The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Spectator Can't Lift Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I saw Dynamo and another magician on youtube do a trick where the spectator is unable to lift the magician. Does anyone know the name of the trick and where it can be found? Thanks
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
There are a number of "effects" with this premise that are based on pure physics. I do know how to execute some of them in performance, but unfortunately, I do no know the names of any of them either. Sorry I could not be of more help.

By the way, I believe Dynamo may be on this forum (I could be wrong about that too). If you search for him and ask, he may be able to help you more.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Dynamo says his Grandad taught him the trick to help him stop being bullied.
Certainly a great thing to be able to do!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
I just found it in Mysterio's Encyclopedia of Magic and Conjuring! Thanks guys
FranciscoDancon
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of FranciscoDancon
Sorry, but I feel like I just have to reveal the secret behind this effect. It is the one magic trick that I am an expert at, and I always get huge laughs from everyone when I perform it. Here is the secret: I haven't had the time to go to the gym lately, and I've been eating a lot of fast food. No one can lift me!!!!!! Smile
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Hi,

This is part of the field of body magic and there are several books dealing with this area. You may want to look at the works of the Georgia Wonder.

Sincerely yours,

Jonathan
Adrian King
View Profile
New user
I "Like"
82 Posts

Profile of Adrian King
Quote:
On 2011-08-28 14:18, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
Dynamo says his Grandad taught him the trick to help him stop being bullied.
Certainly a great thing to be able to do!

Yes - only if said bully lifts you up under your armpits and you get a hold of their elbows.
I'm only 5'6" or so and 11 stone, yet people cannot lift me at the best of times; so it's pointless for me to do this effect. Steven Frayne is the same height as me (I met him once, briefly - nice fella!) and very skinny (he has a medical condition) and says that he weighs 8 stone on the show. Bearing this in mind, this is the perfect effect for him to do, along with the tale about his Grandad; but it does not suit all of us.
I'm going to teach this to the children (9-11 year olds) in my after school magic club in January as I think they'll have a lot more use out of it. Plus, it is genuinely impromptu and requires absolutely no gimmicks or equipment.
John Raff M
View Profile
Loyal user
Republic of Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of John Raff M
Derren Brown did that exact same trick on one of his Mind Control specials many years ago. It's ridiculously simple and impromptu to perform.
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
314 Posts

Profile of Suren
There is another variation of this trick which I like more. In that version 4 spectators, using index finger, at first can't lift one person who is sitting on the chair. Then you do your magic and they easily lift him up. I saw Richard Osterlind perform it, great trick!
Anne
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
18 Posts

Profile of Anne
Hi, I don't knwo if Im right, but think I learned something famiiliar on the self-defence trainings Smile
It's about soem certain stance and weight you have to work with. I'm not the heaviest person myself, and I don't know if I can still do this, but we once practiced; someone did lift me without any problems the first time, after the practice, this person could barely move me. It was the first time we did this.
Is this the effect you're talking about?
My responce it somewhat late, I learned it on rock- and water practice. At least, freely translated from Dutch, it should be called something like this.

You can always ask me if you don't know the answer yet, I might be able to explain, not sure, tough Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Just use heavy magicians, easy trick. Smile