bother with the “Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic” by Martin Gardner. Most of the good stuff is referenced in other sources. Tarbell is good, and a great value from the http://www.Lybrary.com/ as an ebook.
Cheers
Shanester

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say that I love “On the Spot.” The stuff is so useable.
Shanester
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try Dan Harlan's.
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Thanks Dynamike.
Do you mean the impromptu magic series or are the other ones by Dan any good?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
All I know about is his volume 1 of Rubberbands and his impromptu 3 volume tapes. They are good.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I would have to disagree with Shanester on the “Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic.” It's an immense tome with tons of great stuff in it. Best $35 you will spend for a long time, in my personal opinion.

Tarbell is a classic and essential, so we agree there.

Harlan's rubber band videos are good, especially the first two of the three.

Daryl's Fooler Doolers (at least volume 2, which is the only one I have at this time) has some great stuff, like Millikin's Transposition, Tenkai's Decapitation (which also works for stage) and Ropes Through Body (2 variations.)

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
Looks like the “On the Spot” videos win out. I'll pick them up. Based on most people's feedback and the reviews on penguin, these look pretty good. Thanks again for all of your help.

Pete
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I actually think that Dan Harlan’s “Impromptu Magic” series is a better value than Wilson’s “On the Spot”. Simply put, there are just more individual tricks and more variety in the tricks on the Harlan tapes. Thus an individual wanting to learn a few impromptu tricks has a larger selection from which to find something that fits their performing style.

Tom Mullica put out a series of videotapes on impromptu magic that are excellent. However, I suspect that they will be difficult to find.

The Martin Gardner book mentioned above is a must have. Sure you could buy the hundreds of books that he went through to build his work of impromptu magic. But then you would have to dig through them and find the various impromptu tricks. Why bother when Martin has already done it for you?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Harry,
I have a problem with the Gardner book as I have found that when intrigued by a trick I find it is only referenced (e.g. Japanese Thumb Tie etc.) Can you give me and other Café members a few (say 5) good tricks from the book (just page numbers, not methods) so we can appreciate it? I don't know, maybe I'm not seeing the wood for the trees

I have the book and would like to see the best of it

Thanks,
Shanester
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
P. 392. muscle reading.

P. 400 R. C. Buff Napkin Vanish

P. 500 Jack Miler on Sefalaljia

P. 445 paper clip section

P.226 Edwin Tabor's Pull Apart Hanks, the basis for the Jaspernese Thumb Tie.

Just for starters.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I guess you really did miss the forest for the trees! True there are many shortfalls to the book. You mentioned the poor presentation (non-presentation) of the Thumb-tie. There are others.

But to say that you could glean nothing from the book makes me wonder.

I remember a videotape act that was a big hit about a year ago. It was Quentin Reynolds’ “Five Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief”. Every trick he used except one is found in the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. It even includes the Magic Mouse handkerchief fold. Frankly, the instruction for that fold sold more of Quentin’s videotapes than any other single reason. See pages 218 – 221 for some of the tricks.

I had built an entire 10-minute silk/silk routine just from the book. I used unlinking hanks (the same thing that Slydini used) from page 228, pull apart hanks (#15 on pg 226) and the dissolving knot (# 22 on page 230). I also used the mouse (#82 on page 261) years before Quentin put out his act on tape. I included Davis’ penetration routine (Pg 454) with my hank routine.

I also use some the Haunted Key (Pg 275 #1 and #1), linking matches (#1 Pg 302-303 and the Piano trick (310 # 7) but with pairs of colorful socks rather than matches.

I have used the knife and bits of paper paddle routine that is seen starting on page 279 (#1). Plus I have included some of the dice moves from pages 138 – 140 in a larger die routine.

I have used the Lulu Hurst Balance Stunts (Pgs 42-43) at parties. And I use the two geek stunts with needles (pg 476 #’s 1 and 2).

There are a series of “Book Tests” outlined on pages 29-31 worth looking at and knowing.

I also use the fake ripping a bill in half gag (pg 18), the tearing a bill into two bills (pg18) and the bill fold that makes one bill appear to be two (pg 22).

There is a cigar routine that I have used (pg 56) and several newspaper stunts (all used by Anderson and in his Newspaper book) starting on Pg 409.

In fact, you will find the many threaded needle trick that Tommy Wonder has been doing for over twenty years (and included on his new DVD’s) on page 405 (# 4).

Honestly, if you need to have a routine totally spelled out for you (patter, presentation points, moves, etc.) then this is NOT the book for you! If you simply want to be a clone of some other magician, then this book is NOT for you! If, on the other hand, you can take a bare bones idea/secret, or three and build a routine that is uniquely yours (as did Quentin Reynolds) then this book is a gold mine.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
Wow, thanks.
I was previously put off by the betchas and cheesy stuff in the book, but you've both helped me get a little focus.
Much appreciated
Shane